Published using Google Docs
ADC-IARPC Semantics WG 2021-03-16

ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


               

Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2021-03-16 20:00 UTC (01:00 PM MST and 21:00 CET)

Where

Join Zoom Meeting

https://met-no.zoom.us/j/65164056393 

Meeting ID: 651 6405 6393

Find your local number: https://eu01web.zoom.us/u/cVQTDQY6y 

Minutes

  1. Participants
  1. Rebekah, Chantelle, Øystein, Mark, SiriJodha, Ruth, Shannon, Pier Luigi
  1. Adoption of the agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of the minutes of the previous meeting
  1. 2021-02-16
  1. Approved
  1.  Review of open action items
  1. Action: Rebekah and Peter will check if text of the draft open letter can be modified to reduce pitfalls around digital (re)colonisation. 
  1. Done
  1. Action: Rebekah will invite interested people to a side meeting to continue discussing the aspect of digital (re)colonisation in the draft open letter.
  1. Rebekah, Peter and SiriJodha will attend. Pier Luigi will observe.
  1. Done
  1. Action: Everybody to review the draft open letter.
  1. Done
  1. Action: Øystein to send email checking whether we should move the meeting time as daylight savings start.
  2. Action: Rebekah to rephrase the third last paragraph.
  1. Continued review of the draft of open letter to various large scale frameworks or organisations on how to use semantics and address user needs.
  1. Rebekah voiced some concern on the use of AI in the letter as this has negative connotations in some communities. Following a thorough discussion several parts of the letter were modified (clarification of terminology, e.g. what is semantics in this context, putting AI more into context and clarification of ethical considerations).
  2. Following the discussion on AI, Pier Luigi suggested that this group should engage in https://en.unesco.org/artificial-intelligence.
  1. https://en.unesco.org/artificial-intelligence/ethics 
  1. The letter is now approaching a form that can be used. Rebekah will simplify a paragraph to make it read better.
  1. Action: Rebekah to rephrase the third last paragraph.
  1. Letter to be revisited in the next meeting for approval.
  1. Update to ESIP Science on Schema Guidelines - Rebekah
  1. https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org/
  2. Version 1.2 is released. It doesn’t yet provide recommendations for how to use “variableMeasured” property. Input on what to use instead of “variableMeasured” are  asked for. Discussions are ongoing for another month or two. This would be finalised in June.
  3. This should be a priority in the next group meeting.
  1. Polar Semantics Planning Matrix updates - Peter and Ruth
  1. The matrix is available at Matrix of metadata harvesting relationships
  2. The matrix and other materials from this family of meetings are being documented in two papers:
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Harvesting Portion
  2. Matrix with additional fields as discussed during a WG meeting in 2020 for consideration on the new triple store to support this activity.
  1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m_xBrpW6EqqZ4oRzc5kZkpt4c8h6qqGmJIVcd9BJCpc/edit#gid=1643486333
  2. Update on status
  1. Peter was not present.
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Recommendations Portion
  1. Update on status
  1. Rut is still working on this.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. No time.
  1. On hold, to be addressed if time
  1. Discussion of the concepts data, information and knowledge and whether existing definitions we are working with applies in a broad sense, including local and traditional/indigenous knowledge. - Rebekah
  1. Discussion of issues raised in the 2020-12-15 meeting.
  2. Concepts being discussed now are:
  1. Data
  1. A set of values, symbols, or signs (recorded on any type of medium) that represent one or more properties of an entity. For example, the numbers generated by a sensor, values derived from a model or analysis, text entered into a survey, or the raw text of a document
  1. Information
  1. Products derived from data that lead to a greater understanding of an entity. For example, (i) the interpretation of a range of data from an array of conductivity sensors across the Arctic Ocean that informs us about that ocean’s salinity range or (ii) the narrative text of a report on harmful algal blooms that informs the reader on the timing of these blooms.
  1. Knowledge
  1. An abstract representation (i.e. a mental model) of an entity which: (i) is constructed from a substantial collection of information, (ii) grants its bearer reliable familiarity with that entity, and (iii) can be used to reason and take action about that entity. For example, an expert with knowledge about the salinity range of the Arctic Ocean (constructed from large amounts of information on the topic) would be able to reason that a salinity value of 43% is a likely error, rather than a real measurement.
  1. It was in the previous meeting we agreed that a living process that can be adapted as we continue engagement is required. How do we address this?
  2. It was in the previous meeting suggested that a joint statement towards e.g. Arctic Council outlining activities, goals, objectives, requests etc. is developed together with other relevant groups. How do we address this?
  1. Following discussions on the 2020-08-18 meeting, discuss definitions of data and datasets that could be used in the Arctic Community - Rebekah/Pier Luigi
  1. Background material
  1. The UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development Implementation Plan v2.0. (See glossary for definitions of data, information, knowledge, and digital knowledge ; note we had to tone down the technical aspects as this document goes to the GA) : https://www.oceandecade.org/assets/uploads/documents/Ocean-Decade-Implementation-Plan-Version-2-0-min_1596634145.pdf 
  2. IWG-SODIS https://iode.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=598:inter-sessional-working-group-to-propose-a-strategy-on-ocean-data-and-information-stewardship-for-the-un-ocean-decade-iwg-sodis&catid=65&Itemid=89 
  3. A dedicated channel in the Slack space has been set up to capture discussions between meetings.
  1. A paper/report on the Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire - Pier Luigi
  1. Pier Luigi is exploring this with support from Ruth, Mark and Øystein.
  1. Link to responses: Polar Vocabularies (Responses)
  2. See previous minutes for details.
  3. Update on status
  1. Regular interoperability workshops debriefs and plans - Rebekah/Øystein
  1. Lessons learned in the September 2nd workshop that should be further discussed
  1. https://github.com/POLDER-Crew 
  2. Polar practices recommendations for implementing schema.org is the short term goal
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 20:00 UTC (21:00 CET, 15:00 EST, 13:00 MST).
  1. Next meeting will be Tuesday 20th April.
  2. Øystein will create a calendar invite.
  1. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.