Published using Google Docs
September 15, 2020
Updated automatically every 5 minutes


September 2020

LIAC remains open and ready to serve families!

We can help! Reach us TODAY!

516-248-2222 ext. 10 (Nassau)  

631-234-0467 ext. 10 (Suffolk)

Visit us online at for valuable updated information, links to more in-depth guidance, or to fill out an online intake.            

El Long Island Advocacy Center brinda servicios y recursos en español. Por favor visite nuestro sitio web para más información.


New York State School Reopenings

Nassau County school districts’ plans can be found here.  

Suffolk County school  districts’ plans can be found here.  

If you are having problems understanding your school’s plans for your child’s education or if your child has been unable to access their education, for any reason, please contact us so we can assist you!

Student Enrollment and Residency

NYS mandates that anyone over 5 and under 21 years old who has not received a high school diploma is entitled to attend the public schools maintained in the district in which they live.

What is needed in order to enroll?

  • Proof of custody
  • Proof of age
  • Proof of residency
  • Proof of immunization

Proof of custody:

The parent, guardian, or caregiver must show that the child or youth being enrolled is living with them and that the parent, guardian, or caregiver has total and permanent custody and control. If you are the biological or adoptive parent, it is presumed custody is with you.

Please visit our Student Enrollment Guide for information on the enrollment process for a student who is not your biological or adoptive child.

Proof of Age:

The documents which are most commonly used are:

  • the child’s certified birth certificate,
  • record of baptism giving the date of birth, or
  • their passport.  

(This includes foreign birth certificates, baptismal certificates, and passports.)  

If the above documents are not available, schools may consider other

documentations of age, such as:

  • an official driver’s license,
  • state or other government issued identification,
  • school photo ID with date of birth listed,
  • court orders, or
  • other court-issued documents.

Proof of Residency:

Residency is based upon where the student physically lives and intends to remain within the school district.  The following documents are acceptable and commonly used when providing residency for school enrollment:

  • Lease or deed;
  • An affidavit or letter from the person you pay rent to, stating you live there;
  • A letter from another person saying you live at your address;
  • Pay stubs, income tax form, and utility or other bills are all acceptable if your name and address are listed and reflect your living within the school district;
  • Membership documents which are based on residency are also acceptable, such as:
  • Local library card
  • Voter registration card
  • Driver’s license, permit, or non-driver ID
  • Any state or government-issued ID from agencies such as social services, Federal Office of Refugee Resettlement Custody, or guardianship papers

Please note: Districts must be flexible in its requests for verification. Districts may suggest the documents they’d like you to provide, however, it should be clear that if those documents are not available, alternative documentation which provides the same information will be acceptable to prove residency.

For more information on residency matters related to school enrollment, please read our Student Enrollment Guide here.

Proof of Immunizations:

  • A child’s official vaccination record which you request from your child’s doctor

If you or your child’s doctor do not have the official immunization record, you can request an official copy from the state’s registry.

For the NYS registry, please click here. 

For a list of all state registries, please click here.

In 2019, public health laws related to vaccinations/immunizations were amended to prohibit schools from permitting any child to be admitted to school, or to attend school, in excess of 14 days without sufficient evidence that the child has received all age appropriate required vaccinations.

If you’d like more information about the enrollment process, timelines, determinations, how to appeal, and for additional resources,

please click the link below to access our

Student Enrollment Guide

LIAC is available to assist with suspensions, disciplinary proceedings, and due process complaints.  If your child has been suspended, call our offices immediately!  Parents have rights regarding the suspension process including the right to legal representation if a hearing has been scheduled by the school.

Email us at

Submit an Online Intake

Nassau County: 516-248-2222 x 10

Suffolk County: 631-234-0467 X 10

LIAC Archived Newsletters and Resources:

May 5, 2020

June 10, 2020

June 25, 2020

July 15, 2020

OPWDD/Transition Video

July 29, 2020

August 13, 2020

August 31, 2020