This is an instructional role for a dedicated teaching professional whose main assignment will be teaching Mathematics to students in Standards 6-12.
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located in Lavale Valley, just outside Pune, India. We are an all girls school with a mission to empower girls of promise to lead lives of distinction and impact. Avasara Academy currently enrolls 350 students in standards 6-12 and will eventually have an enrollment of 500.
Students engage in our specialized curriculum that combines the academic excellence of the Cambridge curriculum with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and Indian studies. Students participate in hands-on leadership and real-world experiences culminating in either an entrepreneurial business or social initiative that serves as a platform for their leadership development. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks of people and capital that can facilitate large-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
Teaching Mathematics at Avasara Academy
In this new age of technology and information at our fingertips, memorizing procedures and formulas is not as important as it once was. Because of this, even though teaching mathematical procedures is important, it doesn’t have as much value as it did in the past. At Avasara Academy, we want to embrace the future by teaching maths in a way that will add a high value to students’ education. We expect our teachers to be able to teach in the following ways:
- Be able to help students develop a solid understanding of mathematical concepts that can be used in and out of the classroom
- Be able to help students to learn procedural maths so that they will be able to solve mathematical problems and do well on standardized exams
- Be able to help students develop skills that can be transferred to other situations such as designing, modifying, being creative, and analysing
- Document curricula, lesson plans and assessments accurately and clearly.
- Contribute to setting departmental goals and enhancing coordination across the curriculum.
- Create and maintain a safe and positive learning environment for all students.
- Model excellent instruction.
- Maintain a focus on high student achievement.
- Monitor student progress to ensure students’ learning and understanding.
- Communicate with students, teachers and parents about students’ progress.
- Contribute to a healthy school culture that supports students' academic, co-curricular, cultural and socio/emotional needs.
- Collaborate with and support colleagues within your department and across the school.
- Promote a vibrant extracurricular environment.
- Serve as an Advisor in our effective advisory program.
- Ensure that disciplinary guidelines are fairly and consistently applied.
- Provide for transparent, constructive and ongoing evaluation of self and peers.
- Contribute to school-wide goals and objectives.
- Serve and lead committees as required.
- Engage with and value all staff members, students, families, visitors and supporters.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- You have prior classroom experience in teaching mathematics
- You are fluent in English.
- You love children and enjoy helping them explore their ideas about the world.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You think creatively to identify solutions to problems.
- You are extremely driven and flexible with your working hours.
- You are a highly reflective practitioner.
- You embody the very type of leader the Academy aspires to create—you are an agent of positive change, and live up to our values of Integrity, Reflection, Empathy, Excellence, Interdependence, Fortitude, and Optimism.
- You believe wholeheartedly in the mission and vision of Avasara Academy.
Location: Pune, India
Start Date: May 2020
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position