Hammonton Green Committee Minutes  March 4, 2019
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall

Green Committee Members:

X Jeanette DePiero  XMica McCullough  X Amy Menzel  X Linda Esposito  
X Kerri Patton      __Sara Verrillo   XJen Rajkowski  __Steve Doran

Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dave Yeager (Sustainable Hamilton Township), Kathia Ramirez, Dan Bachalis, Eric Schmehl, Steven Pistone (Hammonton Gazette), Steve McGahee

  1. Events and Projects:

PROJECT

STATUS/ACTIONS NEEDED:

Community Garden Update

  • Amy will share 2019 garden flyer
  • Jen will distribute to ShopRite nutritionist
  • Jen will create a “slip sheet” to send home w/ kids at daycare
  • Jen will be liaison between Eagle Theatre show “Native Plants” and possibility of listing Comm Garden in program.
  • Kathia announced that the new group Hammonton Health Coalition will have a mixer on March 22 at the Family Services Center
  • CATA requested 5 plots
  • Amy offered to follow up with gardeners who have not yet declared their interest to return
  • Dave Yeager visited from the Hamilton Township to inquire about our garden’s experience with ACUA’s EcoSoil. Everyone mentioned success & positive experiences with their soil.  

Plastics Subcommittee

  • 3/13 Plastics Subcommittee meeting, 6:00 pm @ Casciano
  • Planning large-scale art project, potential tie-in with Lake Cleanup
  • Mica & Dan will lead the meeting

Environmental Commission Update

  • Proposal for GC to sign onto Dan’s letter of support for the Town to purchase 3 parcels of land to be added to municipal Open Space. Details were not readily available. GC Voted to support this initiative.
  • $20,000 grant application was submitted to fund town EV charging station & apply extra funds toward purchase of EV for Town use. Grant results should be available within a few months.

Mother’s Club Meeting

  • Jen will attend March 13th meeting and provide update on Toy Swap.
  • 2nd Wednesdays @ Rocco’s, 8:00 pm

Sustainable Jersey planning 

  • Prescription collection day collected 25 pounds of materials from 19 individuals. Mica will include Lt. Friel’s report in Sustainable Jersey documentation.
  • Mica will invite Brian Wilson from JTAC to Green Day, connect w/ Lt. Friel for proper disposal bags (rather than going through GC).
  • Dan shared a draft resolution for Complete Streets policy.
  • Creative Assets team meeting will occur at HAC on Monday, March 25th at 6:00 pm.
  • Next full Sustainable Jersey conversation will be on Wednesday, March 27th after the Garden 101 (around 7:30 pm).

 Upcoming Events

  • Lake Cleanup March 30th, 10:00-12:00
  • Spring Green Drinks April 12th at Three 3s, 7:00 pm.  
  • April 3rd Thursday tabling w/ PPA (4/18)-- GC will hand out trees saplings, garden flyers, upcoming events, reusable bags, other information, Quick Home Energy Check (Tom Hatch); Mica will get table & tablecloth, bags, etc.  
  • Town-wide Cleanup 5/4 at 9:00 am; GC members can lead clean up crews as assigned by Cassie
  • Rain Barrel Workshop @ Canoe Club 5/4 12:30-2:30. Dave offered to store & bring barrels, Mica will put him in touch with Naomi.
  • May 4th Garden workday was moved to May 5th.

Potential Events

  • Wasted! Documentary screening- Jen
  • Toy recycling event?- Jen (3rd Thursday in May)
  • Movie screening in Community Garden?- Jen

        

2. Open Floor

3. Next Garden/GC Meeting: April 1st, 7:00 pm