General Body Meeting

10/22/2017

9:00PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Admin Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  2. Penn Violence Prevention Office
  3. I Care Training
  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Business Services
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UA Steering
  2. PULSE Survey
  3. University Council
  1. UA Report
  1. Educational Moment of the Week
  2. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Penn Traditions Alumni Engagement Fund
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Attendance Update
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Course Evaluations  
  1. Project Updates
  1. Social Justice
  1. Leave of Absence Policy
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Statistics Major in the College
  2. SAS Sector Expansion
  3. Uncoordinated Dual Degree Adviser
  4. Nursing Clinical Fees
  5. Textbook Guide
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Diversity in Wharton Concentrations
  1. External Seats
  2. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Admin Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  1. This past Thursday, UA Cabinet met with Anna Papageorge, VP of FRES; Ed Katz, Executive Director of Real Estate; Mike Dausch, Executive Director of Design and Construction; Faramarz Vakilideh, Executive Director of Operations Maintenance; Marilyn Jost, Director of Finance and Administration; Elizabeth Hansen, Executive Director of Finance and Administration; and Jen Rizzi, Director of Communication.  We discussed options for outdoor outlets, the process of hand dryer towel stations, more water fountains in the Quad and Hill, air conditioning in all college houses, a potential student advisory board for retail spaces on campus, and a off campus housing guide.  
  1. Penn Violence Prevention Office
  1. This past Thursday, I met with Jess Mertz, the Director of Sexual Violence Prevention, to register UA as an AVEN (Anti-Violence Engagement Network) group.  The first step is filling out an anonymous survey to assess what our group knows and needs and following the survey, we will go through training that is tailored to our specific group climate.  
  1. I CARE Training
  1. I spoke with Alaina Spiegel, Coordinator of Prevention Programs, this past week to discuss I CARE training for the UA.  The next step is setting up a date so I will be sending out a poll on Slack to see what works for most people.
  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Business Services
  1. This upcoming Thursday, UA Cabinet will be meeting with Business Services.  Please let me know if you want anything to be added onto the agenda.  

Vice-President’s Report

  1. UA Steering
  1. UA Steering will take place this coming Tuesday from 7:30-8:30 PM in Huntsman F55. The tentative focus of the meeting will be discussing sexual violence on campus and what we can do as students to address the issue.  
  1. PULSE Survey
  1. If you haven’t filled out the PULSE Survey yet, please fill it out! Please forward the information that I emailed you to groups you might be involved in and encourage your friends to fill it out. The information obtained from this survey is invaluable to administration in gauging the climate of campus and what to focus their energy on.
  1. University Council
  1. This past Wednesday, I had UC Steering which set the agenda for the University Council meeting this Wednesday from 4-6PM in Bodek Lounge Houston Hall. The focus issue of this UC will be the State of the University, with a focus on a presentation by President Gutmann and Provost Pritchett. The undergraduate delegation will be meeting before UC to discuss issues we want to bring up.

UA Report

  1. Educational Moment of the Week -- University Council
  1. University Council is the highest deliberative body at the University of Pennsylvania, consisting of high-ranking university administrators, faculty, and leaders such as President Gutmann, Provost Pritchett, EVP Craig Carnaroli, and more.
  1. What is the purpose of University Council? How often does it meet?
  2. What are other organizations that post delegations to University Council?
  3. What is the UA’s responsibility in University Council?
  4. Who are the undergraduates that sit on UC and how are they appointed?

  1. Member of the Week
  1. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1. Penn Traditions Alumni Engagement Fund
  1. The past week I have been able to secure a seat on the Penn Traditions Alumni Engagement Fund for the UA where the UA Treasurer will serve as the representative supported by the Budget Committee. This funding source is funded by Penn Traditions and has a yearly grant of about $10,000 used to bring current students and Penn Alumni together.  

