Pure Bhakti Audio Seva
Sound Engineer Guidelines
After the Track Editor (TE) prepares the sound file by trimming the unnecessary parts, it is forwarded to the Sound Engineer (SE). SE is expert at advanced sound editing softwares like iZotope RX. He is expected to improve the overall audibility of the sound file by enhancing Srila Gurudeva’s voice, while reducing background noise, wind, echo and similar factors. The SE will work together with the Quality Check devotee (QC) to finalise the sound quality.
SE will receive the following from the coordinator:
- A link to a google spreadsheet – ‘SE Doc’ - with links to the original files to be cleaned.
- A Google-drive link where the output file is to be uploaded
SE is not expected to hear the file from end to end, but must hear the file at least at 5-7 different places to ensure the output is consistent throughout.
Please see the SE Doc template here:
The SE Doc is a Google spreadsheet where all the coordination and feedback on the sound engineering tasks will be done. It has 2 sheets -
SHEET 1: SE’s Tasks
- This sheet gives an overview of the status of the tasks allotted to SE. The rows will be colored in various colors as follows to indicate the status, which is mentioned in Column F (Status) as Given/ WIP/ Done:
- Beige color highlights tasks which have a feedback on the last submitted version, thus ready for further processing by SE.
- Pink color highlights tasks that have a version awaiting for the feedback from QC.
- Green denotes Done tasks.
- Blue denotes tasks without any submission yet from the SE.
- Column G (Task ID) - The original file is named after this ID, and the cleaned audio file also should be named after this, please refer details for Column E (Next Version Name) below.
- Column H (Original File Link) contains the link for the original file to be downloaded and cleaned by SE.
- Column L (TE’s comments for SE) contains information of timings in the sound file which need special attention from SE while cleaning the file.
- SE can leave any comments for QC or coordinator in Column M (SE's Comments).
- Column E (Next Version Name) suggests the name to be given to the next version which will be submitted by SE. Please use this naming system to name the output file each time you submit (more details below).
- Once the cleaned file is finalized by QC, the name of the finalized version will automatically reflect in Column N (Finalised File Name).
- Please note that newer tasks will be added to this sheet intermittently.
SHEET 2: SE’s Uploads
All the coordination of feedback with the QC will take place in this sheet. Each time a new version is uploaded, it will reflect in this sheet automatically within an hour.
- The files are named as “Task ID”+ dot + version number. So the first edited version will be named as TaskID.v1. Also, if for a particular round, multiple variations are submitted, they will be named as v2, v3 etc in a sequential order. SE may also add a description after the version number. For e.g, below are some valid file names:
- ML1-101-1.v2 (bass 100 cut)
- ML1-101-1.v3 (more is less)
- At all times, the file name suggestion for the next submission by SE will be indicated in the Tasks sheet (Column E).
- If the uploaded file does not follow this naming scheme, the file will not be processed by the QC, and SE will receive an email notification of this.
Once the output file is ready, it is to be uploaded to the Google drive folder provided.
After the file is uploaded on the google drive by SE, a row will automatically be added to the sheet with all the columns filled except Columns G, H, I (QC feedback) and Column K (SE comments).
Each version (v1, v2, etc) submitted will be listed on a separate row here and feedback will be provided by QC in Column H (QC Feedback). Please always increase the version number as only one file with a particular version number will be processed. If you want to provide several variations, please upload them as several versions (v1, v2, etc). In other words, do not submit two files with the same version number.
Please refer the Column G (Resolution) for the way forward. It will indicate two statuses –
- Final: When QC provides final approval for the sound quality
- Revise: When QC provides feedback for further revisions by SE
The rows will be colored in various colors as follows to indicate the status of that version:
- Pink color highlights rows awaiting for the feedback from QC.
- Green denotes rows with finalized versions.
SE can also leave his comments about a particular version in Column K (SE Comments).