P.O. Box 866 | Athens, AL 35612 | 256-444-1300 | firstname.lastname@example.org
10 Demands for All Police Departments
- Create a Citizens Review Board, Police Trial Board, or Accountability Review Board for the public to have permanent presence/seats and have subpoena power.
- Release all body camera, citizens, and business camera footage; and 911 call audio to the public.
- Immediately release the names of all officers, supervisors involved in all shootings.
- Release and/or create Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)s: a. To de-escalate conflict with person with weapon present and/or drawn b. To clarify the “Shoot to Kill” or “Shoot to Injure” decisions c. To remove corrupt officers d. To de-escalate conflict of excessive force situations e. To provide medical attention for shot or injured suspects f. To test officers in shooting for alcohol and chemical substance
- Every minority shooting requires an elevated level of investigation within the city, county, state, national law enforcement.
- Increase the use of special prosecutors when potential hate crimes are present.
- Implement implicit bias training for interacting with persons of color to include racial sensitivity, diversity training, and de-escalation strategies.
- Enhance the collection of data on fatalities involving police officers.
- Discourage so-called “citizen’s arrest” or escalating or confronting acts within the community.
- Interact and team up with the NAACP and other organizations that promote public safety and good citizenship of the public.