Secretary’s Report

  1. Attendance Update
  1. I have added a new attendance sheet to the pennua.org website. The updated sheet will reflect everyone’s current attendance standing. Here are the updated attendance protocols
  1. GBM Attendance
  1. Member since Spring 2017
  1. 12 meetings can miss 4.2 meetings
  1. New Student Representative
  1. 9 meetings can miss 3.15 meetings
  1. Anthony Williams
  1. 11 meetings can miss 3.85 meetings
  1. Kevin Myers
  1. 7 meetings can miss 2.45 meetings
  1. AMs
  1. Must attend one meeting
  1. Committee Attendance
  1. Member since Spring 2017
  1. 14 committee points can miss 3.5 points
  1. New Student Representative
  1. 11 committee points can miss 2.75 points
  1. Anthony Williams
  1. 14 committee points can miss 3.5 points
  1. Kevin Myers
  1. 14 committee points can miss 3.5 points
  1. AMs
  1. 8 committee meetings can miss 2 meetings


Discussion Papers


Academic Initiatives

Course Evaluations

Authored by: Julianne Goodman

 

Background

Before viewing course grades, students are asked to review the class and professor through quantitative questions and one optional open ended question. The open ended question asks for general feedback. Before opening the course evaluation, students are given the option to opt out of the survey to view their grades directly. Most students will either opt out completely or fill out the review without leaving a comment. The Professor feedback is usually disproportionally negative and emotionally driven. Many professors will then discount the validity of the feedback. Furthermore, the course descriptions found in PennCourseReview are based on this qualitative feedback, creating negatively skewed feedback. The University is considering using Amazon’s Automatic Text Summarization to generate the descriptions.  

 

Where

This affects all University courses, Professors, and students.

 

How

Early discussions with Rob Nelson, Executive Director for Education and Academic Planning, have established a few possible solutions. The addition of the following open ended questions: “What would you tell students interested in taking this course?” would allow for more accurate and helpful descriptions for PennCourseReview. Students would have more information be able to make better informed decisions when selecting classes. By making one (or both) of the open ended questions mandatory, more student voices would be heard, creating a more representative perspective on the course. However, there exists concerns about increased opt out rates. Many other Universities have mandatory feedback sections or will not incorporate the quantitative data from responses without comments. Next steps are to select an approach and pilot it specific courses and departments.

 

Discussion Questions

1. What are your thoughts on the proposed additional question?

2. When making the question(s) mandatory, would the more representative data be more valuable than the tradeoff of higher opt out rates?

3. Is there a better solution to remove the emotionally driven bias, specifically in regards to timing?

 


Project Updates


Social Justice

Leave of Absence Policy

Authored by: Jordan Andrews

This past Thursday, I met with Kathryn DeWitt from Penn Wellness and several other students who have taken leaves of absences to discuss possible action items. Kathryn presented the idea of a Returning Students Advisory Board, which would work closely with VPUL to 1) Provide recommendations to administration regarding new policy for returning students, 2) Plan Returning Student Orientation and help educate returning students about resources, 3) Manage opt-in returning student communication (e.g. listserv, groupme), 4) Create and oversee a mentorship program (pairing returning students to students who has previously returned).

Academic Initiatives

Statistics Major in the College

Authored by: Noah Kest

While looking at the offered majors in the College, I noticed that the College lacks a major present at many other universities: statistics. Currently, the statistics department is in Wharton, and Wharton students have the option to concentrate. College students have the option to minor through Wharton, but since statistics is such a growing field, college students should have the option to study it in proper depth. Additionally, quantitative majors in the college that are unrelated to hard sciences are limited to Economics, Logic, Math, and Mathematical Economics, so it would be good to expand these options. Earlier this week I met with Dr. Molly McGlone to understand the College’s perspective on Statistics and the process for creating a new major. She explained that College students have the option to study statistics extensively, although not in an official major. Examples she gave for this were economics classes using statistics, a math major focusing on statistics, and a sociology major focusing on statistics. She also laid out the process for creating a new major, which is primarily faculty-driven. The next steps are to determine the faculty and student interest in this project.

SAS Sector Expansion
Authored by: Ariela Stein

After experiencing the constraining sector system and speaking with students in the College, I decided there is a great need for sectors to encompass more classes than the fixed quotas. I also spoke to the Chair of the History Department, Beth Wenger, and she expressed interest in seeing a liberalization of sector requirements, as they harm enrollment rates. The goal of this project is expand the number of courses that count for each sector. For example, all Physics class should count as Physical World. This expansion will also incentivize students to take more classes of interest, instead of the ‘easier’ ones that fulfill sectors. I am meeting with Assistant Dean Peterson on Tuesday to discuss this further.

