Gluten-Free Vegan Yellow Cake Recipe &
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
The recipe is adapted from: Allergylicious.com
It’s also Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan, and Soy-Free
Makes 2 - 8” cake rounds, 18 cupcakes, or 1 - 9 x 13 baking dish
2 ¾ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour for baking (I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure flour)
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon turmeric (for yellow color - OPTIONAL)
1 tablespoon psyllium powder (for helping hold the texture of the cupcakes when they rise, fiber is a bonus)
2 cups non-dairy milk (I used oat milk, but only because my store was out of my normal almond milk)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
⅔ cups extra virgin olive oil (or any oil that doesn’t have a lot of flavor)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter extract or flavoring
½ cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Allergen-Free Mini-Chocolate Chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If making cake in round cake pans, line pans with parchment paper rounds and/or non-stick cooking spray, or line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until ingredients are well incorporated and smooth, there should be no lumps.
- Allow batter to rest for 10 minutes to allow the psyllium to thicken the batter.
- Whisk the batter again, it should be thickened, IF you are making the chocolate chip cupcakes, then gently stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Add batter evenly to round cake pans, a 9x13 greased baking dish, or evenly into individual cupcake liners. If making cupcakes, fill nearly to the top.
- Baking times: for cupcakes = 18-20 minutes, for 8” round cake pans = 30-35 minutes, for a 9x13” baking dish = 30-35 minutes.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake or cupcake. It should come out mostly clean, with a crumb or two, you don’t want to see wet batter coating the toothpick.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pans, and then frosting & decorating.
- Turmeric. The turmeric for color is completely optional, leave it out or don’t use it if you don’t have it.
- Sugar. You can probably use other types of sugar in this recipe if you don’t want to use white sugar. But I haven’t tried it, so I don’t know how it would turn out. If you use a liquid sugar like honey or maple syrup, you may want to decrease the other liquids by ⅓ of a cup.
- Psyllium husk powder. This is relatively easy to find on Amazon or in your local health food store. If you don’t want to use this, then increase the all purpose flour to 3 cups instead of 2 ¾ cups and just leave it out altogether. However, I have not made it without the psyllium, so I can’t guarantee the cake will come out as well.
- Non-dairy milk. Honestly, I think you can use whatever milk you prefer. Coconut milk, almond milk, even dairy milk will work fine in this recipe if that is what you would prefer to use.
- Olive oil. If you do not have or do not like to use extra virgin olive oil, I would recommend using a light tasting vegetable or coconut oil. If you can use butter all the better. If you do use butter, you can leave out the butter flavoring.
All Rights Reserved. COPYRIGHT © 2007-2022 Gingerlemongirl.com
Do not republish without permission from Carrie Forbes - email@example.com