Homework/In-Class Assignments for Mr. Abe’s World History Class
Unit V: The Great War
World War I, or the Great War, was supposedly the war to end all wars. The war engaged most of the world’s most powerful nations and countries of every continent participated. The war was caused by a culmination of many factors that exploded into a conflict after the assassination of Austria’s Archduke. Imperialism, colonialism, militarism, a grand system of alliances, and rampant nationalism played parts in the eruption of war. With over 15 million dead, the war had devastating consequences that will profoundly change the power struggle in Europe and the world. The rise of America to power which will then choose post-war isolationism would lend itself to a weak international system of cooperation challenged by a global depression. Power vacuums in countries such as Germany and Italy would be filled with dictators and fervent nationalism that will open the doors to yet another global war.
Go Back to Unit IV Table of Contents
- Recap Trial of Kaiser Wilhelm (#6)
- Great War Lecture to Assassination (#7)
- Start Video: Great War Part I w/videoguide (#8)
- Print Unit V Schedule (use this link to print if you’re having trouble) and place in your in your binder. (#5) – take items #1-4 from your first semester binder and place it into your second semester binder.
- Read Malignant Nationalism (per. 1 please print too)(#9 )
- Read WWI Packet by the Test (could be useful for the trial) (Per. 1- will be handed out on Wed.) (#10)
- Lawyers and witnesses mentioned in class must print and read “The Iron Dice” And “Why Did Britain Join the War Against Germany?” (10.5)
- Do WWI Begins W/S (#11)
- Trial Starts Mon. 1/29
- Video: Great War Part One w/ videoguide (#8)
- Lecture: up to Western Front (#7)
- Read and DO: Chpt. 13 sect 2 Europe Plunges Into War (#12)
- Bring at least one article regarding your witness character (or aspect of the trial)
- Lawyers: bring your materials for tomorrow
- Witness Bios due: FRI. 1/19 1.5 pg bios of the witnesses’ involvement with WWI
- Finish Lecture: US’s Entry w/ Zimmerman Note (#13)
- Video: Animals in the Trenches/WWI Propaganda
- Trial Work Time
- Read Chpt 13 sect. 3
- Trench Warfare (#14) and Weapons of the Great War (#15)
- Work on trial: Witness Bios due: Fri. 1/19- 1.5pg bios of the witnesses’ involvement with WWI
- Trial Starts MON. 1/30
- Lawyers: read Iron Dice if you haven’t . Lawyers and Witnesses: You must bring all of your research to class
- Great War Part 2 (#16) (50 minutes)
- Primary Source Analysis- Battle of the Somme (#17) 20 minutes)
- Onion Article on WWI (#18)
- Video: Red Baron (5 minutes)
- Read “Total War” (#19)
- Read: Snoopy’s Red Baron (#20)
- *Finish Primary Source Analysis (if you didn’t complete it in class) (#17)
- Lawyers and witnesses: bring your materials for tomorrow (BIOS due TOMORROW!)
- Lecture WWI Lecture- Battle of Jutland, Battle of Amiens, End of the War
- Trial Work: lawyers start interviewing witnesses
- Read the Onion: WWI article (#)
- · Read: Could Annie Oakley Have Prevented WWI? (#)
- · Work on Trial- starts next Friday. Everyone who needs to be dressed (prosecution witnesses, lawyers, and judge) should be dressed by the time the tardy bell rings. Judge, lawyers and witnesses please be sure to: review Trial Instructions. Witnesses- be sure to have your Bios present
- Treaty of Versailles Activity (#)
- Treaty of Versailles
- Read Major Provisions of the Treaty of Versailles (#)
- Video: WWI: Animals in WWI
- Prep Trial
- Read Chpt 13 sect 4
- Study for Test: Studyguide (#) handed out in class
- Trial Prep
- Review for WWI Test
- Study for Test: Studyguide (#) handed out in class Lawyers and witnesses bring your trial materials!
- Witnesses and other participants- BE DRESSED BEFORE CLASS STARTS!!
- Trial: Starts Opening Prosecution Witness and start Defense Witnesses
- Prosecution Witnesses/ Start Defense
- Study for WWI Test Tue.
- Trial Stuff: Lawyers Peer Evaluations Due on MON.
- Jurors: Min- 2 1/2pgs typed- decision paper: please include your decision and SUPPORT using your notes on what the witnesses said in the trial to justify your decision. ATTACH YOUR NOTES TO THE PAPER DUE one week from when the trial ends in your class.
- Here is the studyguide (#) for the Test
- Continue and Finish Trial
- Juror Papers: Min- 2 1/2pgs typed- decision paper: please include your decision and SUPPORT using your notes on what the witnesses said in the trial to justify your decision. ATTACH YOUR NOTES TO THE PAPER DUE one week from when the trial ends in your class.
- Here is the studyguide (#) for the test
- TEST WWI
- START UNIT VI- RISE OF TOTALITARIAN DICTATORS:
- Start Portrait of Russian Czars (#)
- **Start Lecture: Russian Revolution to Stalin