Uncoordinated Dual Degree Adviser

Authored by: Simon Chen and Julianne Goodman

Since uncoordinated dual degree applicants don't have an obvious contact to go to, they may feel uncertain and dissuaded from pursuing the opportunity. I spoke with Dr. Peter Stokes, the adviser for the Vagelos Program in Life Sciences and Management (LSM); specifically, to hear from his perspective on the role of advisers for uncoordinated dual degrees. Dr. Stokes proposed a program where underclassmen could take registered upperclassmen currently pursuing uncoordinated dual degrees to lunch or coffee; he also mentioned that it is unlikely for students to be able to transfer into an uncoordinated dual degree after just the fall semester of freshman year. At the least, in order to be considered for a mid-year transfer into Wharton, one must take six related courses, which could be a hindrance. I hope to contact other Vagelos dual degree advisers and find an administrator willing to be a dedicated adviser or contact person.

Nursing Clinical Fees

Authored by: George Yang

     After talking to Haley Morin, Treasurer of SCUE, who worked on this project with Ian, the previous nursing representative, I learned that there is still work to be done in eliminating the extra costs. The $300 fee is meant to pay for the costs associated with redoing the clinical/lab. Last year, Haley and Ian tried to see if the total costs could be split up based on the number of students attending the make-up session. Their suggestion was to have an alternative to $300 to maintain professionalism. For example, maybe have a $100 fee and make students complete an extra nursing assignment so that they learn more (like how if you fail a nursing lab practical, you must redo it, ensuring you don’t forget that skill in the future). The current policy burdens low income students: one student I talked to had to work extra hours to earn the $300, so she was working 20 hours in addition to all her clinicals, making her bedtimes go even later.

     Other aspects that need to be investigated are the standardization of the enforcement mechanism and handling students that can’t come in because they are sick. For the latter, clinical instructors require a note from the doctor saying that the student is sick. This becomes a problem when A) it is not necessarily convenient nor safe for a sick student to walk the long distance to SHS to receive a note. B) the student may end up showing up to the clinical site sick, making it worse for the patients there.

     Julianne and I met with Rob Nelson on Friday, 10/20. He said that the “doctors note” has been abolished except in the hospital, where it’s a requirement for the employees to have a doctor's note in order to miss work. Since students are like employees, they are required to as well. I have emailed Julie Sochalski, vice dean of nursing, to set up a meeting time with Haley and me.

Textbook Guide

Authored by: George Yang

Seeing that many students are often confused about how to approach buying textbooks, I have been creating a diagram to illustrate to classmates, especially the freshmen, different alternatives to buying textbooks. Some of the alternatives highlighted in the diagram are requesting PDFs, borrowing from other libraries through E-Z Borrow, and obtaining the textbooks for cheaper through upperclassmen. I have sent the diagram to Jordan Andrews and Michael Krone to beautify. The intent of the project is to prevent students from spending money on textbooks they might not need to be spending and informing them of all their options before they make their choice to buy textbooks.


Completion Reports


Academic Initiatives

Diversity in Wharton Concentrations

Authored by: Nile Nwogu

By the numbers, the majority of students in the Wharton School choose to pursue the oldest and most established concentrations in academic departments. This is great because it helps build onto the reputation of departments and helps students relate to alumni that studied the same courses. However, recently, there have been many new concentrations established to bridge gaps between departments (e.g. Business Analytics from STAT and OIDD). Students see these newer concentrations as riskier because they do not know older students (mentors) that are in these courses nor alumni that concentrated in these areas. To resolve this, I proposed a Wharton concentration fair where students could see all available concentrations and have departments pitch them to underclassmen on a level playing field.

However, Wharton Academic Advising said that they used to have these concentration fairs in Forum but they were poorly attended and not worth the cost. Now that Wharton has reformed the Core they have added a new course to introduce freshmen to everything the school has to offer -- Wharton 101. In this course, students are introduced to all of the departments and their offerings throughout the semester. We will not be able to evaluate the effectiveness of this new initiative until these students become sophomores/juniors. Unfortunately, there is a gap of students who did not have these concentration fairs and have not taken Wharton 101, nevertheless, after speaking with advisors in Advising, we decided that this would not be a project worth pursuing. This project is relevant because the breakdown of what students study affects how resources are allocated and the culture of the school overall. If you hear any short-term feedback about Wharton 101 or any other ideas about diversity in academics, please let me know! The 46th/47th session of the UA should evaluate the impact that the new Wharton -01 Series (in lieu of Management 100) has on the breakdown of declared concentrations.


