Music Parents Support Group
Thursday June 5, 2018 –
Present: Gord Aitken, Elizabeth Bryce, Craig Cudmore, Leah Cudmore, Linda Cudmore, Natalie Daynkea, Marie-Christine Ferraud, Sadie Graves, Joanne Harvey, Annegret Hayward, Kim Kimbell, Peter Kimbell, David Leech, Lorraine McCormack, Heather Monkman, Clare Pelley, Gina Robinson, Leilani Schaefer, Jason Sinkus, Natalie Waldorf.
Regrets: Bobbiann Geller, Karen Lawford, Diana Hampson-Wilson.
- The Minutes of the May 10th meeting were approved as corrected.
Motion: Moved by Linda, seconded by Clare, Carried.
- Student Update: (Leah, Sadie)
- Memory Book will be ready for deadline June 6, some last minute changes and details. Allan Tough will turn it into PDF, once Cadenza photos are added from Sunday. The books will be ready before school finishes.
- No more socials, but there are lawn concerts coming up.
- MPSG offered their thanks for the 6 baskets given by students for the Silent Auction. The baskets earned around $500.00 total and were much appreciated.
- Music Department: (Jason)
- One behalf of MPSG Linda offered a big thanks to the staff for all they did to create such a wonderful music night – the collaboration between classes, disciplines was awesome and the pit orchestra worked very hard.
- Cadenza June 10 – new coordination from Chateau Laurier, but hope all goes smoothly. Doors open at 8:30 am, performances begin at 9:00 am.
- June 13 (winds), June 14 (vocal) at noon, there will be lawn concerts – in lobby if there is rain.
- Friday, June 15 Banquet at the RA Centre at 5:30 pm
- Jazz festival June 23 at 2:00 pm at City Hall for Senior Jazz ensemble
- Grad Act from Friday music night will be reprised at graduation June 29.
- November 21-24 – 2018-9 Musical featuring Mamma Mia, with auditions beginning Sat June 9, Monday June 11.
- Student Elections – new co-heads are from winds (Sarah) and strings (Sador.)
- Tux and Dress returns: (Natalie W and Lorraine)
- Next week June 13 and 14 (9:30-11:30 am) for everyone except Chamber – will need 5-6 volunteers – email to go out to parents.
- Dresses to be washed and hung to dry before return.
- Tuxes will be identified, if students are returning.
- Treasurer’s Report: (David)
- May statement bottom line is action $6100.00 but some $5300.00 is committed to Wish List items (including vocal retreat)
- Totals for Music Night will be in next Financial Statement, bolstering the balance.
- Cheques versus etransfers for student account reimbursements. A lost cheque “held” costs $12.00, while etransfers are only .45. Cheques require 2 signatures, etransfers would require a change of paperwork and another signature on the requisition. If the requisition came by email it would reduce the chance of sending to wrong email address.
MOTION: It was moved by Heather and seconded by Joanne, that we try issuing student account reimbursements by etransfer. Carried.
- In the discussion at an earlier meeting, it was confirmed that payment of $841.43 be paid to the RA from MPSG for the grade 11 recital lunch.
- Next year we will need a motion to pay for 2019 Cadenza from general funds, as they will not have a specific fundraising account/line.
- Music Night Fundraising:
- Very smooth process
- $17,472 online and about $800 at the door
- Friday was sold out, some tickets purchased came back if not being used.
- About 40 grade 8 students attended in preparation for next year (they received free tickets but many parents bought tickets.)
- Craig raise the possibility of purchasing a “square” for about $59.00, to be used with phone or tablet for interac purchases at the door, or silent auction. The 10 cent transaction fee could be charged to the purchaser.
MOTION: It was moved by David and seconded by Gord, that we move ahead with purchasing a “square” for the 2018-2019 year concerts and fundraising; and that there be a 10 cent charge to the purchaser for the transaction. Carried.
SILENT AUCTION: (Annegret)
- Set up needs to be earlier, perhaps bring another volunteer on board to help specifically with this,
- Total so far: $2425.00 – some payments still outstanding.
- Student baskets did well and should be thanked.
MEMORY BOOK AND FLOWERS SALES:
- Totals for books not finished yet; but flowers had a profit of $319.48, bringing Cadenza total to around $5300.25.
- Possibly use online sales for Memory Book as well as DVD next year?
FANS: Some groups sell fans for events in warm seasons (ie. Tartan homes) Could we find someone/a business to sponsor fan sales at Spring music night 2019? Natalie D will do some research for next year.
It was suggested that speakers, like the CACDA rep be listed in the program, so that even if they are not picked up by microphone, the audience will know who they are.
Also suggested that the Grad Act be listed in Friday program so that audience doesn’t start leaving after last performance listed.
- Fundscrip Update: $4878.00 total profit to date – ensure we promote how it contributes to student accounts for maximum fundraising.
- Social Media – don’t forget to like posts on Facebook.
- WebSite – changes suggested last month have been made. Volunteer recruitment will link to emails for MC, Linda, Gord. Sign up for Mail Chimp will appear under “Parents” and “Communication”.
- Communication for 2018-2019 – Agenda pick up will be August 28, can add letter to Grade 9 music students packages with information about Music Parent info night, fundraisers and student accounts, as well as volunteer opportunities.
- New Business:
- New volunteer positions – one email has gone and another will be sent soon.
- Thanks you BBQ for MPSG June 20 at 5:30.
- OCDSB has awarded Clare the volunteer award for the Advisory Committee for the Arts (Secondary Schools).
NEXT MEETING: Thursday September 6th at 7:00 pm in the Music Room.
Date for Music Parent Information Night (including AGM) is to be determined.
The meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.