#304 - The Angry Chicken: “Year of the Dragon”
• Garrett • Jocelyn • Dills
Add in front of MP3 link for tacking: http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/
Intro: Welcome to The Angry Chicken!
Thanks to everyone for continuing to support us on Patreon. Go to Patreon.com/TAC.
Patreon Thanks Before Getting Started
TAC is supported by our epic Patrons. You can become a TAC Patron by going to Patreon.com/tac. Becoming a TAC patron gives you access to the TAC Discord Server, as well as the Deck Code for next week’s strategy section.
- Yomi Shiba
- JAMES RHINERSON
- Davis Beilue
Year of the Dragon Incoming
- Raven: Witchwood announced on March 12. Released April 12.
- Mammoth: Journey to Un’Goro announced February 27. Released April 6.
- Spoiler Image
- New teaser trailer dropped
- Features the Old Gods Fortune Teller turning over tarot cards
- She mentions “scrying” in the first line
- Looks like a team of 5, first the fortune teller, then someone from K&C.... Possibly Togwaggle? Way out there guess -> Sleepy Dragon. Maybe this is the 5 neutral Legendary cards?
Thanks to today’s sponsor Robinhood
Go to angrychicken.robinhood.com to claim your FREE stock!
Hall of Fame Rotations
- Druids have always had excellent flexibility and a number of different tools when it comes to generating mana, cards, and minions, but have long struggled to remove their opponent’s large minions. Naturalize effectively nullifies that weakness, giving Druids a powerful option in matchups where card advantage doesn’t matter. Moving it into the Hall of Fame enforces the Druid’s weakness in removing large minions, maintaining its class identity.
- While we like that minion combat is as much a part of the Warlock’s identity as destructive magic, we want to acknowledge and embrace the class’s weaknesses when they lose control of the board. To that end, we want to limit the amount of damage a Warlock can deal from their hand. As a powerful Charge minion, Doomguard pushes against the Warlock class identity, so we are moving it into the Hall of Fame.
- Donais: Doomguard was replaced because of its powerful impact and they can replace with with another card in the future.
- While we like Paladin’s identity as a minion-summoning and minion-buffing class with a fair amount of resource generation, card draw doesn’t also need to be one of the Paladin’s strengths. Divine Favor is one of the most cost-effective draw spells in the game, so to better emphasize other classes’ strengths and to provide better control over the power level of future aggressive Paladin decks, we are moving Divine Favor to the Hall of Fame.
- Everyone - Genn & Baku (& all Odd/Even cards)
- Those (Baku & Genn) strategies have been more prevalent than we’d intended in Standard, and we felt that they might end up overshadowing what we’re going to introduce in the Year of the Dragon. In order for set rotation to breathe new life into Standard and maintain overall health of the ladder, we are rotating Baku and Genn into the Hall of Fame a year earlier than normal.
- Gloom Stag, Black Cat, Glitter Moth, and Murkspark Eel will also join the Hall of Fame.
Reminder: Don’t disenchant these cards. In fact, craft the golden versions. You’ll be granted the full Arcane Dust value for each card (up to the maximum number that can be used in a deck). The dust will be automatically awarded once you log-in after the Year of the Dragon begins.
Mike Donais on Malygos and Mind Blast
Donais: There's lots of other candidates. We talked about cards like Malygos, which we talk about every year. We decided not to go with Malygos again, because of all the new decks that he creates. An important thing in card games is to have different types of decks. Not every type of deck should be medium-sized minions fighting. There needs to be small minions, big minions, and there needs to be some Malygos decks and other tricky decks that have different game plans. That's what makes card games interesting.
Donais: I think the Mind Blast problem will be temporarily improved because of Shadow Visions leaving, but I don't think that's a hard solve. Mind Blast is also on our list, both because it doesn't match Priest class identity. They're not supposed to be the face damage class. And it's also pretty powerful in the right decks. It has had a big design impact on us with the resurrection decks especially. You're seeing people resurrect and do Mind Blast.
- The two primary factors for cards being sent to the Hall of Fame are card power level and class identity.
- Really powerful cards that consistently show up and have a large impact on the meta are good candidates.
- Druids are more about mana creation, not removal. That's why Naturalize was sent to pasture.
- They talk about Malygos moving every year but decided against it again because of the decks he creates.
- Mind Blast's One Turn Kill (OTK) potentially is reduced thanks to the rotation of Shadow Visions. The card remains on the short list.
Big thanks to our sponsor Harry’s
Listeners of our show can redeem their trial set at Harrys.com/tac
Constantly rotating Arena Draft Pool
- Rotations will occur twice every expansion.
- “With the first rotation, the Arena draft pool will contain the following sets: Basic, Classic, Curse of Naxxramas, Whispers of the Old Gods, Mean Streets of Gadgetzan, The Witchwood, and the first expansion of this year.”
- Winning a game in an Arena run will now count towards the total win count of the Hero you chose to play, making it easier for you to get to those coveted 500 wins.
Solo Adventure Overhaul
“We’ve received overwhelmingly positive feedback on our Dungeon Run–style missions” boy we are in the minority apparently.
“The first Solo Adventure in the Year of the Dragon launches about a month after the first expansion of the year, kicking off with a free chapter. You’ll get to master the new systems and mechanics from the perspective of a mysterious (yet familiar) new Mage character.”
Pay to unlock more solo chapters
- 5 chapters in total
- 700 gold for each chapter
- $19.99 for the “entire experience”
- 2 new characters to play per chapter
- Each with three Hero Powers and four starting decks to unlock
- “dozens of new bosses across multiple game modes”
- After completing each chapter, you’ll earn three card packs from the new expansion, and for completing all five chapters, you’ll get a card back and a Golden Classic pack.
