Thank you for your interest in joining Liberated Lens. Here is a summary of the full process to become a member:
- Read this document and decide if we sound like a good fit for you.
- Then, read the resource access document and decide if you agree to our stewardship terms.
- Then fill out this membership agreement, which gives us more information about you and your goals as a film/media-maker.
- You will then have a 1 month trial period. Get to know other members by working on projects, attending our general meetings, being active in the group, etc. At the end of one month, if there is a general consensus that we still haven’t gotten to know you very well, the trial period may be extended.
- At the end of the trial period, your membership is approved if you are vouched for by more than one current member, and not blocked by any member.
First off… realistic expectations
What Liberated Lens can do:
- Provide access to film equipment
- Provide access to computers and professional editing software
- Provide access to screening space
- Provide production templates for your projects
- Help with visibility for your projects
- Create opportunities to network and get feedback on your work
What Liberated Lens cannot do:
- Produce your project for you
- Do free videography for your event
- Store your footage for you
Responsibilities and benefits
- Free equipment access for passion projects
- Discounted equipment rental for paid gigs
- Receive Omni key card upon request
- Receive suite key if needed for editing access (more info on resource access document)
- Receive equipment cabinet key if needed for equipment checkout (more info on resource access document)
- Inclusion on the list-serv for LL-wide conversations and networking
- Inclusion on Trello board for reserving equipment and editing suite time
- Creating media with social and political relevance: interested in social justice, environmental action, education, minority rights, women’s rights. Any genre welcome.
- Pay monthly membership dues ($10-$30 sliding scale, no work-trades). Let us know if you are unable to pay dues for a certain period of time because of financial hardship or extended out-of-town travel (more than 1 month). Dues can be paid through the donation form on this website or in cash at a meeting.
- Volunteer for film nights
- Reciprocal promotion (share LL projects and events on social media, pass out flyers, invite friends, etc. We support each other’s work.)
- Contribute to cleaning if using editing suite
- Participate in Omni obligations if possible
If you anticipate that you will be unable to contribute to any of these items for specific reasons, or for a certain period of time, please communicate that to us and we’ll work out some other agreement.
Grounds for expulsion:
- Stealing, sleeping, personal storage, violence, threats, harassment. These behaviors may also result in you being banned from the Omni.
- Breach of political alignment (sexist/racist/prejudiced acts or comments)
- Not paying membership dues for 3 consecutive months
- Not contributing to film nights for 3 consecutive months
- Not contributing to the chore wheel as a suite-key-holding member for 3 consecutive turns
- Irresponsible use of equipment or space (negligence, not just accidents)
Revoked membership means having your Omni keycard disabled, your suite key and equipment key forfeited, your Trello access disabled, and removal from the Liberated Lens email list-serv. These actions will be taken automatically after the above timeframes, and may happen without prior notice to you. No one is responsible for nagging others to pay their dues or do their chores; being part of a collective means being responsible for yourself.
If these terms are agreeable to you so far, please proceed to read our resource access document.