Announcing the 9th International Piano Quartet Composition Competition and Residency
Founded in 1973, Garth Newel Music Center (www.garthnewel.org) is one of the most active chamber music organizations in the country. Its resident ensemble—the Garth Newel Piano Quartet—performs over 60 concerts annually both at the Center and on tour. Through this competition, the Quartet seeks to broaden the piano quartet repertoire and to support the Center’s ongoing commitment to contemporary music.
2018 - Balázs Kecskés D., Hungary
2015 - Polina Nazaykinskaya; Russia
2013 - Paolo Boggio; Italy
2012 - Alberto E. Colla; Italy
2011 - Ivan Bozicevic; Croatia
The Winner will receive:
• A $3000 cash prize
• A performance of the winning work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet on the 2020 Summer Music Festival in July, 2020
• A travel stipend of up to $1000 to travel to Garth Newel Music Center to work with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet and attend the premiere.
• A high-quality audio and video recording
• Frequent performances of the winning work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet, and an eventual studio recording for public release by the Quartet.
• The winner will also have the opportunity to participate in a short-term residency during the week of the premiere. The residency will take place during Garth Newel’s prestigious Emerging Artist Fellowship chamber music program.
- The winner will have the opportunity to work closely with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet and our Emerging Artist Fellows, with the possibility of readings and performances of additional chamber works by the composer.
- Collaborate and network with talented musicians from the top music schools.
- Submitted works must be for violin, viola, cello and piano. Piano trios and quintets are not accepted.
- There is no time limit for works.
- Submissions from any composer, regardless of age or citizenship, are welcome.
- The work must be originally conceived as a piano quartet. Arrangements of previously completed works that have been performed or published are not acceptable
Refer to our FAQ for more clarification
A Composition is ineligible if:
- it requires live electronics or cannot be performed with just stereo playback
- the work has already received a professional premiere.
- it is a transcription or arrangement of another work that has been performed or published.
- it has already been professionally recorded for commercial CD release;
- the work, in any instrumentation, has already been published.
Refer to our FAQ for more clarification
For physical submission, each composer must submit:
- A legible score and string parts (no piano-only part is necessary) of professional quality labeled with a pseudonym. No marks identifying the composer may appear anywhere on the score. The title of the work is permissible.
- An envelope labeled with the composer’s pseudonym. Information within the envelope should include the composer’s name, address, telephone number, email address and one-paragraph biography.
- A digital recording of the work labeled with the composer’s pseudonym (CDs or flash drives are acceptable). MIDI realizations are acceptable.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope of appropriate size if the composer wishes to have their materials returned.
All materials should be mailed to:
Garth Newel Music Center
403 Garth Newel Lane
Hot Springs, VA 24445
For electronic submission:
- Email the score, instrumental parts, and audio file under a pseudonym to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the composer's info in a pdf/word document labeled “do not open until after the results are determined”.
- Recordings that are too big can be sent via Dropbox or google drive. Please label the titles of digital tracks with the composition name as well as the composer’s pseudonym.
All materials must be received by November 1, 2019. Applicants will be notified of the result by e-mail no later than January 31, 2020.
For further information or questions, please call Garth Newel Music Center at 540-839-5018 or email email@example.com.