Happy Birthday, School?
(SJ Pt.2 No.2 2007)
I am learning to respond to a text using my prior knowledge and experience.
Complete the table below about the special features and ways these schools celebrated their schools’ birthdays.
Manurewa Central School
Date school opened
Special features of the school
When they look out their window they see cows and sheeps on paddocks.
Their playgrounds were just plane paddocks.
In 1902, an oak tree was planted in the grounds . more than 80 years later, it’s still a great place to play in the shade.
How did they celebrate their birthday?
Waimana school wanted to phone all the kuia and koroua to come and celebrate with them.
Northland school dressed up as the olden days.
Manurewa central school got permission from the local airport to release helium balloons into the sky.
Compare what the schools in the book were like in the past to how they are now.
1. Some of the students went on a horse to school.
2. They used slates to do their writing on.
3. playgrounds were plane paddocks
4. Paper bags for their lunch
5. They had wooden planks in the floor
1. Now students go to school in cars or walk or bike.
2. Now students write on paper whiteboards and devices
3. Now we've got playgrounds
4.now we've got lunch boxes
5.now we’ve got nice and warm carpet
This year it is Elm Park School’s 50th Jubilee. We have had a school birthday but will be having our Jubilee celebrations in Term 4. What would be an appropriate and special celebration for our school?
. cake for every class
. mufti clothes
. elm park pinwatta
. rugby and soccer on the field
. party games
. party bags