Pack 227 Official Pinewood Derby Rules 2018
Each registered Cub Scout will be given an official Pinewood Derby kit and will be entered into the race. There is no entry fee for Cub Scouts to race in the Pinewood Derby. Due to the size of our pack, only registered Cub Scouts will be allowed to race in the Pinewood Derby.
- Build a new car using the Boy Scout kit provided
- Attend a build clinic, if possible, for help and use of tools
- Ensure it meets the size limits
- Maximum width: 2.75”
- Maximum length: 7”
- Maximum weight: NO MORE THAN 5 oz (but get as close as you can)
- Minimum width between wheels: 1.75”
- Minimum bottom clearance underneath the body: ⅜ inch
- Maximum height: 3”
- Use all 4 wheels
- Use dry lubricants on the axles
- Paint, decorate & name your car
- Add design items if you’d like, just make sure it fits the dimensions above!
- Use your imagination & be creative!
- Ensure your car is ready for weigh in and impound at the Pack Meeting on 3/22
- No liquid lubricants
- No springs or suspension for wheels
- Don’t build the car FOR your Cub Scout. Supervise and guide, but allow your Scout to be the primary builder.
- Don’t modify the axle slots. Axles may be polished but not modified in any way.
- No aftermarket wheels or axles allowed
- Don’t modify the wheel treads in any way. Wheels may be lightly sanded, polished or finished with graphite.
- No propulsion of any kind. Cars must be powered by gravity only!