QA Staff Proposal: Gender Initiatives & Engagement Officer
Creation of a role within QA dedicated to the engagement of minority genders in the quidditch community, developing initiatives to bridge gaps created by gender and facilitate the aims of Quidditch Australia and the sport of quidditch as a mixed gendered sport.
The responsibilities of this role are a guideline and are open for development as the role is new to QA in 2019. Quidditch Australia would like to thank Courtney Buckley for her assistance in drafting the responsibilities of the role.
- Development of community engagement regarding issues surrounding gender in quidditch, such as:
- Further discussion facilitated by QA Today gender in quidditch edition
- Initiating spaces for community discussion
- Partnering with QA Today to produce content, including seeking writers and content creators to share experiences and perspectives
- Creation of responsive and interactive activities to encourage involvement in topics
- Work with state associations to focus on minority gender engagement, as players, referees, snitches and administrators.
- Facilitate the development and running of referee and snitching workshops, in conjunction with state associations and QA gameplay committee.
- Facilitate the development and running of women in quidditch and gender inclusive focused training sessions.
- Development of resources for clubs
- Development of guides, articles and other resources regarding:
- Eliminating gender bias in coaching.
- Creating women and non-binary friendly spaces.
- Strategies for recognising and encouraging a wider variety of playstyles as valuable, and how to adjust team style to accommodate the playstyle of different genders.
- Development of resources similar to UK Quidditch, including tactics for smaller bodied players.
- Development of QA initiatives to facilitate greater gender inclusion
Aim To Organise
- “Women in Quidditch” / “Close the Gap” event in conjunction with state associations: One per state annually
- Similar events developed to encourage female snitches and referees conjunction with state associations: One per state annually
- Inclusion initiatives at/alongside Quidditch Australia’s State Shield (or similar), such as a women's only representative match: Smaller scale in 2019, focused on 2020
- Develop ideas to recognise female talent and excellence in Australia, facilitated from the Australian Quidditch Championships MVP discussion: Develop proposal for QUAFL 2019 & State Shield 2019