Summit folks got to play the single-player and are putting out WAY more info than the official Hearthstone post
- Sounds like 5 chapters per expansion, not across the entire year
- Attendees got to play through all 5 chapters
- Each chapter allows you to go on a run to defeat eight successive opponents
- In every chapter, there's a particular set of circumstances, such as three 'cart' units occupying the board to limit your number of units, or swapped health and attack for all units.
- Donais explained how the new single-player adventure builds on past experiences with "dungeon runs, and then certainly monster hunts, and even puzzle labs" which they "put together in a way that makes sense, kind of cherry picking the best parts from each of these experiences".
- Pick from 3 pre-made decks of 10 cards or choose a random combination.
- Choose a hero and one of three possible hero powers.
- We started our adventure with the warrior class and instead of the familiar 'gain two armour' hero power, we picked one that shuffled two exploding cards into the opponent's deck. We got through the first few opponents quite easily and built a deck focused on taunt minions and the warrior's Sulfuras quest.
- Whenever you defeat an opponent, there's loot in the form of three additional cards for your deck, upgrades to your hero power or treasures.
- Hero power upgrades include drawing two additional cards each turn with immunity to fatigue, or our pick during the first run: your hero power costs 1 mana and is usable twice a turn.
- Treasure comes in the form of powerful units and spells, such as a spell buffing all minions in your deck or one that allows you to take control of opposing minions.
- Permanent effect treasures are still a thing
The Tavern Encounter
- Non-combat board
- Here you can make alterations to your deck using coins instead of mana, to allow for some added fine-tuning.
- The opponents you're facing are hard to predict though, as are their specific hero powers. For example, one opponent summons a 1/1 copy of each unit card they draw, another druid-class opponent permanently has both choose one effects combined, while a warlock-class opponent is able to summon an equal-cost unit for every unit card he discards. There's plenty of challenge in here in our opinion. We beat the adventure run on the first try with our warrior deck, handing out 2-damage cards and hiding behind our taunt minions, but were quickly defeated on the next few attempts.
- Free Packs! Login between March 25 and April 2 to get free packs. One per day.
- Via PCGamer: “Zayle, Shadow Cloak is (see the image listing all the PvE content), it's the new Whizbang the Wonderful. You'll earn a golden copy of Zayle for owning all five wings, and he'll enable you to play with five new deck recipes. And because Zayle is golden, so will all the cards in those decks be. Again, great for new players, or those who love a bit of bling.”
- Fireside Pre-releases are now the norm
- At home pre-releases will now be a thing as well for smaller unlisted FSGs
- Rerolling Legendary quests piss off Monster Hunt quests!
- Random card back option
- Lyns confirmed that the wooden card back is a possibility through the random selection
- This year, we’re sending the deck completer back to school to become a bit smarter. More details soon.
- Logging into the game between midnight on March 25, 2019 and midnight of April 2, 2019 will reward you with one pack each from the Journey to Un’Goro, Knights of the Frozen Throne, and Kobolds & Catacombs expansions.
- Tavern Brawl: Brawl Block – Year of the Mammoth. This constructed Brawl will only allow cards from Journey to Un’Goro, Knights of the Frozen Throne, and Kobolds & Catacombs, and will award the usual Classic pack with your first win.
- AMA on Reddit on Thursday, March 7 at 1:00 p.m. PST.
An HCT Winter Champion has been crowned
After four days of competition and an interesting tiebreaker bracket, we have a champion as well as our final HCT World Championship qualifiers
- Because of the way the groups shook out, all but one member of the Top 8 was guaranteed to qualify for the World Championship, which lead to the odd tiebreaker bracket
- Roger won the tournament, which wasn’t without controversy
- Roger was part of the HGG team disqualified for cheating this past year, the penalty for which was forfeiting the team’s trip to BlizzCon as well as any prize money
- He was also seen win trading on his stream in the spring, which allowed his friend to secure a Top 25 ladder finish and qualify for playoffs. This event was never punished nor validated by Blizzard
- Many people feel he shouldn’t have been allowed to compete in this year’s HCT proceedings
- The 16 players who will be competing in the World Championship are:
- EU: BunnyHoppor, A83650, Viper, Hunterace
- NA: Killinallday, Languagehacker, Bloodyface, Justsaiyan, Ike, Muzzy
- APAC: Bloodtrail, Roger, Tyler
- China: Jing, Yueying, XiaoT
- World Championship starts April 24th in NA, April 25th in the host country of Taiwan
TAC is supported by our epic Patrons. You can become a TAC Patron by going to Patreon.com/tac. Becoming a TAC patron gives you access to the TAC Discord as well as other perks!
If you dig the show drop us a 5 star review on the iTunes. Helps TAC find new listeners!
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H and Sean C! TAC coffee mugs and glasses are over at etched.amove.tv and our t-shirts are for sale at shirts.amove.tv.
The back catalogue of TAC can be found over on Amove.tv and Youtube.com/Amovetv. Follow the show on Twitter @TACpodcast!
Catch the live show Tuesday nights at 4pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/amovetv. Catch the live show from virtually any device thanks to AlphaGeekMedia.com. And big thanks to briangriffithmusic.com for our music.
Dill’s where else can everyone find you?
Follow Dills @WillieDills
Check out my stream at twitch.tv/williedills
SX so Wasted on March 9th - http://bit.ly/nightattackaustin
Joce where can you be found?
Follow Jocelyn @JocePlays
The Gamers’ Inn
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
Enter the Apex: An Apex Legends Podcast