Hammonton Green Committee Minutes July 1, 2019
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
X Kerri Patton __Sara Verrillo _ Jen Rajkowski __ Steve Doran
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Eric Schmehl
- Events and Projects:
Community Garden Updates
- Children’s Garden workshops are waiting to be scheduled
- Master Gardeners have established 3 plots
- Master Gardeners are open to give Garden Talks in Aug., Sept., Oct.
- Advertising in Gazette for promoting garden events ($75)
- July 9: ACUA Garden Talk: Vermicomposting
- July 11 Nutritionist Children’s Wkshp at 10:00 am & Garden Talk at 6:30 pm
- July 13: Garden workday / meeting at 9:00 am
- July 28: Garden workday / meeting at 9:00 am
- August 21st Garden Talk-- Master Gardener?
- Eric is arranging hop harvesting visit to Timberline Farms
- Garden Potluck Dinner: Oct. 5th @ 4:30pm
HHS Rain Garden
- Additional grass plugs were planted
- Linda met with maintenance supervisor: irrigation & weeding plan in place
Lake Park Pollinator Garden
- Town will deliver soil
- Invasive plants to be removed where possible
- Dan will purchase native plants after beds are prepared
- Master Gardeners donated plants
- Advance notice for workday(s) will be provided
Composting Bin Pre-Order
- Pre-order for $60.00 per bin, scheduled drop off date TBD
- Suggested $100 FB advertising to increase order, no minimum given
- Amy will check with Isabella and/or Naomi for ideas on marketing composters, potential towns to partner with
- Application submitted on June 2nd!
- Review timeline; feedback should arrive mid-July
- GC in agreement to do annual updates rather than bigger lift every 3 years.
Green Business Program
- Onsite visit to Pistone’s was conducted by Mica, Sara, and Linda
- Certificate presented; photo taken for social media & Mica sent write-up to Gazette for publication
- Mazza’s Antique Marketplace to be contacted for applying to program
- Joe Bruno & Casciano need to have site visits scheduled
- Public recognition of participants before Town Council meetings / Brooke Sacco to access Council’s schedule
- Recognize all participants at Chamber of Commerce dinner
- Checklist & application process will be reviewed and updated by group.
- Mica will follow up with Cassie, Brooke & Ben Ott
Green Day Festival:
12-4 pm at Lake Park
(Rain Date: 9/22)
- 25 vendors so far!
- Reach out to vendors to encourage sign-up. Mica sent follow-up email.
- Fresh produce sale: contact farmers to ascertain interest
- Arts center: Plein Air Contest:
- $20.00 entry fee
- Need permit for use of lake area for contest?
- HAC will advertise event, make sure GC is mentioned in materials
- Start time: 7:00 a.m. / conclude 3:00 p.m.
- 4:00 judging & announcement of winners during Green Day, reception in Canoe Club afterward
- Artists and photographers to participate
- Award contestants at ceremony 4:30 in Canoe Club
- Can GC contribute cash prize for winner?
- Photo release form needed for:
- any contest art (HAC)
- pictures taken of visitors at Green Fair (Mica)
- Contact Penza’s Pies and Maplewood Inn for possible artwork display
- Refer vendors to register via Google form
- Please use this Google sheet to track sponsor contact (to avoid duplication)
- Fall Equinox activity? (occurs on September 23rd)
Green Day Planning Meetings & Action Items
- July 19th before Green Drinks (6:30 pm at Annata)
- August 5th @ GC monthly (7:00 pm at Town Hall)
- August 21st(6:30 pm at Garden before Garden Talk)
- September 9th @ GC monthly (7:00 pm at Town Hall)
- Mica: ask Denise if any vendor/ sponsor checks have arrived
- Jen: Pastore Orchards, toy recycling
- Kerri: Waretown Farms,
- Linda: follow up with ‘questionable’ vendors, Red Barn on 206
- Dan: Pinelands Adventures?
- Amy: Party Llama
- July 19th : Annata Wine Bar at 7:00 (Green Day planning meeting at 6:30)
National Night Out
- August 9th at High School grounds, 6:00-9:00 pm
- Volunteers needed for Green Committee table
- Giveaway ideas: Amy- forks, Kerri- car clips,
- Reusable bags need to be replenished
- Mica will create event lists, gather other materials
- August 15th 6:30 pm
- Jersey Friendly Yards presenting;
- Canoe Club reserved. Mica will invite Permaculture club to collaborate
Single Use Plastics Subcommittee
- Meeting July 10th 6:00 pm at Casciano’s
- Art project to be discussed for use in local parades/ Green Day
2. Open Floor
- Linda volunteered to take notes at meetings.
3. Next Garden/GC Meeting: August 5th, 7:00 pm at Town Hall 3rd floor conference room.
**Note that Garden ‘meetings’ will take place during July 13th and 28th workdays and August 10th and 25th workdays**