EPICS V4 Telecon 19-July-2016

Earlier                                                                                Later

Agenda

  1. Progress on AIs
  2. Status Reports
  3. Planning for SNS Meeting
  4. AOB

Minutes

Chair: AJ

Present: AJ, DH, MK, MS

Minutes: AJ

1. Table of AIs

No

Action

Assignee

Target Date

Status

2

See who can fund dbGroup/Qsrv going on

GW

assigned

6

Update your module to include copy of that one LICENSE. Update your headers to contain the header text.

ALL MODULE OWNERS

31-Jul-2016

assigned

7

On your module pages, remove the current/previous links; replace “Working Draft” with version number of module, which has its own numbering scheme, like 5.0.2 for pvDataCPP. Eg “Version 5.0.2 18/Nov/2015”

AJ check status, ALL MODULE OWNERS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

7a

For masarService

GS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

7b

For pvAccessJava

MS

5-Mar-2016

done

7c

For pvCommonCPP

MS

5-Mar-2016

done

10

Simplify Literature page and home page to help users find novice oriented documentation.

GW

assigned

16

Commit changes to all modules, other than exampleCPP and pvDatabaseCPP, which set the shared library versions

MD

assigned

17

Monitor changes pull request (AI from meeting 15-Mar-2016, http://tinyurl.com/zqa3qyp

MD

5-Apr-2016

assigned

MS: Marked 7b and 7c as done.

AJ: Question about the masarService module.

Conclusion of the meeting is that it’s not bundled, so we don’t really care about its status.

MS: Don’t think it has been updated to the last V4 release anyway.

MK: Asked about #6.

AJ: This was about replacing the LICENSE file with the new one, present in the website under mainPage/LICENSE.txt (rename it to LICENSE for the module). Also we should update the text at the top of many source files which mentions the COPYRIGHT file that we are also deleting, but updating this text will be a pain.

2. Status Reports

AJ: pvCommonCPP ready except for branch and tag.

DH: pvDataJava changes done, (auxInfo). Nothing for normativeTypes. Would be nice to get the 2 pvAccess and pvaSrv changes that have pull requests in for, as discussed at ESS meeting; these are the final changes to ensure unity between caprovider and pvaSrv. Not sure about format string %d vs. %f. Agreed with Ralph about some changes.

MS: Just read the comments, reasoning good so will merge these.

DH: Format for unsigned types is unclear, possible issue with Java not supporting unsigned. Our code hasn’t changed in 4.5 years.

MK: No magic there, Java will probably have a bit of a cludge. Mixing Java and C++ could be a problem.

MS: Java 8 hasn’t added %u yet, although it probably will.

DH: The server returns this string to the client. The client just has to handle this.

MS: Java 8 added method to print integer as unsigned, but they didn’t go all the way.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/Integer.html#toUnsignedString-int-

DH: Want to get the issue of handling signed integers finished. Want the java client to have to handle %u.

MS, MK: Agree.

AJ: OK go ahead.

DH: Ralph’s responsibility to merge the pull request, since it’s in pvaSrv.

MS: Nothing left, just need to branch.

AJ: Reminder that the Jenkins cloudbees build script has branch names in it, make these changes after branching (related to upstream modules IIRC).

MK: pvDatabase, pvaClient and example work; Discussions ongoing over API: some issues with support for timeouts. Some fixes aren’t essential (related to combinations of servers, clients and local connections) and won’t be provided for this release, will be documented. Will be ready for -pre1 next week.

3. Planning for SNS Meeting

AJ: Asked about features we might want to develop for the next release.

MS: Multicast feature (smart unicast) that has been sitting unused/untested in github. Originally for sending images. No real use-case yet though. Lightweight useful for monitoring. Java working, needs to be tested and integrated.

AJ: Presumably would need someone to fund it.

DH: Mostly got what we need in 4.6. Working on Python, trying to build high-level IOCs using Python. May produce some stuff that we’d want to add. Making local changes to pvaPy. Factor-out ability to share connections and monitors across the wire, using the gateway is a possibility.

AJ: Maybe consider possibility of adding an alternative local transport instead of local TCP if using something like Unix sockets might have a performance advantage.

AJ: Want to start planning for combining V3 and V4.

MK: Not planning to put everything into one repo are we?

AJ: No, we might even split Base into multiple github repo’s. As long as we automate them we can publish multiple tarfiles with different combinations of modules.

DH: Are will definitely going for the name EPICS 7? Know that Kay likes it.

AJ: I really like the idea too, 7 is a combination of 3 + 4 while 5 implies superseding, which it doesn’t.

4. AOB

Meeting closed after about 65 minutes.