Write copy that sells. Even if you’re a terrible writer.
This is the 10-step blueprint I use to write email, landing page and blog copy that generates $millions in revenue.
You can improve your copy (and conversion rates) instantly by duplicating this document and filling in the blanks to create your piece of copywriting.
For an audio description of how to do each step properly, click here.
To level up every aspect of your sales game and learn how to create a profitable business with customers who love to pay for your product, click here.
Define your audience
- Be specific
- Who are you writing this copy for?
Define and align value
- What value will your audience get from reading this copy?
- What value do you get from your audience reading this copy?
- Are they aligned? Great copy is a win-win situation.
Value for customer:
Value for you:
What action do you want your audience to take?
- Why are you writing this copy? What action do you want to nudge the reader into taking?
- Ideally there is one clear action
- It should be related to the value you’re providing your audience with
- Make sure to include this call-to-action in your piece of copywriting!
- Why might your audience not be ready to take the action you defined in the step above?
- Listen to your audience and the words they use to describe their pain and objections.
- Come up with solutions to those objections and include them in your copywriting pre-emptively
Plan your copy using Pain-Dream-Fix
- To write really engaging copy that converts big time, break your content into three sections…
- First, make the reader brutally aware of the pain you’re going to help them solve
- Secondly, show them the promised land… the dream of how much better their life will be once that pain is solved
- Finally, show them the fix… how you’re going to solve their pain and help them reach their dream
- Plan out your content in bullet points, using this framework…
Write your first draft...
- Expand your bullet points from Step 5 into real copy
- Don’t worry about styling yet
- Make sure you include the CTA and objection handling from the first steps
- Make sure you’re aligning value and nailing the value for you and the audience
Write (or copy and paste) your first draft here...
Make your first edit...
- Cut out any fluff
- Add in sub-headings/sections for longer copy
- Add styling and emphasis → bold, italics, lists, emojis etc…
- When you’re done, copy and paste your content into the free Hemingway tool
- Follow their suggestions to make your copy more legible, easier to understand and more active
- Try to write more like you’d speak
Write (or copy and paste) your second draft here...
Make a cup of tea...
- Wait at least a few hours
- Ideally 1-2 days
- You’ll come back with a fresh pair of eyes and notice mistakes/improvements you otherwise would never have seen
- Take that time to do other work, or check out the amazing Sales For Founders course, where you’ll learn how to grow your own profitable product business in 9 weeks 😉
- Then go to next step...
Make a final edit...
- Make sure you’re using active “you” language, eg…
- Don’t say: “This course teaches you how to grow a profitable business”
- Do say: “You’ll learn how to grow a profitable business in this course”
- Make sure the copy flows so your reader doesn’t lose interest. Do this by…
- Using sub-headers/sections
- Using lists
- Using connecting words to start paragraphs/sentences, and ‘...’
- Focus on the reader’s dream, not your product/features. The reader wants the result of what you’re selling them, not what you’re selling them itself
Write (or copy and paste) your final draft here...
Publish, track and tweak...
- Publish (or send) your copy…
- Track how it performs…
- Adapt parts of the copy as you receive feedback, learn more about the audience/their objections and just generally improve as a writer and learn more about the subject
- Don’t be scared of feedback!
List of feedback/improvements you want to make/objections you want to add...
🎁 Bonus step...
- A great way to instantly boost conversions is to include a bonus step, extra tip/hint, (or a PS if it’s an email)
- People love the feeling of getting extra value
- So they pay crazy attention to highlighted bonus steps and PSs at the bottom of emails
- Use that to your advantage → include your CTA in the bonus step...
- This is just one of many actionable, 💰💰💰-generating tips you’ll learn in the Sales For Founders course
- Another great conversion booster is to create urgency…
- Did I mention that you’ll get an exclusive earlybird discount on the Sales For Founders course if you sign up before this Sunday, for example?
Your bonus/freebie/PS/extra tip...
That’s all you need to know to write great copy that converts!
The rest is just…
- Listening to and understanding your audience
- Practicing some more!
Have a question or want me to look over a piece of copy you’ve written and provide actionable feedback?
📩 Shoot me an email
Or find me on Twitter @louisnicholls_