Full Time Teaching Artist
The Highwood Theatre Inc. - Silver Spring, MD
Full Time, Salaried Position
The Highwood Theatre is a non-profit organization dedicated to building community through innovative, inclusive theatre and arts programs at our home in downtown Silver Spring and in schools throughout the DC metropolitan area. www.thehighwoodtheatre.org.
The Highwood Theatre produces 13-14 professional and student mainstage productions annually, along with weekly improv comedy nights and other studio events, in addition to student classes, private lessons, summer camps, and extensive work in over 40 schools. Now in its 16th Season, Highwood’s physical plant includes two black box theatres, rehearsal spaces, technical theatre spaces, and offices in downtown Silver Spring.
The Teaching Artist is an integral part of our education programming - both in implementation and development, and should possess strong independent artistic, technical, and practical judgement.
- Teaching assigned classes and programs, which may include but are not limited to:
- Directing/choreographing a production
- Teaching a one-time workshop in any general theatrical area
- Teaching a weekly dance, acting, improv, or basic tech class
- Leading school field trips
- Teaching private lessons
- Developing curricula for assigned classes and programs for your own use or for use by other Highwood Teaching Artists
- Assisting in marketing-related tasks for educational programming, including helping to document programs occuring at Highwood or at schools.
Break Down of Time
- The Teaching Artist will work 40 hours per week, generally 9:30 - 5:30 PM. You are expected to keep these hours open/available, and will be in the office or on-site at a school during most of these hours.
- Certain classes/programs may take place after that time (i.e. in the evening or on a weekend). You will always have a choice whether to accept an after-hours program and, if you do, your hours will be adjusted accordingly to maintain a 40-hour work week.
- A typical day may look like:
- Morning program (i.e. a field trip; workshop at a school; or home school program)
- Mid-day marketing/curriculum development work
- Afternoon program (i.e. a school class, workshop, or rehearsal)
- Must be available from 9:30 - 5:30 on Mondays through Fridays.
- Must have reliable transportation across the DMV area.
- 1-2 years of classroom teaching experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of theatre including (but not limited to): strong acting/improv skills; basic dance skills; basic music skills; basic technical theatre knowledge
- Extremely strong organization and management skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to teach students and work in the field whenever necessary
- Ability to analyze, think critically, and work well under pressure
- A desire to help schools and students, a desire to educate others, and the ability to interact with different types of people
- Ability to adapt to change
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, delegate, and work under deadlines
- Ability to lead teams or students or other teams of Teaching Artists
- Appreciation for Highwood’s Mission and interest in the Organization
Job Type: Full time, salaried position