For the soup:
3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup carrot, julienned
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
8 cup low sodium chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp Clabber Girl Corn Starch (optional)
For the dumplings:
1 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for dusting when rolling out
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 tsp Clabber Girl Baking Powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1. Using a large stock pot, add the chicken, onions, carrots, celery and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Also add the bayleaves.
2. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
4. Meanwhile, during the simmering of the broth, prepare the dumplings.
5. To make the dumplings, add the flour, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, salt, and shortening in a medium mixing bowl. Using a fork, press down on the shortening until it is blended into the mixture.
6. Add the milk a little at a time. Continue to stir in the milk into the flour mixture until it well combined. You may not use all the milk, so that is ok, just so the dumpling dough is soft but not sticky.
7. On a floured surface, knead the dough a few times until smooth.
8. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to roughly 1/8th inch thick. Cut into 1 inch strips, then approximately 1 to 2 inch lengths.
9. Add the dumplings to the simmering broth. Simmmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the dumplings are cooked and tender.
10. If you desire the broth to be a little thicker, add 4 Tbsp Clabber Girl Corn Starch with 4 Tbsp water and mix together until well blended. Then add this mixture gradually to the Chicken and Dumplings and mix in until desired consistency is reached.