Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings
10.30.18 at 6:20 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 11.26.18
BOD Approved Amended Minutes on 01.28.19
Amendment: See Section VI.a.ii
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Holley Christensen, Member; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer
Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: Emily Wisner, Erin Tanner, Sara Parks, Lisa Allee
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Stacey moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Reports / Business:
- President - Kelli
- Annual Compliance Assurances
- Safety and Discipline - Stacey
- Stacey emailed all pertaining information to the BOD email. All fire inspections have been completed to date, but we do not have a certificate of occupancy due to ongoing construction, however, we do have a letter from Cortez Building Department saying that they have allowed us to move in and are in complete compliance.
- Finance - Urula / Finance Committee
- We are compliant with everything except for financial transparency. Once we receive the audit, we will upload it to the website and be in compliance. Previous years information is on the website.
- Kelli: sign and submit Annual Compliance Assurances to Re1.
- Hiring and Evaluation Committee
- HOS Job Description to the Board
- Stacey emailed the BOD the final draft of employment application and IHOS job description. The application will include a phone screening after written application with more questions for efficiency.
Stacey moved to approve the IHOS job description and application. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- New Business
- The Harry Potter Family Night fundraiser was a huge success! The PTO presented the Board with a check for $2200 in funds raised. Estimates were around 300 people and they sold out of almost everything. Lots of community support from non-Kiva families and previous Kiva families.
- The PTO requests that $400 of the funds be used to update the school’s website.
- Amendment to the 10.30.18 Board Minutes: As documented on the submitted Fundraising Request Form, The Harry Potter Family Night was not a PTO fundraiser, but rather a separate group of volunteers that organized and ran this event for CKMS. The raised funds are for “anything the school needs - a 3 to 1 split with CH.”
- Tamia: add ‘Requested funds for website’ to Future Agenda Items.
- Kelli: reach out to Emily Wisner regarding website design.
- Stacey: reach out to Randy and/or Morgan regarding website design.
- Alexia: update website.
- Next Meeting
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 6:30 pm at Children’s House
- Executive Session
- C.R.S 24-6-402 (4)(f) for personnel matters regarding performance review of employee
- *Recorded on Stacey’s phone
- At 7:00 pm Stacey moved to enter into Executive Session pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(f) to discuss personnel matters regarding performance review of employee. Kelli stipulated that all E/M S BOD members, Urulu Yazzie, FD, and Alexia Hudson-McGrath, temporary IHOS, be in attendance with no other persons invited to attend. Motioned seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Melissa moved to exit out of Executive Session at 7:51 pm. No discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Note: no action was taken during the Executive Session.
- Adjournment: Stacey moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm.
Notes taken by Holley Christensen
Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary