Location : Office Space near Erin Mills Mall in Mississauga + Flexible
Setting the Stage
Over the past several months, hundreds of students have signed up for Helping Hands’ services. Your role will be creating designs that the organization will use for web and print media. You will create layouts and graphic images for a website, blog and app. You will also create designs for information sheets, media statements and other print materials. This is a position where you can take charge and help shape a young organization. It will be a mix of remote/office. We are looking for a versatile designer with great creativity.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Design digital graphics to be used for promotion in social media.
- Design features for user interface for a platform that matches youth to volunteer positions in the community used by various marginalized populations - newcomer and refugee youth, youth who have not previously been employed and for whom this would be their first job experience, Youth with Disabilities, Youth who have not completed high School, Visible minorities and LGBTQ2 youth.
- Design information sheets to be used in person and online promotion to other organizations, schools, students and parents.
- Design media kit for use for future campaigns and promotions.
- Work on a redesign for static website and blog to make the look and feel more cohesive
- Able to design eye-catching designs.
- Able to use software to design print and online media.
- Knowledge of Web development for platform and website.
- Able to create a design with a cohesive theme across multiple mediums.
- Understanding of colour palettes and blending.
- Able to create a media kit for campaigns and promotions for the organization.
Learning/ Career Development Opportunities
Student will have the opportunity to take the lead on creating techniques to reach out to youth, help them navigate the system and more. This is well suited for students in programs such as but not limited to Graphic Designer, Social Media Management, Web Design.
We aim to be inclusive of all fields that this job can be suitable for.
This job is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, therefore the requirements are:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
Max 9 weeks
40 hours/ week at $15/ hour plus vacation pay.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume by email to:
Attention of Janelle Hinds, Program Coordinator
Title: Applying for Position of Front End/Graphics Designer
What is Helping Hands?
Helping Hands is on a mission to increase youth community engagement through building technology and in-person activities.
Helping Hands is a platform that matches students with volunteer organizations using a skill development based matching model. It provides students with a way to gain employable skills such as communication skills.
Helping Hands consists of three main, interconnected features: volunteer matching, tracking, and feedback
Through In-Person Activities
Our initiative will provide education, equipping young people with cognitive skills that support active engagement and foster a sense of civic responsibility.
We offer several services:
- Workshops on the importance of volunteering & improving communication skills
- Matching services to community organizations
- Blogging initiative which provides educational resources, showcases youth and their volunteer activities
- Awareness of initiatives youth can apply to and support for the application process like Minister's Student Advisory Council, Premier Council on Youth Opportunities and SpeakUp grants.
- Community Volunteer Fair
- Youth Advisory Committee
- Voter Engagement and assistance in engaging local politicians
For more information: helpinghandsapp.com