Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York (PLS) is a statewide program providing civil legal services to people incarcerated in New York State prisons with regional offices in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca and Plattsburgh.
PLS is seeking to hire a staff attorney with some immigration experience to provide representation to immigrants facing removal while in the custody of NYS’ Department of Corrections and Community Supervision. The staff attorney will provide a full range of legal services throughout the course of representation, including meeting with incarcerated clients, appearing at master calendar and merits hearings, appealing to the Bureau of Immigration Appeals (BIA), and providing other services related to incarceration. The successful applicant will also assist in preparing materials to help immigrants appear pro se, supervise law students, and conduct trainings for pro bono attorneys working with PLS.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
· JD degree and bar admission in good standing in New York State.
· Experience in immigration law, specifically removal defense, which can include clinical or internships.
· Demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights and social justice issues.
· Ability to work in a respectful, non-judgmental manner.
· Exceptional organization, written and oral communication skills; ability to timely respond to and balance numerous requests for assistance.
· Fluency in Spanish.
· Clean and valid New York State driver’s license.
· Willingness and ability to travel.
In addition, experience in the area of prisoners’ rights is preferred.
PLS offers a salary that is competitive with other public interest law firms in the area which will be set depending on experience. PLS also offers a generous benefits package and excellent working conditions. We encourage people of color, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and at least three (3) references by mail or email to: Patricia Kane, Prisoners’ Legal Services of NY, 41 State St., Suite M112, Albany, NY 12207 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Due to the volume of applications expected, PLS cannot respond to each one.