JHADRC Annual Conference on Aging and Dementia
Speakers include: Drs. Ronald Petersen, Helena Chui, Constantine Lyketsos, and Juan Troncoso.
When: Wed., June 22 9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Where: 1st Floor,CRB I,II/Owens Auditorium (campus map)
Questions? Email Corinne Pettigrew
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Congratulations to travel award winners at the 3rd Annual Postdoc Retreat
The 3rd Annual Postdoc Retreat, entitled “Through the postdoc…and beyond!” was held on May 26th. The following postdocs received travel awards for presentations:
Oral Presentation Awardees:
- 1st place ($500)- Dr. Akshata Almad, “Astrocyte Connexin43 contributes to motor neuron toxicity in ALS”
- 2nd place ($250)- Dr. Haiquan Lu, “Chemotherapy triggers HIF-1-dependent Glutathione synthesis and Copper chelation that induces the breast cancer stem cell phenotype”
- 3rd place ($250)- Dr. Katrina Schrode, “Sex differences in the Ventral Cochlear Nucleus (VCN) of mice before and after hearing loss”
- 4th place ($150)- Dr. Bo Park, “Air pollution exposure in relation to developmental delays and autism spectrum disorder in the Early Markers for Autism (EMA) Study”
- 5th place ($150)- Dr. Andrew Leong, “I didn’t focus the camera before taking the picture. You’re welcome! ”
Poster Presentation Awardees:
- 1st place ($250)- Alba Abzola, “Kinematic visual biofeedback improves accuracy of learning a swallowing maneuver and accuracy of clinician cues during training”
- 2nd, place ($150)- Yuejin Li, “Heart failure related hyper-phosphorylation of cTnI S199 has divergent effects on cardiac functions in vivo”
- 3rd, place ($150)- Amir Ansari, “Inhibition of Sonic Hedgehog Signaling pathway; a novel preventive approach for esophageal adenocarcinoma”
- Visiting Scientist Award ($150)- Saumil Sethna (University of Maryland-Baltimore), “Loss of CIB2 Leads to Progressive Blindness in Usher Syndrome Mouse Model”
The above fellows were awarded travel awards to support upcoming conference attendance. The retreat organizing committee would also like to gratefully acknowledge the following for their generous contributions in support of the postdoctoral travel awards: Dr. Martha Zeiger, Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs (SOM), Dr. Janet DiPietro, Associate Dean for Research and Faculty (SPH), Dr. Beverly Wendland, Dean Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Ben Park, Associate Professor, Oncology (SOM), Fisher Scientific, Active Motif, BioRad and Agilent technologies.
Upcoming JHPDA Events
JHPDA Monthly Meeting, Wed., June 1st
Join the JHPDA Executive Board in this month’s monthly board meeting, open to all postdocs! Learn about ongoing JHPDA initiatives. Food & beverages will be provided!
When: Wednesday, June 1st, 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Shuttle Social at Max’s Taphouse, Fri., June 10th
The Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association invites you to a shuttle social at Max’s taphouse in Fells Point! Head upstairs and look for the yellow balloon to find your fellow postdocs!
When: Friday, June 10 from 6 - 8 pm
Where: Max’s Taphouse, 737 S. Broadway
Transportation: Charm City Circulator, Green line, stop 105
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
JHMI PhD Career Fair
Help us make this year's JHMI PhD Career Fair a HUGE success. Like us on Facebook and join the LinkedIn group! Large followings will help us convince companies and employers to attend the fair.
Connect with us: Facebook & LinkedIn
This career fair has a broad focus across the life sciences, and attracts employers from a diverse range of fields (including the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, consultants, science writing and publishing organizations, patent law/IP firms, government and non-profit institutions, and more!). It will be an opportunity for employers to talk with potential hires about opportunities in their organizations, and to gain a first-hand impression of individual postdocs and PhD students.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Community outreach volunteering opportunity for a new nonprofit called National Alzheimer’s Buddies (NAB) (details) (posted 5/23)
- The latest spring issue of POSTDOCket is now available for download from the National Postdoc Association (details) (posted 5/23)
- Exploring career opportunities in your field? Access a network of research labs, science companies, and resources through Kynplex (details) (posted 4/18)
- Postdoctoral Fellow Internship Program: two mini-internships in the School of Medicine now available (details here & here) (posted 4/18)
- Festival of Genomics in Boston, 6/27-6/29 (details)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoc position available in Bioinformatics, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD (details) (posted 4/25)
- Opportunity for postdocs to work as Freelance Scientific Consultants with Kolabtree (details) (posted 4/04)
- Registration now open for Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins SPH (details) (posted 3/28)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- For events around baltimore check the list here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.