BIM Crowdsourced Basic Income Installations Details
“Basic Income Trees”
- People fill out and hang tags on trees describing what they would do with a UBI. At the bottom of the tree is an informational about UBI and the goals of the installation. The UBI tree grows over time. The tree can be in front of a person’s home, on the sidewalk, or on a public street.
“Basic Income Experience Walls”
- Create an interesting interactive experience on a wall - it could be a single question and tools for people to add their own words to it, or a quadrant of themes around UBI and people create a story or idea to add to that theme so you can see it grow over time.
Why to choose this type of event:
- You like the idea of having a slow-growing installation in your community that illustrates the support and interest people have for UBI.
- If you want to have a lite, educational installation where people in your community can interact with the idea of UBI - potentially turn some new people on to the concept while they are on a walk or out shopping.
- This could be something you do even if you are also doing a parade or protest in your community.
Size of event:
- Installations can be a slow growing event over time, minimum of a week, ideally longer, something that will be left after the BIM weekend for the community to add to and interact with over months. Because of this, the size of the initial participating group can be as few as 1-2 people.
- If these are an addition to parades you are holding in your city: you could have the Basic Income Trees or Basic Income Interactive Wall on the route of the parade, where people can stop and add their contribution as part of the day of protest.
Logistics / What you need:
- Installation Signs: Information that helps people understand: What is this? How can you Participate? Also provides #hashtag to share their experience on social media, encourage people to post on SM with pics of them participating.
- Twine, yarn, tags, slips of paper or other tools for people to write about what they would use a basic income for to add to the installation.
- If there are multiple Trees or Walls in your community, create a map of these for easy sharing so people can find all of them and add their info to them.
Promotions: If you are planning other actions as well as the mural, you can gather at the sight of one of your art installations. If you have many planned, you could provide a map view so your parade or community could do a tour of them.
If you are planning on doing an Art Installation please keep Income Movement informed - we would like to highlight and promote your achievements and try to find ways to support at least some of the costs.
* If you are low on trees in an industrial area or something, you could get creative with materials and make a UBI sign like this ART sign made with old cloths and/or cloth, pvc pipe, and some pillow stuffing. Fix it to a fence, and have people post their notes hanging on the fence.