Tairangi School Procedure Statement
ROAD PATROLS NAG 5 Health & Safety
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- Two paired “patrol students” will control people using the Warspite Avenue pedestrian crossing from 8:25am until 8:45am and from 2:45pm until 3:00pm on every occasion that the school is open for instruction.
- Two paired “patrol students” will control people suing the Omapere Street pedestrian crossing from 8:25am until 8:45am and from 2:45pm until 3:00pm on every occasion that the school is open for instruction.
- Patrol students will be selected from the Year 7-8 classes.
- Patrols will wear the officially designated bibs or raincoats as the climate determines.
- Both sets of patrols will be controlled by an adult staff member who will base himself/herself at the Omapere/Warspite intersection.
- Supervising adults will recall all instances of motorists not obeying the road signs or instances of pedestrians not obeying the instruction of the patrol students. Any infringements will be passed on to the Deputy Principal who will take appropriate action.
- The Deputy Principal will organise the student roster and will follow-up instances of students not reporting for duty.
- The patrol roster will be displayed prominently around the Administration Area and all patrol students will have personal copies of the roster.
- The Police Education Officer is responsible for training patrol students. It is the Deputy Principal’s responsibility to arrange periodic training and retraining sessions.
- In extreme adverse weather patrol students will dispense with the road crossing poles and use red flags instead.
- During the colder months of the year, students on morning patrol duty will receive a cup of Milo and a cookie upon completion of their duty, before they go to class.
- The school will recognise the efforts of the patrol team by:
- Periodically rewarding them with a free swim or movie.
- Certificates of Achievement at school assemblies.
- End of year combined schools patrol movie at MovieLand Porirua (only consistently good student patrol members will be allowed to participate).
This procedure statement is subject to modification when the occasion warrants.
File:roadpatrols5.doc Procedure Statement – Road Patrols