Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - May 7, 2018
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
X Kerri Patton _Sara Verrillo __Courtney Volpe
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dan Bachalis, Gordon Pherribo, Renee Cramer, Eric Schmehl,
- Events and Projects:
Plastic Bag Ban/Fee
- Long Beach Twp ban vs. Ventnor fee
- Dan will draft an ordinance, bring to future meeting
- Green Committee will conduct an education campaign (pamphlets, flyers, bag giveaways, window clings, Spanish translations, encourage stores to put flyers in coupon mailers, cart stickers, etc.)
- Can we invite someone to a future meeting to share challenges/ successes? Monica Coffey?
Balloon Release Ordinance
- Egg Harbor City just got ordinance passed; Jeanette will try to get a copy of it for future meeting
- Dan & Amy will draft, send through Quality of Life Committee
- If fast-tracked, earliest implementation is end of June
- Educational campaign will consist of alternative ways to celebrate/commemorate (flower planting, bubbles, etc.) and “there is no such thing as biodegradable” or “biodegradable can still take X years”
- Mica will look at our current SJ standing, how many points needed,
- SJ subcommittee will meet Weds May 23 at 7:00 pm in the Town Hall conference room.
- Compiling “proof” of SJ activities can be done in Google Drive. Mica will create & share with subcommittee
Green Day 2018,
Sunday Sept 23
- .Mica will submit Use of Facilities form to reserve location
- Amy will update last year’s resolution to make sure Council recognizes it
- Amy will update & send sponsor & vendor letters
- Dan will reach out to Pinelands Adventures
- Gordon will contact the drug lockbox vendor
- Green Day planning meeting Thurs. June 28, 7pm in Town Hall 3rd floor.
- HAC is collecting old CDs, yarn, branches, etc. for dreamcatchers again. Any collected items can be given to Jeanette.
- August-- pollinator movie, Flight of the Butterflies on Netflix?
- Later in fall, bag/balloon screening campaign in schools
Adopt a Road Cleanups
- Next cleanup scheduled for Sunday, June 10 at 10:00 am. Meet at Library.
2. Garden Update -
- Next meeting Monday, June 4, 7:00 pm at Town Hall.
3. Open Floor
- Is there a way to capture & reuse water from flushing fire hydrants?
- ANJEC Pollinator Grant- hope to hear back by May 11 for removing invasive species from lake park & replacing with native pollinators
- If GC is interested in showing a longer-format film for EOFLS or other event, these can (tentatively) take place at Dan’s house
- TerraCycle recycles contact lenses-- ask your eye doctor!