KERN COUNTY WWII VETERANS MEMORIAL
Board Meeting February 8th, 2022
- Call to Order: 6:13pm Ed Gaede
- Invocation: Dan Schaffer
- Pledge of Allegiance: Ed Gaede
- Roll Call: Mayde Hurley, Karen Lopeteguy, Ed Gaede, Walter Grainger, Kathleen Schaffer, Dan Schaffer, Paul Burzychp, David Williams, Wendy Ward, Rebecca Hernandez
- Introduction of guest(s): Rebecca Hernandez – Help with volunteers
- Motions to approve January 11th, 2022 Board Meeting Minutes / Vote: Ed Gaede opened floor for motion to vote - 1st Kathleen Schaffer 2nd Karen Lopeteguy, All in Favor - No Nays
- January 2022 Financial Report / Motions to Approve / Vote: Karen Lopeteguy reviewed January 2022 Financials. Ed opened the floor for motion to vote – 1st Dan Schaffer 2nd Paul Burzychp
- Action Items from old business
- Presentation of Benjamin Victor’s drawing progress and budget overview by Paul Burzych:
- Ben Update: A few days behind w/original model. Found another model & child. Photo shoot on 2/6/22 with models. Artist rendering of photograph available in the next couple of days. Paul will email everyone when pictures are sent to him to everyone on board for comments.
- Klassen Update: Holding pattern, need to incorporate statue in pland to demonstrate to city plans & modify video. Met with City Park Director to meet w/Electrical contractor – concern with in-ground lighting due to vandalism & theft concern. Korean Memorial has lighting on flag pole.
- Proposed panning & construction schedule: Paul reviewed three components that are critical – Fundraising, Statue & granite. Possibly can start at construction site around Aug. 2022. Volunteer work can start sooner. Goal to raise $40,000 per month
- Fundraising committee report on current progress and scheduled events:
- Applebee’s fundraiser breakfast 3/12/22 8am – 10:30am $10 a plate - $5 benefit WWII organization. Drive Thru lunch w/Channel 17 on hold due to COVID to use Compassion Corner. Jeff Salters volunteered to cook.
- Golf Tournament: Jim Swafford volunteered to coordinate and put together. Tentative date of 6/20/22 at Seven Oaks Country Club
- Car Show: Jack & Kathy Vetter volunteered to coordinate car show. Justina working with a business to coordinate vendors and entertainment.
- Media Blitz Commercial: Wendy working with ROC. Kiki Contreras reaching out to GM’s
- Train Robbers vs Wasco Reserve: $2 per ticket. Link to register to sell for game on 5/27
- Marc Sandall has an interviewed scheduled with Channel 29 on Thursday and needing W9 for Eagle Mountain
- New Business
- Dr. Zelma Frankhouser payment for online training & filing of taxes/forms.: See attached
- Upcoming elections for executive board of directors in April 2022
- Prepayment of mail box : coming soon for us to pay and vote for reimbursement
- Confidentiality Form: Ed Gaede handed out confidentiality papers – please see attached
- Ed Gaede read the following email and text from Marc Sandall:
From: Marc Sandall <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: February 8, 2022 at 2:30:51 PM PST
To: Ed G <email@example.com>
Subject: Re: List of presentations
Good afternoon Ed snd board members,
First of all, I’d like to apologize for making you uncomfortable as per my asking questions to snd about David’s business. Just wanted to make sure your selection was the appropriate one.
Secondly, because I’ve used every waking moment to pound the pavement for our sponsorship opportunities to raise monies for the memorial, I will not be attending tonight’s meeting.
Here’s a detailed reason why;
My graveyard shifts end at 4,5, and 6 AM everyday. When I hit the pillow, I usually try snd get around 5 hours of sleep then I get up snd hit the ground running. Because of the fact that our baseball program at BHS as taken a hit due to coaching assignments that were filled and now not, because two had to now work 15 hour days, I had to take the Frosh/Soph team. There were only two coaches for two teams as I said earlier that I was taking time away to concentrate on getting sponsors. After practice I sleep then eat snd go back to work. Rinse snd repeat. So there you have my schedule as I will be sleeping during this meeting and for awhile future meetings. I will send a list of who I’ve given information to before meeting after practice today.
So, as to not look like I’m bailing out on the meetings, I’ve explained thoroughly.
Oh by the way, I’ve had a few people express to me that the quality of paper that info is printed on should be of a higher quality.
Ed Gaede stated: “I’m taking that as Mr. Marc Sandall’s resignation. So I went and spoke with Wendy Ward to step in and would like to bring it to the board to vote her in as Vice President.
Wendy Ward stated: I would like to open it to other members that have been here longer
Ed Gaede opened floor for motion: 1st Ed Gaede 2nd Dan Schaffer
10. New ideas / Upcoming Events / Future Committee Meetings: Paul Burzychp opened floor for motion to vote David Williams as lead of design on images on black granite. Mayde Hurley suggested WWII Veteran Walter Grainger and other WWII Veterans that experienced the War.
11. Adjourn Meeting / Next board meeting Tuesday, March 8th, 2022 6pm: Adjourned at 7:43pm by Ed Gaede
Minutes submitted by:______________________Print Name: Mayde Hurley
Approved by:______________________________Print Name: