SOMA Cultural Anchor Fund
Letter of Interest Guiding Prompts
Application Period Closed
There is no right or wrong LOI structure. We want to hear about your organization in your voice. Feel free to use the prompts below to guide how you address the scoring criteria. None of these questions are required in your response; they are simply suggestions.
MISSION FIT (20 POINTS)
Describe your organization’s focus on the practice, exhibition, or performance of creative activity, artistic expression, cultural preservation, and community healing, and how the mission is reflective of the communities served.
- Share your organization’s mission, vision or strategic plan summary.
- How does your organization ensure these values permeate through all aspects of business?
- How does your organization communicate these values to external stakeholders?
- How does your organization inspire external stakeholders to uphold these values?
- Who in your organization is responsible for staying accountable to your guiding principles?
- How often does your organization refresh its mission, vision or strategy?
- How do your organization’s stakeholders participate in formation, implementation and accountability practices?
- How is your organization led and governed?
- How is feedback given and received within various stakeholder groups including staff and board?
- Do you have any plans to implement changes to these areas of practice?
TRACK RECORD AND ORGANIZATIONAL IMPACT (20 POINTS): Tell us how your organization has meaningfully engaged the SOMA community before and during the 5M project, and share your organization’s most important accomplishments and the impact they’ve had on SOMA-based beneficiaries.
- Who are your organization’s stakeholders?
- What impact does your organization have on its stakeholders?
- How does your organization measure impact?
- Who are your organization’s beneficiaries?
- Where are your beneficiaries located, including any beneficiaries previously displaced from SOMA?
- Describe your organization’s track record of meaningful, positive impact on SOMA beneficiaries, both current and displaced?
- How does your organization’s programming address the stated needs of your beneficiaries?
- What impact does your organization have on its staff, board and volunteers?
- Tell us how your broader community supports the organization.
- Tell us about your history of working in the SOMA neighborhood.
- What critical points in SOMA’s recent history have most strongly affected your organization and/or its communities?
- How has your organization advocated for or against changes in the SOMA neighborhood?
- Does your organization play a key role in representing the SOMA community in municipal, philanthropic, and community conversations?
- How do your staff and board members reflect the SOMA community, current and displaced?
- Tell us about your organization’s relationships across sectors and industries within SOMA.
PROJECT’S LONG-TERM IMPACT ON ORGANIZATION (20 POINTS)
Tell us about your organization’s business model, funding sources, fixed costs, and cash flow, and how these may be strengthened by the proposed project.
- How does your organization support its programming?
- Who are your funders or clients?
- What is your business model?
- Tell us about your fixed and variable costs.
- Is your organization experiencing ongoing financial constraints?
- If so, how do these constraints impact your organization’s long-term vision?
- Is your organization facing barriers to accessing capital? If so, what are they?
- Describe the cash flow rhythm of your organization.
- How might this project lead to stronger ongoing financial and operational performance?
PROJECT’S LONG-TERM IMPACT ON COMMUNITY (20 POINTS)
Explain how the proposed project will catalyze long-term anchoring for the SOMA community.
- Describe how the project will impact your organization’s ability to provide services and programming in the SOMA community in 5,10, 20 years.
- Who will benefit from the project?
- How will your beneficiaries be impacted by the project now, in 5, 10, 20 years?
- How will the project sustain or increase the services and programming your organization offers to the SOMA community?
- Tell us how the project will anchor communities in SOMA.
- How will your ability to attract and retain beneficiaries, volunteers, funders, and other key stakeholders be impacted by the project?
- Describe how the project will sustain, create, or expand arts and culture space in SOMA.
- How might the project contribute to greater arts investment or other positive community development outcomes for SOMA-based beneficiaries?
IMPACT OF 5M ON ORGANIZATION (20 POINTS)
Describe how the 5M development has negatively affected your organization and its beneficiaries, and what the future impact of the 5M project may be on your communities.
- Has your organization been displaced as a result of the 5M development?
- Have your beneficiaries been displaced as a result of the 5M development?
- Have your employees been displaced as a result of the 5M development?
- How has your organization’s access to practice or performance space been impacted by the 5M development?
- How has the 5M development impacted your ability to operate on a daily basis?
- How has the 5M development impacted the financial performance of your organization?
- Has the ongoing construction impacted your staff or your beneficiaries’ access to transportation around your current site?
- How has the 5M development impacted your neighborhood as a whole?
Submit a Letter of Interest here.
To view answers to common questions, visit the FAQs.
If you still cannot find the answer to your question, email firstname.lastname@example.org.