ST MARY’S BY-THE-SEA PACIFIC GROVE, CALIFORNIA
Videos, Readings and Other Useful Resources
SHORT VIDEOS TO INSPIRE AND INFORM:
BOOKS & READING
- CLIMATE CHURCH, CLIMATE WORLD: How People of Faith Must Work for Change, Jim Antal (2018) Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
- STEWARDS OF EDEN: What Scripture Says About the Environment and Why It Matters, Sandra L. Richter (2020) InterVarsity Press
- THE COSMIC COMMON GOOD: Religious Grounds for Ecological Ethics Daniel P. Scheid (2016) Oxford University Press
- Resolution A – Encourage Creation Care, adopted by the 40th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of El Camino Real, November, 2020:
Resolved, that this 40th Convention of the Diocese of El Camino Real encourage all congregations to celebrate Earth Sunday on the Sunday closest to Earth Day and the Season of Creation from September 1 to St. Francis’ Day each year; and to educate and engage in the care of creation with special emphasis on the climate crisis and our role as God’s stewards; and be it further
Resolved, that clergy and lay leaders shall encourage households within their congregations to take immediate and ongoing action to live a responsible sustainable lifestyle and to reduce their carbon footprints, using tools such as The Episcopal Church’s carbon tracker Sustain Island Home
LINKS TO OTHER RESOURCES
- How desertification could be solved with grazing. (Allan Savory TED talk)
- St. Mary’s Creation Care web page
- Saul Griffith’s book Electrify argues we should save money, create local jobs, decrease pollution (and, oh yeah, thereby fight climate change). Steve finds this a very inspiring and hopeful book. See video summary, or Dec 2019 or Aug 2020 podcasts.
- Michael Mann’s book The New Climate War comes recommended by Norma.
- City of Monterey sea-level-rise adaptation plan, including report, City Council meeting discussing the report, and interactive maps; planning for sea wall or viaduct by 2030
- Climate Explorer’s projected temperatures for Monterey, etc.
- An Episcopal Vision for Creation Care, developed by the Presiding Bishop’s Office and leaders of the Advisory Council on Stewardship of Creation and in alignment with actions by the 79th General Convention of The Episcopal Church
- Liturgical Materials for Honoring God in Creation (report to the 78th General Convention, 2015)
- Season of Creation (South Africa 2008): Biodiversity; Land; Water; Climate Change; Need not Greed; Stewardship. A great resource. It has great liturgical suggestions and is very user-friendly. Though the facts in the fact sheets are out of date, they are still useful because they offer good suggestions for what to present and what questions to ask. (download) (buy)
- Pope Francis, On Care For Our Common Home Encyclical Letter: “LAUDATO SI’”
- Mary of the Cosmos, an icon of Theotokos Orans with the earth and cosmos in her heart where Christ usually appears. This icon is by Sister Bernadette Bostwick, Sisters of the Earth Community, Green Mountain Monastery (in the tradition of Thomas Berry). This monastery has a practice of Visio Divina. Here is a reflection on Mary of the Cosmos.
- On the Media, a discussion of how many news outlets have regarded climate change as political rather than scientific... and have not reported natural disasters as caused by climate change.