External Seats



Minutes


  1. Open Forum
  1. UC Facilities
  1. Kyle: Tomorrow we will have a UC facilities meeting on the topic of gender neutral bathrooms
  2. Sean: There are about 80% of nonresidential buildings that do not have gender neutral bathrooms. It is very difficult for students on this end to follow this rule. If you can put that out, that would be helpful. In every new building plan, gender neutral bathrooms will be installed. It would be helpful to see that in writing
  1. Title 9
  1. Jordan: For anyone who didn’t hear, Devos came out with a statement mnt to scale back the title 9 across the guidelines. It has a relation to sexual violence policy. Potentially Penn’s policies can be affected by that. Jess Mertz has talked about how their has been no formal response by the administration regarding scaling back sexual assault policies. Is this something we should bring up to the administration.
  2. Will; The scale back of the title 9 is in the preliminary stages.
  3. Jordan: Nothing has been changed as of yet in law.
  4. Sean: The department of education has changed guidelines on the law.
  1. Huntsman Hall Facilities
  1. Elena: I have been doing some work in improving huntsman hall facilities. I will be touching base with them this coming week. They are very open to many ideas. I want to hear feedback regarding huntsman hall to learn more about the facilities.
  2. Simon: Something I have noticed in college members is why cannot other students sign up for GSRs
  3. Elena: Wharton students pay for GSR usage through line item
  4. Sam: We have so many MBAs who use it, so they want to give them space.
  5. Julianne: Heard rumor that some of the donors just recluded it to graduates
  6. George: When you try to book a GSR in huntsman, they are all booked, but many are open in person. It would be nice if you could cancel that booking.
  7. Elena: I can definitely bring up having a staff member checking to make sure people who requested them can have them.
  8. George: Im not sure.
  9. Elena: I mean just for the people that requested them.
  10. Santosh: On that point that is one way it can be done. I know huntsman GSRs have a panel, maybe they can check in on that panel. Also, I have not been in Huntsman recently, but I noticed that the quiet study rooms do not have functioning outlets and lights. They do not always work. There are outlets for laptops.
  11. Arjun: Pretty straightforward that at night the lighting gets bad in halls.
  12. Jason: Many friends in other schools cannot rent rooms and and this would be an issue to bring up.
  13. Simon: I know that looking into the GSR, you cannot log in unless you are in wharton. Potentially we should allow all schools to log in
  14. Kanishka: Just to talk to the point, that was my project last year, getting stuff repaired in huntsman. You can always email wharton to fix it. I made a form last year
  1. Act of Kindness
  1. Sola: Class Board 18 is collaborating with other class boards and we are having random act of kindness event this friday. I will come to each committee and hand out note cards to you to write notes.
  2. Jay: Is there an estimated goal of how many will be given out
  3. Sola: We have a hundred, but maybe a thousand would be good
  4. Kanishka: These are very simple and just to brighten everyone’s day.
  5. Will: How are these being distributed?
  6. Kanishka: There is a bowl across campus
  7. Sam: Are you reaching out to other branches of student government to write responses.
  8. Noah: At Penn Wellness everyone wrote cards.
  9. Julianne: I recognize just having someone pass it out as well.
  1. CAPS Outreach Event
  1. Michelle: CAPS Outreach Event is happening Thursday 1-4 PM. I will send out sign up sheet to UA. There will be table for student government, CAPS and events. We need to change our cover photos and come to the event. We want to promote peer to peer resources.
  2. Maria: It will be fun.
  3. Arjun: I have not gotten an invite to that event.
  4. Michelle: We are planning event quickly because of weather
  1. Dining Dollars
  1. Maher: In Columbia you can give dining dollars to charity organization. I wanted to share that with DSF.
  2. Kyle: In general it is tough to stuff like that. Changing the structure is very tough.
  1. Penn Global
  1. Maria: Noah and Nile I know you are meeting with Penn Global.
  2. Nile: Meeting will be this week.
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Admin Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  1. Michelle: The first one we had was FRES, and the first thing we discussed was outlets for outdoor locations. We talked about hand dryers and towel stations. We also asked for more water fountains in quad and Hill. They have a plan for 5 to 10 years and plan to renovate college houses without ac. I wanted to bring up that student input was there when stores were being placed. We talked about ti and there might be a student advisory board. We will potentially add GAPSA and UA members.
  2. Nile: Did you talk about specific restaurants in the meeting?
