Job Title: Veterinary Technician or Veterinary Assistant
Reports to: Practice Manager
Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent and either additional certification/education or work history in the veterinary field for Assistants, Technicians must be licensed or certified by a state.
Summary of position:
Veterinary assistants must be friendly, professional, and courteous, and capable of handling many tasks at once with many interruptions without becoming frustrated. The veterinary assistant must be calm even when clients are upset, when it is very busy, or in the face of an emergency. Veterinary assistants should greet clients and pets by their name and make them feel welcome. This position requires good computer skills, good math skills, and attention to detail. Veterinary assistants must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent, and work history in the veterinary field. Technicians must be certified or licensed by a state. THIS POSITION REQUIRES ON-CALL WORK ON A ROTATIONAL BASIS. When on call, you MUST be able to make it into the clinic within 20 minutes of receiving a call. We rotate our Iron Mountain staff through our Norway clinic, which is also on a rotational basis- all employees must be available to work at either location.
- Floater Assistant/Technician
- Turns on area computers and opens Infinity on each
- Gets exam rooms ready for surgical check in’s
- Helps check in surgical patients
- Assists any doctor or other assistant/technician if help is requested
- Fills prescriptions
- Answers questions in the technician bin
- Calls back owners with questions
- Makes calls to owners to check on progress of patients, notes in the medical record
- Makes paper charts paperless
- Checks labs from the previous day for results, if any positive fecal samples, prepares medication and calls owner to discuss
- Runs labs if lab tech is not available or not trained in that lab
- Performs any procedures that the exam doctors request them to do (radiographs, fluid administration, etc)
- Hospitalized patients
- Checks for any treatments to be done in the morning
- Monitors patients throughout the day, performs any treatments that are scheduled
- Covers lunches from 11:30 to 12:00 and 1 to 1:30 for receptionists
- Discharges surgical/hospitalized patients if the surgical assistant/technician is not available
- Manages doctors schedule
- Helps monitor the doctor’s schedules and keep them on time (load next appointment, etc)
- Helps monitor walk ins and keep them from waiting too long- ensure one walk in is always loaded so a doctor can easily walk in and start that exam while the doctor’s room technician loads the next appointment
- Prepares dental sample kits
- Surgical Assistant/Technician
- Checks in surgical patients
- Draws up medications to be administered by doctor, depending on doctor may also do the calculation
- Inserts intravenous catheter and starts fluids prior to surgery
- Administers pre-meds and induction medications
- Clips and preps surgical site
- Trims toenails
- Assists in surgery
- Makes medical notes after surgery
- Performs periodic TPR’s, adjusts temperature of cage/Bair Hugger as appropriate
- Enters charges for services provided
- Performs dental cleanings, charts appropriately
- Performs dental radiography
- Monitors anesthesia and adjusts appropriately
- Calls owner to schedule discharge time
- Discharges surgical patients
- Cleans up surgical area according to standards, restocks area
- Exam Room Assistant/Technicians
- Greets the client and patient by name in a welcoming manner and starts the medical record on the patient for the doctor.
- Updates the Census module with the correct information.
- Weighs patient and records weight if not already done
- Takes picture of patient and uploads to the database, preferably prior to generating the exam form
- Goes over client recommendation sheet with any non-sick patient
- Gets anything that is needed for the exam/appointment ready- i.e. draws up vaccines, gets eye pressure tester out, retrieves ear cleaner, etc.
- Enters charges for services provided
- Has client fill out any necessary forms (hospitalization consent, euthanasia consent, ACH, etc)
- Assists doctor with exam and any procedures performed. If procedure is transferred to a floater to perform, the exam room tech may assist the floater.
- Collects deposit from owner before hospitalizing
- Goes over any treatment plans/estimates with client
- Schedules any recheck or follow up appointments
- Ensures client leaves with appropriate copies of paperwork- i.e. annual exam forms, blood work results, vaccine certificates, etc.
- Walks client up front and introduces them to the receptionist that will be checking them out
- Communicates with floater technicians if help is needed to get the doctor back on time
- Cleans exam rooms at end of day and restocks
- Laboratory Assistant/Technician
- Runs all in-house labs
- Maintains lab equipment
- Cleans and autoclaves surgical packs
- Unloads and checks in inventory
- Wash dishes in kennels
- Prepares puppy/kitten folders for rooms
- Prepares pre-made TKD bottles
- Prepares lab samples to be sent out via FedEx
- Communicates with lab vendors if technical support is needed
- Performs periodic inventory counts as assigned by practice manager
- Tests autoclave for proper sterilization levels
- Cleans lab area at end of day
- Invoices/Checks out clients if no receptionists are available
- Updates medical records- ensure that previous vaccine records have been entered as reminders in our system
- Answers phones if no receptionists are available
- Ready to work at the start of shift
- Restrains patients, lifts patients up to 50lbs, lifts patients more than 50lbs with assistance.
- Participates in an on-call rotation with the other assistants/technicians.
- On-call one weekend every 5-10 weeks, depending on how many employees are in the rotation
- On call up to one night a week, depending on how many employees are in the rotation
- Available to be at the clinic if called in within 20 minutes
- Norway Veterinary Clinic Requirements
- Participates in a rotation at the Norway Veterinary Clinic. Currently that rotation is that you spend two weeks at Norway after your on-call weekend.
- Cleans area
- Shuts down all computers except WS 18 in Iron Mountain or the workstation in the pharmacy in Norway (lab server computer)
- Cleans break room if it is the “techs turn” according to tech/receptionist rotation
- Ensures all back doors are locked
- Continuing education duties
- Attends all staff and technician meetings unless excused by management
- Serves as a teacher/mentor to new hires
- Checks email and reads any clinic email within 24 hours
- If CE is required to maintain licensure, the clinic will assist with that and the fee to maintain your license. All CE that the clinic helps a staff member with financially must be pre-approved by clinic management.
- Other duties may be added as Management sees fit. These will be communicated to you if added.
Veterinary assistants and technicians report to the Technical Team Supervisor and Practice Manager.
I acknowledge that I have read this job description and agree that I am capable of performing all of the above mentioned job duties. I understand whom I report to and my objectives. I attest to the fact that I possess the attributes listed above which are necessary to fulfill the requirements of my position.
Employee Signature Date
Practice Manager Signature