1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
4 cups apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (approx. 4 to 5 apples)
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp butter, cold, cut into slices
1. In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar and beat together until fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix together well. Then add the flour and mix together until well combined and is crumbly.
2. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper, leaving some hanging out over the sides for later.
3. Bake the prepared crust at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, remove from oven and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, continue to maintain temperature.
5. In a medium bowl, mix the prepared apples with the flour and sugar. Mix together well until all apples are coated with the flour/sugar.
6. Evenly place prepared apples in the pan on top of the baked crust.
7. In a medium bowl mix together the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Then using a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
8. Spread crumbling topping in an even layer over top of the apple mixture filling.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes uncovered, or until topping is golden.
10. Let cool completely. Then lift the apple crisp, using the extra parchment paper on the sides, and cut into square bars. Makes 12 bars.