  3. Michelle: With EVP we talked about Roti and Panera. But this advisory board will be the place.
  4. Jason: Elaborate on AC
  5. Michelle: It is on their radar and what I can tell they are adding AC.
  6. Kyle: FRES does not have actual budget, but business services tells FRES what to do.
  7. Michelle: The hand dryer towel stations is controlled through each college’s budget.
  8. Sean: What about non-college buildings.
  9. Michelle: I can follow up.
  1. Penn Violence Prevention Office
  1. Michelle: I met with Jess Mertz and registered UA as an AVEN group. The first step to do this is to fill up an anonymous survey. She uses they survey to cater the training. After survey she decides if we need PAVE training. Please fill this out. They like doing this in one group because each group is like a community.
  2. Arjun: What is PAVE training?
  3. Michelle: She will decide what training to offer us.
  1. I Care Training
  1. Michelle: I spoke with Alaina Speigel, we will go through 3 hour training. They prefer doing it on weekend and I will send out poll on slack.
  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Business Services
  1. Michelle: We are meeting with business services this Thursday. We have water fountains on it.
  2. Maher: Can you talk about filter issues?
  3. Michelle: From what I heard from FRES meeting a lot of repairs can just be reported to facilities. For problems like that just report it
  4. Michael: For any problem on campus just report it to FRES and they will get fixed.
  5. Elena: I would really appreciate you bringing up is that last year Lawrence and I worked on Penn Card fees and determine if they figured it out.
  6. Jay: What is business services?
  7. Michelle: Business services does everything on campus express that you see
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UA Steering
  1. Jay: Just to reiterate UA steering is like UA body but with student groups. We will have UA Steering this Tuesday at 7:30 and discuss sexual violence on campus. We will most likely split into student groups. UA members are special observers.
  1. PULSE Survey
  1. Jay: If you haven't filled it out please fill it out. It gives administration a good perspective. Forward it to listservs, and I will send it in my report.
  2. Will: When will they stop accepting surveys?
  3. Jay: November 18th
  4. Sean: I thought it was November 5. But for people doing survey, there are a number questions regarding sexual violence and make sure that people are comfortable when completing questions.
  1. University Council
  1. Jay: We will go over what UC is in Michael’s report. It will be this Wednesday from 4-6 in Bodek Hall. The discussion will be on state of university and Provost Pritchett and President Gutmann will give a presentation. The undergraduate delegation will meet Tuesday tomorrow night. If you have topics please let me know. In the past, DACA resources, and fossil fuels have been brought up.
  2. Elena: If we can’t make it is there live stream or minutes.
  3. Jay: I will get back to you on that.
  4. Jason: Would UA members be able to speak?
  5. Jay: Depending on which part it is you can speak. If not, the groups who have seats can always yield to you
  6. Sean: Minutes for UC meetings are published for the next meeting and are always one meeting behind.
  1. UA Report
  1. Educational Moment of the Week
  1. Micheal: University Council is the highest deliberative body at the University of Pennsylvania, consisting of high-ranking university administrators, faculty, and leaders such as President Gutmann, Provost Pritchett, EVP Craig Carnaroli, and more. What is purpose of UC?
  2. Arjun: Discuss pressing issues with regard to entire student body. Discuss resolutions and meets once a month
  3. Jay: In past UC has been forum to discuss and enact policy. It is a forum for student to bring up their concern.
  4. Michael: What other delegations have people at UC
  5. Maher: GAPSA
  6. Sean: Weekly paid professional staff assembly
  7. Michael: UA and graduates and administrators. There are 72 members.
  8. Michael: What is UA responsibility in UC?
  9. Natasha: Bring up concerns of undergraduate students
  10. Michael: Who are the UC? They are people that are represented by umbrella groups and including the minority groups. NEC takes into account schools of UC reps.
  1. Member of the Week is Santosh
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Penn Traditions Alumni Engagement Fund
  1. Sam: Recently I applied for the UA to have a seat in PTAF and they meet three times a semester. They have 10000 grant that brings student groups together. This is the only funding  board that funds alcohol for events.
  2. Jason: Can you explain more on the role of this organization
  3. Sam: The man goal is to bring alumni together to network and reconnect. This will allow them to talk about life.
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Attendance Update
  1. There is a new attendance sheet so please take a look at that. If you are not on any of the slots here please let me know. Please don’t miss any meetings.
