Lewis & Clark College | Portland, Oregon | Expected Graduation May 2020 | GPA: 3.8
Bach. of Arts in Environmental Studies, International Affairs, Minor: Political Economy
Purpose Statement: Undergraduate student with experience in corporate responsibility and major voluntary sustainability standards looking to apply passion for social and environmental justice in globalized supply chains.
Corporate Responsibility Intern, Columbia Sportswear Company| Portland, OR May-August 2019
- Analyzed third-party corporate responsibility assessments (Center for Business and Human Rights Benchmark, Fashion Transparency Index, and KnowTheChain) to determine opportunities for growth of company CR program.
- Frequently engaged in cross-functional communication to gather information across teams.
- Presented findings to employees and upper-management across departments.
Summer Research Assistant, International Affairs Department| Lewis & Clark College May- June 2019
- Executed the study “The Political Economy of “Ethical” Cannabis: Supply and Demand after Three Years” to determine ethical product availability, knowledge, market trends, and barriers to social sustainability.
- Conducted over 80 dispensary visits collecting data; converted data to binary code for further analysis; completed QGIS spatial analysis of Portland block group census data to understand the demographic factors impacting availability of sustainable cannabis.
- Produced industry white paper.
Spring Research Assistant, Political Economy Department| Lewis & Clark College January- May 2019
- Carefully reads and revises commissioned research, book chapters and academic journal articles.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, reliability and efficiency, proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, and understanding of application of sustainability to business.
- Contribute to growing work available on the topics of ethical consumerism and social responsibility.
Dinah Dodds Endowment for International Education | Lewis & Clark College December 2018
- Designed independent grant project on three coffee plantations’ business models and associated social and environmental benefits in Arusha, Tanzania.
- Studied impacts of voluntary sustainability certifications WFTO, Organic, Utz/ Rainforest Alliance, and CAFE Practices on impoverished communities and identified barriers to greater impact.
- Successfully completed an Independent Study credit and presentation for the Lewis & Clark Festival of Scholars, an opportunity to present research to the greater Portland community.
Research Assistant, International Affairs, Political Economy Departments | Lewis & Clark College May-July 2018
- Executed research on the Global Living Wage Coalition and member Voluntary Sustainability Certifications, including the Forest Stewardship Council, Fairtrade International, Utz/Rainforest Alliance, SAI, and Goodweave.
- Examined the implementation obstacles facing the living wages concept with independent and collaborative research in over seven informational interviews with high-level officials of sustainability certification organizations.
- Submitted work for review in academic journals, inclusion of books chapters, and presentation at international sustainability conferences. See acknowledgement section.
Planning Committee, Environmental Studies Symposium | Lewis & Clark College Current
- Organized Engagement events for Environmental Studies Symposium themed Climate, Environment, & Uneven Development.
- Created and executed a field trip to EPA Superfund Sites along the Willamette River.
- Worked with various organizations including government and nonprofits to create curriculum and programming.
Sustainability Reporting Analyst Intern, Sustainability Department| Lewis & Clark College Current
- Compiled and reported on Lewis & Clarks Sustainability measures for the STARS (The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System) self-audit.
- Analyzed initiatives from the Sierra Club's top 20 greenest schools and determined Lewis & Clarks opportunities for growth.
- Created and distributed reader-friendly infographics to student and surrounding community.
Editorial Board Member, The Meridian Journal of International and Cross-Cultural Perspectives| Lewis & Clark College Current
- Anonymous peer review of student papers with content and structure recommendations.
- Displays prompt response, consistency of edits across time, and ability to assess paper quality.
- Produced the 2019/2020 Meridian Journal Edition for printing.
College Outdoors Peer Mentorship Program Coordinator| Lewis & Clark College Current
- Developed and executed peer mentorship program among more than 50 College Outdoors leaders and new students.
- Provided mentors with training and skill development programs.
- Provided new students with avenues to holistic support and campus community; responded to “as needed” events.
Political Science Department Assistant, Lewis & Clark College | Portland, OR Current
- Act as first point of contact for Political Science Department, demonstrating reliability, timeliness, and attention to detail.
- Assist in all secretarial duties such as composing departmental emails, managing webpage interfaces, utilizing Microsoft Office applications, printing & copying, organizing and advertising events, and assisting with professors research.
- Provide administrative support for 12 staff and faculty.
College Outdoors Program, Lewis & Clark College | Portland, OR Current
- Lead groups of 8 to 30 students in off-campus outdoor activities and environmental education.
- Shared responsibilities of trip planning, safety, instruction, and evaluation with leadership team.
- Demonstrates high levels of proficiency in risk management, communication, and inclusion.
Corporate Responsibility Intern, Columbia Sportswear Company| Portland, OR June-August 2019
- Conducted analysis on Supporting the Corporate Responsibility team on various projects including philanthropy, volunteer efforts, and corporate environmental and social standards.
- Supported planning & non-profit outreach for Backyard Collective, the company-wide volunteer day
- Supported in content creation and roll out of Benevity, the company's online giving program (forthcoming)
Global Justice Committee Member, Portland Jobs with Justice | Portland, OR January- June 2019
- Participate in monthly meetings to steer the focus of the Global Justice Committee.
- Rally engagement of the Portland community in international human rights violations through organization of local action.
Committee Co-chair, Environmental Affairs Symposium | Lewis & Clark College September- November 2017
- Co-chaired the annual Environmental Affairs Symposium, a yearlong series of five events exploring possibilities for engagement across boundaries.
- Promoted events with over 15 information sessions and use of internal media systems and social media platforms Instagram and Facebook.
- Oversaw logistics including informational flyers, transportation, special accommodations, and event-space planning.
Ecology Teaching Assistant, Lewis & Clark College | Portland, OR September-December 2017
- Assisted in the success of 15 lab student groups, 3 hours a week for one semester.
- Review and editing of student lab reports; taught and troubleshooted computer software ‘R’ skills.
Trail Maintenance Intern, Washington Trails Association | Seattle, WA June – August 2016, 2017
- Led high school students on WTA trail maintenance trips. Actively fostered inclusion, diversity, and equity through trail maintenance, repair, and construction projects and all aspects of camp life.
- Safely motivated and lead crew of up to ten volunteers of diverse backgrounds.
NOLS Wilderness First Responder
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative Certificate: Human Subject Research: Social & Behavioral Research Investigators; Math, Natural, and Social Sciences
Acknowledged in various publications