IN BRIEF: Postdoc Ice Skating in the Inner Harbor
Interested in ice skating? Socialize with your fellow postdocs while ice skating! The JHPDA invites you to the ice rink at Inner Harbor Amphitheater (only $9, including skate rentals). Sign up here.
When: Saturday, Dec 5, 4:00 pm
Where: Inner Harbor Amphitheater (201 E. Pratt St)
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming JHPDA Events
JHPDA Monthly Meeting, Wed., Dec. 3rd
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wed., Dec. 2nd, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, 181
Questions? Contact Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Partnering Toward Discovery: Conversations on Research and Medicine, Thu., Dec. 10th
Join us for the Partnering Toward Discovery Postdoctoral Fellow series event, “Discovering New Frontiers in the Pathogenesis and Treatment of Premature Infants with Necrotizing Enterocolitis".
Faculty Speaker: David Hackam, MD
Postdoctoral fellow speakers:
Diego Nino, PhD and Laura Martin, PhD
When:: Thursday, Dec 10, 4:00 pm
Where: Turner Concourse, outside Tilghman Auditorium
Light dinner and beverages will be served!
Questions? Contact Jineta Banerjee
Shuttle Social at Atwaters, Thu., Dec. 10th
JHPDA invites you to a shuttle social at Atwaters’s on JHMI campus! Thursday night is Trivia night, so come show us how much you know about current events and random information. Just look for the balloon.
When: Thursday, Dec 10, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: 855 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Postdoc Holiday Party! Thu., Dec. 17th
We invite all postdocs to join us at our annual Holiday party! Free food and drinks, games, raffles, and optional gift exchange (see details below).
When: Thursday, Dec. 17th, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Daily Grind (MRB, map)
Who: All postdocs (IDs will be checked).
1 guest allowed. Children also welcome!
Optional: Bring a gift ($10 max) and join in a white elephant gift exchange game!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Diverse Careers in Science panel discussion, Dec 2 (details here)
- Second Annual Competition for iBiology Young Scientist Seminars (iBiology site, apply by 01/11/16 here)
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details here)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Science of Learning and Gateway Sciences Symposia: Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the Sciences; JHU campus, Jan 11-12 (details & registration)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Pathways to Life Science Industry - webinars series by Keck Graduate Institute: Tues, Dec 1 (click here to register) (posted 11/08)
- Call for healthcare business idea applications (win $150k) through OneStart, a life sciences & healthcare accelerator program; applications due Tues, Dec 1; details (posted 11/08)
- Registration for the 2016 Annual National Postdoc Association is now open, at Van Andel Research Institute in Grand Rapids, MI; early bird registration until Feb 2. More details here
- Volunteer opportunity, Hopkins Robotics Cup, Jan 30 at Homewood; multiple positions available (judges, referees, field personnel, etc., no experience necessary). Contact Margaret Strong or register here (posted 11/16)
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) annual meeting in San Diego, Dec 12-16; register here (posted 11/08)
- Download free booklet on marketable skills and transition to the next phase of your career (from Science Magazine; here) (posted 11/02)
- National Postdoctoral Association Releases Guidebook to Advance Postdoc Women: more information here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Temporary communications specialist, JHMI Media Relations
Contact Shawna Williams Communications Manager (posted 11/30)
- Academic Program Manager position, JHMI Professional and Career Development Office (details) (posted 11/16)
- Postdoctoral fellow opportunity at Johns Hopkins in vascular surgery outcomes research with Dr. Mahmoud Malas (details) (posted 11/16)
- Postdoctoral position with Dr. Harhaj to study signaling mechanisms of NF-B activation by the oncogenic human T-cell leukemia virus (details) (posted 11/02)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) fellowship or grant is accepting applications now. (Details here due Dec 15)
- The T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open for postdoctoral fellows; preliminary letters of interest invited (details)
- Call for applications, Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for Academic Diversity at the University of Pennsylvania & the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) (due Dec 14, details)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.