Hammonton Green Committee Minutes March 4, 2019
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero XMica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
X Kerri Patton __Sara Verrillo XJen Rajkowski __Steve Doran
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dave Yeager (Sustainable Hamilton Township), Kathia Ramirez, Dan Bachalis, Eric Schmehl, Steven Pistone (Hammonton Gazette), Steve McGahee
- Events and Projects:
Community Garden Update
- Amy will share 2019 garden flyer
- Jen will distribute to ShopRite nutritionist
- Jen will create a “slip sheet” to send home w/ kids at daycare
- Jen will be liaison between Eagle Theatre show “Native Plants” and possibility of listing Comm Garden in program.
- Kathia announced that the new group Hammonton Health Coalition will have a mixer on March 22 at the Family Services Center
- CATA requested 5 plots
- Amy offered to follow up with gardeners who have not yet declared their interest to return
- Dave Yeager visited from the Hamilton Township to inquire about our garden’s experience with ACUA’s EcoSoil. Everyone mentioned success & positive experiences with their soil.
- 3/13 Plastics Subcommittee meeting, 6:00 pm @ Casciano
- Planning large-scale art project, potential tie-in with Lake Cleanup
- Mica & Dan will lead the meeting
Environmental Commission Update
- Proposal for GC to sign onto Dan’s letter of support for the Town to purchase 3 parcels of land to be added to municipal Open Space. Details were not readily available. GC Voted to support this initiative.
- $20,000 grant application was submitted to fund town EV charging station & apply extra funds toward purchase of EV for Town use. Grant results should be available within a few months.
Mother’s Club Meeting
- Jen will attend March 13th meeting and provide update on Toy Swap.
- 2nd Wednesdays @ Rocco’s, 8:00 pm
Sustainable Jersey planning
- Prescription collection day collected 25 pounds of materials from 19 individuals. Mica will include Lt. Friel’s report in Sustainable Jersey documentation.
- Mica will invite Brian Wilson from JTAC to Green Day, connect w/ Lt. Friel for proper disposal bags (rather than going through GC).
- Dan shared a draft resolution for Complete Streets policy.
- Creative Assets team was created to list Hammonton’s creative efforts & artists. Next meeting will be Monday, March 25th at 6:00 pm at HAC.
- Next full Sustainable Jersey conversation will be on Wednesday, March 27th after the Garden 101 (around 7:30 pm).
- Lake Cleanup March 30th, 10:00-12:00
- Spring Green Drinks April 12th at Three 3s, 7:00 pm.
- April 3rd Thursday tabling w/ PPA (4/18)-- GC will hand out trees saplings, garden flyers, upcoming events, reusable bags, other information, Quick Home Energy Check (Tom Hatch); Mica will get table & tablecloth, bags, etc.
- Town-wide Cleanup 5/4 at 9:00 am; GC members can lead clean up crews as assigned by Cassie
- Rain Barrel Workshop @ Canoe Club 5/4 12:30-2:30. Dave offered to store & bring barrels, Mica will put him in touch with Naomi.
- May 4th Garden workday was moved to May 5th.
- Wasted! Documentary screening- Jen
- Toy recycling event?- Jen (3rd Thursday in May)
- Movie screening in Community Garden?- Jen
2. Open Floor
- Pollinator Garden dates are being set and Dan will be reaching out to volunteer groups
- Red Cross volunteer day- scheduled for June 1; pre-event & HS volunteers needed a week before to distribute door hanger notices of 6/1 opportunity. We will also be distributing information for ACE’s QHEC program.
3. Next Garden/GC Meeting: April 1st, 7:00 pm