About Venture Café Miami
Venture Café Miami is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse innovation ecosystem. We collaborate with other stakeholders to curate programs, design activations and create partnerships that foster the social and economic growth of the region. Our work is designed to fill the gaps in Miami’s entrepreneurial and startup community that limit access to capital and opportunity.
Since our fall 2016 launch, our entrepreneurial platform has attracted over 36,000 innovators, resulted in 700+ unique resource delivery partnerships with local and national organizations and curated 1500+ free, entrepreneurial educational sessions, 40% of which are led by women and 70% by people of color.
We are a passionate team of community builders supported by an active and engaged group of volunteers committed to making Miami a true hub of innovation for all. We’re a growing team and looking for talented, purpose-driven individuals to join us. We offer competitive salaries, a dynamic work environment, amazing benefits and more.
VCM will look, feel, and operate like a startup. This environment also creates great opportunities to be creative and to envision new projects that will take VCM’s mission, and particularly its impact in South Florida to the next level. We believe in experiments as a way of learning.
Before submitting your application, be sure to review the corresponding job description. Please remember to complete you application online at: http://venturecafemiami.org/job-opportunities/ then send your resume only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title: Access Innovation Manager- Overtown
Location: Miami, FL
Application cycle closes: July 19, 2019
As the Overtown Initiative Manager of Venture Café Miami, you will be expected to use your ingenuity to creatively evaluate and resolve a wide variety of programmatic and operational needs of VCM specifically related to Overtown Connect initiative and directly related external partnerships. This includes managing the execution, logistics, programming, maintaining high service standards, monitoring and assessment, budgeting, resource management, promotion, and establishing strategic partnerships.
The Access Innovation Manager - Overtown will be active in the Miami and Overtown entrepreneurship community and steward Overtown Connect’s primary objectives of: (1) increase understanding of the needs of Overtown Entrepreneurs, (2) increase the resources available to Overtown Entrepreneurs, and (3) increase the capacity of Overtown Entrepreneurs to solve the problems limiting business grown.
The primary activities include but are not limited to:
- Managing the Overtown Innovation Initiative. Remain accountable for the Initiative, including supervision of junior team members and driving implementation strategy; lead the execution of the Scope of Work for all phases of the project, including core; serve as the main point of contact for community engagement; develop strategic partnerships and implementation of all programs contemplated by the Initiative.
- Identify, Cultivate and manage partnerships. Work collaboratively with other community organizations to identify and organize a system of entrepreneur training and lending that supports entrepreneurs in Overtown who have a vision of owning and operating businesses in their communities. Liaise with professional micro-lenders and training consultants to organize/coordinate entrepreneur classes and individualized technical support in various neighborhoods, develop programs to enhance the skills of Overtown entrepreneurs and entrepreneur/community workshops and builds our partnership with numerous community-based organizations.
- Increase access to financing resources, Oversee the recruitment, coordinating and packaging financing from a variety of sources to help first and second stage businesses expand and grow their businesses. Manager will monitor the loan underwriting, loan closing, and referral of technical assistance to Overtown Entrepreneurs.
- Reporting: lead ongoing monitoring and impact measurement for the initiative with the support of VCM’s Partnerships & Impact Manager. Provide comprehensive report of key outcomes, assessment findings and regular evaluation of NDC training products. Identifying qualitative indicators of impact for each component of the initiative and individual stories of success.
- Report on all finance and accounting processes for the Overtown Connect Initiative operation (understand P&L, tracking costs and sponsor/grant dollars, etc.).
- Balance work in the team office with being visible and engaged within the local innovation community, including attending events, meeting people, and building meaningful relationships.
- Oversee entrepreneur training products, schedule and course offerings and identify opportunities for innovation, new partnerships and improvements.
- Manage creation and implementation of specialized trainings, workshops and mini courses
- Work very closely with Overtown Entrepreneurs and loan partners, including maintaining a large portfolio of loans, remaining up-to-date on lending documentation, respond to loan inquiries, assesses potential applicants’ eligibility according to established lending guidelines.
- Manage entrepreneurship trainers, technical assistance consultants, and neighborhood partners, including creating opportunities for sharing of best practices, oversee regular convenings, oversee regular evaluation of all trainers and partners, obtain regular feedback from for initiative improvements, and identify opportunities for new partnerships
- Manage and/or facilitate other Venture Café Miami programs and projects as needed
Your Background & Experience:
- Our work, mission and purpose resonates with you. You believe in our core values: inclusion, diversity, connectivity, access and opportunity
- You are curious and creative. You are passionate about innovation and/or entrepreneurship initiatives and have previous experience in this space.
- You believe that innovation and entrepreneurship are instruments to improve the human experience, particularly when use as tools of empowerment, economic inclusion and access to opportunities and capital.
- You are goal-oriented, driven, determined, highly energetic, hard-working, an out-of-the-box thinker and unfailingly dependable
- You understand Miami most pressing challenges (i.e. income inequality and unequal access to opportunity) and embrace them as opportunities for change and problem-solving.
- You are curious and perhaps familiar with the evolution of business, industry and technology, while having a humanistic perspective.
- A bachelor’s degree in any field. Advanced degrees add significant value.
- Experience of at least three (3) years of staff supervision, business management, program management, curriculum development and evaluation as well as an ability to evaluate a business plan. A bonus is experience in business financing or familiarity with loan underwriting process.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Real, natural comfort with public speaking, in formal and informal settings, is key.
- Unwavering attention to detail, understanding that form is as important as function.
- Ability to work effectively in complex stakeholder environments. Enjoys and takes pride in being a doer, self starter and are comfortable in a nimble, fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational, project and task management skills.
- A diplomatic and consensus-oriented approach to decision-making. Clear views and positions without being dogmatic. Not a “yes-person”.
- Good listener. You know when it is pertinent to speak and when it is better to be quiet.
Compensation & Benefits
Targeted hiring range: $55,000 - $60,000. Benefits and compensation commensurate with experience. If you are interested in this position, please APPLY ONLINE HERE, then send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Venture Café Miami’s policy is to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetics, or other protected classes prohibited by applicable law. Further, we take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. We do not tolerate discrimination of any type or form.