Caramel Apple Crumb Muffins
Adapted from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
Yield - 8 muffins
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted & divided
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup + 5 tablespoons flour, divided
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1/4 teaspoon + a pinch of salt, divided
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup diced apples
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup caramel bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and liberally spray your muffin tins with Baker’s Joy.
- Crumb topping - Melt the butter and let cool slightly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar, 5 tablespoons flour, oats, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons of melted butter until the mixture is moist. Set aside.
- Muffins - Whisk together 1 cup flour, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and baking powder. Toss in the apples.
- In a liquid measuring cup mix together the almond milk, vanilla, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and the egg yolk. Stir into the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the caramel bits.
- Spoon into the muffin tins until about half full. Fill the rest of the tin with the crumb mixture. Really press the crumbs into the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops are brown and the middle is set. Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing from the muffin tin.
- Store in an airtight container.