On Site Events DURING THE EXPO
The following events are just a sample of what will take place during the expo and require no advance preparation.
- 3D Design
- Pringles ring
- Puff mobile
- STEM Minute to Win it
- Air Cannon
- Tech Jeopardy
Event Choices to be completed BEFORE THE EXPO
The following events require construction to be completed before the expo and brought on that day. Event descriptions are available beginning on page two. These events are all about using the design process to brainstorm, design, build, test, redesign, try again, etc.
- Water tower
- Shoe design
- Basketball goal
- Stop motion animation
- Cardboard petting zoo
- Water drop challenge
Event Descriptions for Expo Event Choices to be completed BEFORE THE EXPO
Basketball Goal and Free Throw Shooter
Objective- Design and build a standing basketball goal that will allow a ping pong ball to pass through the hoop and then create a device that will shoot the ball.
- The permitted materials are 1 3x4” piece of cardboard, 1 pipe cleaner, piece of 10x10” netting (nylon net fabric), 12 craft sticks, 6” dowel stick in ⅜” diameter, masking tape, straws,1 cardboard tube, 3-4 rubber bands, 1 small 2 ounce cup, ping pong ball, extra cardboard pieces as needed
- Competition will entail making the most baskets in a certain time frame
- Bottom of the backboard on the basketball goal must be 6-8 inches from the tabletop
- The hop and net must allow the ball to pass through easily
- Basketball goals can be attached to the table
- Throwing device must rest on the table and propel the ball
Objective- Design a model water tower that will sit on a roof and collect rainwater
- The permitted materials are 100 index cards, duct table and masking tape, ruler and scissors
- Towers must be at least a foot tall (not including the container)
- Towers will be judged on their ability to hold the most amount of water for at least 10 seconds
Objective- Design a pair of shoes to be worn around an obstacle course
- The permitted materials are cardboard, construction paper, foam core board, tape, glue, yarn/string, markers. Stickers/beads/ribbon optional.
- Shoes must be a matching pair and must stay on their feet during the obstacle course.
Objective- Design and build a statue skier that can stand up on skis.
- The permitted materials include 2 jumbo craft sticks (0.75x6”), 12-14” of heavy duty aluminum foil and tape
- Skiers will be judged on speed down a wooden slope with wax paper on it
Cardboard Petting Zoo
Objective- Build an animal out of cardboard that has at least two moving parts
- Permitted materials include cardboard, tape, glue, googly eyes, construction paper, markers, scissors, paper fasteners,
- Animal must include head and body and must stand on its own
- Animal should be approximately 12x12”
Water Drop Challenge
Objective- Invent a device that will spill as little water as possible when you drop it
- Materials permitted include 1 3oz cup, manila folder, paper, shipping tape, 4 paper clips, 2 pipe cleaners, 2 rubber bands, 1 trash bag, 1 trash bag twist tie, 4 straws, 15 mini stirrers, 6ft of string
- Device can be below or above the cup
- Cup must be part of the device
- The device, including the cup), can be no longer than 2 feet from top to bottom
- The cup can be modified, but must hold 20 ml of water
Stop Motion Animation
Objective - Create a stop-motion video depicting a mathematical, scientific, or engineering concept. Be creative!
- This event requires submissions to be brought to the expo on a flash drive
- Put flash drive in a bag with students name and school on it
- Must be students' original work
- Feel free to use any stop motion app, web tool or software that you are most comfortable with