  2. Michael-if you have any questions, please ask us
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Course Evaluations  
  1. Julianne: We were looking for a better way to address professors. I have talked with Rob Nelson and he said that they would change the question to what feedback would you give to other students. Often times you have stressed students that make negative responses. Is there a better way to handle timing. We would begin piloting this in wharton
  2. Arjun: I think some courses make their own survey that contribute to the grade.
  3. Julianne: The center for research and learning is trying to make a guide for teachers.
  4. Elena: I think if you were to make question mandatory some students would just put non-applicable
  5. Jay: My chemistry professor did a mid semester review.
  6. Kyle: I think the direction should go toward mid-semester feedback. By the end of the semester I am not interested in giving feedback. With recent problems, I reached out to my department head
  7. Julianne: University is considering using Amazon automatic paragraphs.
  8. Natasha: I think it would be good to have that amazon thing right next to that questions.
  9. Max: I think in general as a freshmen  I did not know that the data used in those feedback forms went to the professors.
  10. Sravya: I think that the number one thing is that the open response should be mandatory.
  11. Jordan: I met many people that did not know Penn Course Review was out of four rather than five
  12. Julianne: There have been talks about improving Penn Course review to highlight professor snad make review more positive aspects.
  1. Project Updates
  1. Social Justice
  1. Leave of Absence Policy
  1. Jordan: On thursday I met with Kathryn deWitt. One idea that she has had for awhile was of a returning student's advisory board. When students want to make changes they do not have a formal way of doing so. A advisory board would have individual perspectives and meet with both each other and administrators. The second point is very important. We would like to plan a returning student orientation. Kathryn is trying to get feedback on it. If that happens, we will meet with Rob and Karu to organize. The pilot program was held at Weingarten and we would like to hold it in the Spring for the returning students.
  2. Jay: Were there any barrier that were discussed that could hinder creation of the board?
  3. Jordan: When students go on leave of absence, there is very little communication. We are hoping to start up advisory board with many committed students. This puts the onus on Cis and other groups to encourage people to join board. I had a friend who was on leave but didn’t really know about it.
  4. Michael; I know they did orientation right after labor day. When would they do it?
  5. Jordan: It would probably be after NSO again. They had it on a friday afternoon. People who were on leave have experienced NSO and it was not priority to have them experience NSO again. IN spring they want to do it in first and second week of january
  6. Kyle: Be careful when creating advisory boards to ensure effectiveness.
  7. Jordan: I think this one has a huge internally facing feature. If everyone know there was a returning student advisory board, students can opt into listservs. Having advisory board can create central location. The admin part would be secondary to the purpose.
  8. Jay: I think many advisory boards are not effective because there is not heavy involvement from administrative end. I do think the advisory board would be a good idea.
  9. Sam: I think you should reach out to NSO and Adm Shur, in charge of student registration, that could help you figure out what students are actually returning. How was RSO funded?
  10. Jordan: I do not know, but there was not much food. It was just one day in Weingarten and Penn Wellness paid for some.
  11. George: I am curious of what type of resources they would provide. If you are a junior and take leave, you know many of the resources.?
  12. Jordan: Based on last year, it was mainly academic resources and there would be more open conversations and mental health. They would talk about classes and it could be beneficial to have more career services at this event.
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Statistics Major in the College
  1. Noah: This project started when talking to other students and peer institutions. I was looking and there's no statistics major. I met with Dr. Molly Mcglone about why they do not have a statistics major. She said that it is in jurisdiction of wharton. And she also said that college students have potential through other majors such as math and sociology. She felt that they fulfill other things in regards to statistics. At the same time I feel it can still fulfill things. I’m not sure if I should drop this project or pursue it in the future
  2. Elena: Have you considered surveying people that are minoring in statistics.
  3. Noah: That was discussed and I will consider it and potentially go forward with it.
