Sociology/Global Perspectives Teacher
This is an instructional role for a dedicated teaching professional whose main assignment will be teaching Sociology or Global Perspectives to students in Standards 6-12.
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located in Lavale Valley, just outside Pune, India. We are an all girls school with a mission to empower girls of promise to lead lives of distinction and impact. Avasara Academy currently enrolls 350 students in standards 6-12 and will eventually have an enrollment of 500.
Students engage in our specialized curriculum that combines the academic excellence of the Cambridge curriculum with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and Indian studies. Students participate in hands-on leadership and real-world experiences culminating in either an entrepreneurial business or social initiative that serves as a platform for their leadership development. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks of people and capital that can facilitate large-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
The Humanities curriculum helps students understand overarching themes and ideas connected to civilization, culture and society, and develop argumentative, debate and research skills.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a focus on high student achievement and model excellent instruction.
- Build and maintain productive collegial relationships and demonstrate excellent collaborative skills.
- Accurately develop and clearly document curricula, lesson plans and assessments.
- Proactively build a healthy school culture that supports students' academic, extra-curricular, cultural and socio/emotional needs and values all staff members, students, families, visitors and supporters.
- Contribute to setting departmental goals and enhancing coordination across the curriculum.
- Ensure that all students make appropriate progress in learning in a safe and positive learning atmosphere.
- Promote a vibrant extracurricular environment.
- Ensure an effective advisory program.
- Ensure that disciplinary guidelines are fairly and consistently applied.
- Communicate with students, teachers and parents about student progress.
- Work in partnership with the leadership and instructional team to achieve school objectives.
- Serve and lead committees as required.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- You have experience teaching Sociology.
- You have experience teaching other Humanities subjects such as History, Global Perspectives, Social Studies, Psychology and/or Current Events.
- An undergraduate/masters degree in Sociology or a related subject is preferred.
- Experience in writing research papers is preferred.
- Mastery of the English language (reading, writing, speaking) is required. Proficiency in Hindi and/or Marathi (or a willingness to learn) is a plus.
- You have a personal interest in Sociology and stay up to date with current research.
- Experience using differentiated instructional practices, and able to teach students of mixed abilities through differentiated and personalized approaches.
- Experience teaching in a student-centered classroom environment.
- Experience participating in teams comprised of individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and national backgrounds.
- Experience using data to drive instruction.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- You think creatively to identify solutions.
- You are ambitious, and flexible.
- You embody the very type of leader the Academy aspires to create—you are an agent of positive change, and live up to our values of Integrity, Reflection, Empathy, Excellence, Interdependence, Fortitude, and Optimism.
- You believe wholeheartedly in the mission and vision of Avasara Academy.
- You are a highly reflective practitioner.
Location: Pune, India
Start Date: May 2020
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position