Published using Google Docs
ADC-IARPC Semantics WG 2020-05-19

ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2020-05-19 19:00 UTC (01:00 PM MDT and 20:00 CEST)

Where

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.

Monthly: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/meeting/tJMucuihqjMiG9xJuXDxWIca0NQrRrv3kENE/ics?icsToken=98tyKuCvrT4rE9CduBiPRowEA4_4d_PwiFxHjfpFtgrdJzhkSwD3ZsxzIIBtBovb

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/97351948818

Meeting ID: 973 5194 8818

Password: 169510

One tap mobile

+13462487799,,97351948818# US (Houston)

+16699006833,,97351948818# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location

            +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

            +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

            +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

            +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

            +1 253 215 8782 US

            +1 301 715 8592 US

Meeting ID: 973 5194 8818

Find your local number: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/u/aeih4mbzSw

Join by SIP

97351948818@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

221.122.88.195 (China)

115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)

115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)

213.19.144.110 (EMEA)

103.122.166.55 (Australia)

209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong

 China)

64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

69.174.57.160 (Canada)

207.226.132.110 (Japan)

Meeting ID: 973 5194 8818

Password: 169510

Minutes

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Mark Schildhauer, Allison Gaylord, William Manley, Ruth Duerr, Peter Pulsifer, Pier
  2. Regrets: Øystein
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2020-04-21
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of action items
  1. Ruth/PIP to send an email out to repository reps re verifying their content for the Polar Semantics Planning Matrix (see below)
  1. This task will be postponed until the revised matrix is available. Then relevant records are sent to the respective “owners”. Keeping task for now.
  1. Allison, Bill, Ruth, and Øystein to review structure of the matrix of harvesting relationships. The structure is to be discussed in email with the whole group.
  1. Ruth to send a Doodle poll or equivalent to set this up
  1. Ruth to explore a data paper on the Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire with support from Pier Luigi, Mark and Øystein.
  1. Ruth - Doodle poll to the group to get this going…
  2. Pip has made recommendations for splitting out draft
  3. link to responses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1623mpRjWQcIIDY_zWp_cBOCpFEaADhs4GwoJOMHS-gg/edit#gid=2003460971
  4. Mark S. to review questionnaire and responses and perhaps add more
  1. Polar Semantics Planning Matrix updates
  1. The matrix is available at Matrix of metadata harvesting relationships
  1. Ruth proposed we use views and share views to get others to review their records by sending links via email.
  2. ~80 contributors, Pip volunteered to send out to contributors
  1. The matrix and other materials from this family of meetings are being documented in these two papers:
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Harvesting Portion
  1. Peter and Ruth to plan finishing paper (after April 1st). Planned for Data Science Journal.
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Recommendations Portion
  1. Ruth to finish recommendations section of the white paper,
  1. Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire.
  1. Nothing further (see actions)
  1. Linking MOSAiC parameter terminology to Polar Semantics resources (Pier)
  1. Details are in previous meeting notes.
  1. Schema.org updates (Ruth)
  1. Details are in previous meeting notes.
  2. ESIP (https://www.esipfed.org/meeting-news/summer2020) in mid-July is scheduled to have several work sessions focused on Advancing Science on Schema.org on July 14, 15
  1. Status on modelling/visualisation of the harvesting matrix
  1. Brendan has generated a simple prototype visualization - not production ready but available here 
  1. This site require login credentials (information provided upon request)
  1. Details are in previous meeting notes.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Bimonthly hackathon to support POLDAR semantics, Schema.org, POAwg activities, etc.?  Needs branding consideration. Joint activity through several organizations.  May initiate June 30 or July 1?  (Peter)
  2. Rebecca Ingram making progress in CCADDI, could make a presentation in a couple months. (Peter)
  3. Polar Observing Assets working group (POAwg).  Core group meeting to scope and verify tasks. Website draft in progress, not fully vetted. Gearing up for first meeting.  Sign up form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedfWN9y8_--2d88cR2HX3k7uHmqz1_cAtI9AqUd2AV65NoNA/viewform?usp=sf_link   Awareness building to develop recommendations specifically for obs assets, high order discovery level details. Machine readable access points using standardized metadata lacking. (Bill)  
  1. Will POAwg really lead to greater convergence of efforts?  Effort needs to inform the polar observing community.  Look to Schema.org and their effort to describe datasets and data repositories as a start.  Earthcube “GeoLink” did consider observing sites moved forward through 418, 419 and resource catalog. Review Geolink ontology for classes, types of obs assets, etc.  many generic roles for people, etc. modelled.  http://schema.geolink.org/1.0/base/main.html (Mark S.)
  2. Also, review Resource Catalog http://cor.esipfed.org/ and http://cor.esipfed.org/ont#/ and

https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org (Ruth)

  1. Generate Schema.org for observing assets from a spreadsheet?  (Ruth)
  2. iADOPT still developing use cases and questionnaires, reviewing models, some established standards (Mark. S.)
  3. GeoCODES form to generate Schema.org  See. https://earthcube.org/webapps/geocodes/registration/ or more specifically https://earthcube.org/webapps/geocodes/registration/ui/?action=new&set=dataset  (Ruth)
  1. Mark notes that the next science on schema.org meeting he and Kai Blumberg will be talking about harmonizing measurements and 28th at 11:30 PDT
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 19:00 UTC (21:00 CEST, 15:00 EDT, 13:00 MDT).
  1. Tentative date for the next meeting is Tuesday 16th June.
  1. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.