  4. Santosh: I think ti is a great project idea because statistics can be used broadly. I always wondered why it was not in college. Second thing is if we did have a stat major, some are split between different school. Would it be a major between college and Wharton.
  5. Noah: I asked her if there were any majors that required majors from two schools. When I was looking at classes that make up this major, most would be through multiple schools. If we are building major form courses that are offered we must reach from multiple schools.
  6. George: I was reading old GBM and the reason why nutrition is easy to make a major is because there was a professor that was leading that charge
  7. Noah: We would have to figure out if the professor is in the college or wharton.
  8. Sean: Statistics course in the math department are in the college. You could convince someone to make a statistic concentration in math department.
  9. Noah: Yea I can look into that
  10. Santosh: If you do decide to go ahead with the major, having a research component would be very cool to have.
  11. Elena: I know that you mentioned survey and data analytics, I would  recommend you looking into the PORES center. Also Dan Hopkins who teaches data science. I think these would be two good roles.
  12. Sam: There is STAT 111 and it is through Wharton.
  13. Arjun: I took STAT 111 which was supposed to be for colleges but was given a wharton account
  1. SAS Sector Expansion
  1. Ariela: When I was deciding which project I wanted to do, I chose something that many students were thinking about. Each sector is given a quota. It opens the door for students to take easy A courses. I spoke to chair of history department. She said that the less sectors they can offer, the less enrollment they can have. She would like to see more liberalism. The DP has brought up this issue many times. I have a meeting with Assistant Dean peterson.
  2. Arjun: Could possibly include foundation approaches in this project. If you could bring that up as well that would be good.
  3. Samara: What is the pushback and why?
  4. Ariela: Specified by department. In history they wanted to introduce students to long history. And this does not count
  1. Uncoordinated Dual Degree Adviser
  1. Simon: it is for uncoordinated dual degrees. I recently spoke with the director and some of his ideas were for registered upperclassmen to talk with their undergraduate counterparts to discuss courses and future possibilities. I also asked why there is not an option for mid year transfers. It is only like a freshmen and Sophomore option. For Wharton, there is an ability but only if you took the prerequisites. In the future I would like to talk to other dual degree advisors
  2. Jason: I love the project idea. In the beginning of the year we had an uncoordinated dual degree meeting and we wanted an advisor. The administrator said it was a such  cases by case process. Dr. Yangali does some advising for the people.
  3. Julianne: This is a part of a bigger project with SCUE and next week we will have a discussion paper.
  1. Nursing Clinical Fees
  1. George: I am new and I am aware that this is an old project. I talked to treasurer of SCUE and she is in nursing. There is still a lot of work to do in eliminating nursing clinical fees. If you miss clinical you are charged a $300 fee. Last year they tried to split the cost based on current students who miss the session. Currently each student pays for full session. I talked to current nursing student and she said that most people thought that the fee was for formality. In nursing school if you fail practical you retake the same practical. Standardization of enforcement should be addressed. Some instructors can charge fees based on different policies. Another issue is that nursing students must get doctors notes if they are late or do not attend clinical. This is an issue because you must walk to SHS for an excused absence. Julianne and I met up with Rob Nelson and emailed vice dean of Nursing Dr Sherchowski and are trying to set up meeting. Rob Nelson said that doctor note has been abolished in penn but not in hospitals because those students are considered employees.
  2. Jason: Can you explain how frequently you have clinicals?
  3. George: It is either every week or biweekly
  4. Jess: Next semester it is a 12 hour clinical during the week.
  5. George: I am not entirely sure with the policy
  6. Natasha: Can students petition or ask for exemption due to financial circumstances.
  7. Arjun: if you are sick and you cannot go what happens?
  8. George: You would be fined for the $300
  9. Michelle: Push for what is $300 going toward and where is the money going to. You said there is a clinical every week and you must repeat it?
  10. George: No, there is a practical at the end of the semester and if you fail that you must redo it in the future.
  11. Michelle: Ask them where the money is going to?
  12. Samara: I am pretty sure they happen at least once a week. Does this policy apply even if you are on financial aid? Are there excused absences?
