Job Title: Kennel Assistant
Reports to: Technical Team Supervisor & Practice Manager
Requirements: 16 years old or older, pursuing a High School diploma or equivalent
Summary of position:
A kennel assistant helps maintain the clinic by providing daily cleaning and decluttering tasks. They may also provide care, feeding and exercise of boarding and hospitalized pets. A kennel assistant is expected to help other staff members in whatever way they are adequately trained to do so. A kennel assistant must pay close attention to details, understand and follow proper feeding and sanitation procedures and monitor boarding and hospitalized pets.
- Maintenance and Sanitation Duties
- Assist in end of day cleaning, including sweeping, mopping, cleaning of exam tables, cleaning of kennels, treatment, and surgical areas, and anywhere else cleaning is needed
- Complete laundry as necessary
- Help restock rooms, treatment areas, surgical areas, shelves, etc, as needed and as directed by another staff member
- Perform “poop patrol” around the building as necessary. Ensure that when in view of a client, proper dress code is maintained. This includes closed toed shoes since there may be interactions with animals, and a mask if they are in view of a client during COVID protocols.
- Maintain cleanliness of all kennel areas
- Clean and disinfect cages, runs and yard as needed, using hoses and spray bottles of disinfectant. Use a squeegee to remove excess water.
- Clean cat litter boxes and disinfect kitty condos
- Clean and disinfect all food and water bowls
- Remove soiled bedding and take it to the laundry area
- Place clean bedding in runs if deemed medically appropriate and instructed by a medical team member to do so
- Walk dogs, clean litter boxes for cats, general patient care as needed and as qualified/trained to do
- Report abnormal patient activity to a medical team member as appropriate. Patients that seem like they are in distress, or seeing vomit, diarrhea, or blood in the cage or run are examples of things that should be brought to the attention of a medical team member.
- Give food and water to boarding animals if deemed medically appropriate and instructed to do so by a medical team member
- Wear personal protective equipment required for the area and maintain the personal protective equipment in good working order. Personal protective equipment includes goggles or face shields, aprons, full body aprons, gloves, boots and booties or other equipment assigned.
- Give baths to animals that quality for a bath before they go home if medically appropriate, instructed by a staff member to do so, and is appropriately trained in bathing and animal handling.
- Collect fecal or urine samples as instructed by a staff member if trained appropriately in doing so
- Understand infectious diseases and how to control and prevent their spread
- General duties/skills needed
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds; ability to lift items over 50 pounds with assistance
- Endure sitting, standing and walking on hard floor surfaces for extended periods
- Able to work in noisy work conditions with sounds from animals and equipment
- Take safety precautions for exposure to toxins, drugs, anesthesia and radiation
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Continuing Education duties
- Kennel assistants are not required to attend staff members unless instructed otherwise by management
- Completes continuing education as assigned by management
- Other duties may be added as Management sees fit. These will be communicated to you if added.
Kennel assistants report to the Technical Team Supervisor and Practice Manager.
I acknowledge that I have read this job description and agree that I am capable of performing all of the above mentioned job duties. I understand whom I report to and my objectives. I attest to the fact that I possess the attributes listed above which are necessary to fulfill the requirements of my position.
Employee Signature Date
Practice Manager Signature