Hammonton Green Committee Minutes May 6, 2019
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X_ Jeanette DePiero X_Mica McCullough X_ Amy Menzel X_ Linda Esposito
__ Kerri Patton __Sara Verrillo __Jen Rajkowski __ Steve Doran
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Susan Weingartner, John McCaffery, Ellie Gibson, Paige Macauley, Robin Chieco, Kathia Ramirez, Marcos Jimenez, Deborah White, Eric Schmehl, Charley Crowley
- Events and Projects:
Community Garden Update
- 13 available plots, 5 donation plots; John M. requested 2nd plot- APPROVED.
- Ellie June 11th Garden Talk 6:30 pm “Whole Plant Cooking”
- Paige Macauley (ShopRite Nutritionist) garden talk will be 7/11 at 6:30. Her children’s workshop will be earlier the same day.
- Charley will look into minor maintenance issues at the Garden.
- Garden Workdays: May 19th, June 1st & 23rd, July 13th & 28th,
HHS Rain Garden Installation
- Robin Chieco, School Superintendent-- 3 rain gardens will be installed at HHS by Rutgers, PPA & GC volunteers on May 29 (rain date 5/31) from 7:30-2:30. Any GC volunteers must RSVP in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org
- At April’s 6 events, HGC gave away approximately 200 reusable bags, lots of cups & rulers, & collected several dozen email addresses (Mica has added to Mailchimp)
- Planting dates scheduled for May 18th & 19th (on left side of driveway pulling into Lake Park).
- ~200 butterfly weed plugs will be ready to plant when garden is ready.
RedCross Fire Awareness Campaign- Updates?
- Amy will reach out to high schoolers for canvassing date (still TBD) to make residents aware of 6/1 campaign.
- Mica will create a signup form for volunteers for 6/1
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED for June 1 door-to-door campaign.
Compost Bin Pre-Order
- Amy will share concerns about reaching number of pre-orders.
- Plastics Subcommittee meeting, 6:00 pm @ Casciano, May 8th
- Planning large-scale art project
Sustainable Jersey planning
- Next SJ meeting date-- Mon, May 20, 6:30 pm at Hammonton Arts Center (downstairs). This will be our FINAL meeting before submission is due on June 2.
- Green Business Program-- Linda, Amy & Sara will look at Fermented’s application. Mica will help review Thin Place Farm app. Feel free to share this program with local businesses!
Green Day 9/21 (rain date 9/22)
- Lake Park reserved; Recycling Central will still be at Fairgrounds
- Vendor form updated-- please share with local businesses & orgs!
- Mica will update sponsor form for 2019 share with committee.
- Jeanette will talk with HAC about potential plein air competition.
- Toy Recycling- Amy will report back from Second Chance Toy Recycling, potential to tie in with HMC at Green Day.
- Garden Workday May 19th, 10:00 am-- a small group can clean up trash in the woods behind compost pile.
- Adopt-A-Road Cleanup June 15th, 9:00 (meet at library)
- Green Drinks July 19th, 7:00 pm, Amy will ask Annata Wine Bar
- National Night Out, August 9. Mica will reserve HGC spot.
- Eye Opening Film & Lecture Series-- tentatively August 15th with Jersey Friendly Yards (Mica will reach out).
2. Open Floor
- Hammonton Historical Society is hosting a House & Garden Tour on June 22 from 9-3. There is the opportunity for GC to have a table at the event.
3. Next Garden/GC Meeting: June 3rd, 6:30 pm for Garden, 7:00 for GC