  13. George: I think so and I don’t know
  14. Jess: I Know in nursing lab, if you are sick you still have to make up lab but not pay the fee
  15. Jason: I wanted to push back on maintaining fee. It is difficult for low income individuals for asking for subsidization
  16. Jay: I have heard that you must pay through cash or check is that true?
  17. George: I do not know
  18. Ntasha: It would be automatically through their financial aid.
  19. Samara: That was Ian’s project and it might be on the minutes.
  20. George: I searched and could not find it.
  1. Textbook Guide
  1. George: Many freshmen buy expensive textbooks. In the library there are so many ways to get free textbooks through library. In easy borrow you can get textbook within five days. You can borrow for entire semester. I made a diagram and we will hopefully help distribute it to the student body. Freshmen receive advertising from barnes and nobles early on
  2. Elena: Have you included three and four sail
  3. Michael: I worked last year with Nile. Be aware that you run it by the Director of Communication of library before you publicize it.
  4. Nile: With easy borrow is there a capacity or limit?
  5. George: I know there is a limit.
  6. Julianne: This is an awesome project and how do advertise properly
  7. Sravya: Student workers said not to advertise about it.
  8. George: I have not talked about textbooks but they want more resources to be used.
  9. Jude: I heard of these but wouldn’t demand of these textbooks go up.
  10. Samara: I feel like most people get information from current Penn students. Many people get information from peer advising system. I think that would be a helpful thing.
  11. Michael: It is not explicitly stated in Peer advising office
  12. Sahitya: With distributing should we first give resources to FGLI students.I did not include FGLI library on the diagram, because I did not want non-FGLI students using textbooks.
  13. Kevin: We are not creating resources but making them more available or more obvious that they exist. To respond to Jude, I think the library would love to have the problem of overuse.
  14. Natasha: I think they would just buy more books.
  15. Maria: I don’t think the demand would be too high.
  16. Will: We can drop on facebook page for Class of 2022. Would professor’s be upset that their textbooks were not being used?
  17. Jay: There is should not be any things that harm professors.
  18. Julianne: We talked to Rob Nelson and he is looking into that partnership.
  19. Kanishka: Just to push back that it is not an issue requesting books, it is an issue, because they will run out of books. Definitely could run into an issues with different schools.
  20. Simon: In sociology I had to buy my textbook and many other students did not buy their books.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Diversity in Wharton Concentrations
  1. Nile: For my project I was looking at diversity of concentrations in wharton. Many students focus on finance and management. Wharton has 30 concentrations and we want students to pursue them. I proposed to Wharton Advising to have concentration fair. They said they used to concentration fairs, and they were not well attended and stopped it. They talked about other ways to solve this problem.
  2. Max: Essentially management 100 was the course you had to take. Now there is a new program split up into four departments.
  3. Nile: The biggest thing with concentrations is making sure people are aware of the issues with the new program.
  4. Samara: Which departments do not have a lecture devoted to them?
  5. Max: Wharton 101 ends on November 18 so there is limited time.
  6. Sahitya: Many students in my class do not listen to the courses
  7. Will: From what I heard, Wharton 101 may not be best way to adapt.
  8. Max: The point was to spread it out over multiple years
  9. Santosh: What was purview of management 100
  10. Nile: it was mainly an introduction to Wharton and leadership. This is like a whole new thing to redo the core and structure.
  11. Sean: This class is only opened in the Fall so no freshmen take it in the Spring. Management 100 was open to college students. In what ways will Wharton advertise departments to students not in Wharton. There are 20 departments, so in what way are these departments advertised to on-Wharton students.
  12. Nile: I do not think they are doing that. Each year they have new minors and certificates. I don’t think they would do that for the college.
  13. Maria: I know there is a class and group that is trying to make it better.
  14. Santosh: The stuff in management 100 is that now seen as Wharton 101 and 102.
  15. Jason: To be honest they are trying to make it more of a time based project. It isn’t comparable to management 100
  16. George: How would this affect the uncoordinated dual degrees?
  17. Julianne: Their courses are from the colleges.
  18. Max: Reach out to current wharton 101 TAs and this would be helpful
  1. External Seats
  2. Communications