Local Wellness Policy
Kaizen Education Foundation dba Discover U is promotes healthy schools by supporting wellness, good nutrition, and physical activity as part of the total learning environment. Discover U is dedicated to providing a school environment that enhances learning and development of lifelong wellness practices.
- The school will participate in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. Food served on campus will meet all Nutritional Standards designated by the USDA.
- All students will have an opportunity to eat healthy, well balanced meals at minimal or no charge.
- Provide students with a school environment that is safe, clean, comfortable, and allows adequate time and space for consumption of meals.
- Discover U does not participate in selling food items or Smart Snacks.
- Students will have access to free, safe, and fresh drinking water throughout the school day.
- The school will provide skim and 1% milk to students.
- Soda will not be available for sale on school grounds.
- Nutrition One – offers Food Rules – a representative comes to the school once a quarter to promote a new food they want to incorporate into the menu. They encourage all students to try new food, eat fruit and vegetables by giving out stickers.
- Nutrition education shall be integrated within the comprehensive health education curriculum and be taught at every grade level.
- Students will be encouraged to start each day with a healthy breakfast.
- The school, not just the classroom, shall support the nutrition education program and be linked to the school meal program.
- The school will provide nutrition education through the use of the schools announcements, newsletters and website.
- All stakeholders will be provided the opportunity to give feedback on wellness goals through our website, email or open house events.
Physical Education & Physical Activity:
- Physical Education classes are available for all students in grades K-6.
- All students in grades Pre-K-6 shall receive daily supervised recess.
- Students in grades K-6 will receive approximately 80 minutes per week of physical education instruction in addition to 80 minutes of recess per week.
- School promotes physical activity through school events such as Field Day.
Promote Student Wellness:
- The school will create a school health advisory council (SHAC), to develop, monitor review and revise the Local Wellness Policy annually. The SHAC, which may consist of NSLP coordinator, parents, students, school administrators, Physical Education Instructors, Health Education instructors, Board Members, will serve as a resource the school for implementing these policies.
- Marketing food and beverage: marketing and advertising will only be allowed for foods and beverages that meet the Smart Snacks in School nutrition standards. This applies to exterior vending machines, posters, menu boards, coolers, trash cans and cups used for beverage dispensing.
- Policy recommendations are available via email and at the Local Wellness Policy meeting.
Implementation and Monitoring:
- To ensure implementation of the LWP, the policy will be posted on the schools website. Nancy Englund will be responsible for monitoring policy implementation and distributing pertinent information to the schools.