Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
04.20.15 at 6:30 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved on 05.18.15
- Call to Order: Anna called the meeting to order at 6:37 pm.
- Roll Call: Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Alexia Hudson, CHD; Susan Likes, BM
Absent: Julie Suckla, President
Community Members: Shamai Buckel, Health & Wellness Director/CH BOD Member
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Julie B.
Next Montessori Moment: Nate
- Approval of the March 16, 2015 and March 20, 2015 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Anna moved to approve the agenda with the addition of a Consent Agenda, VIII.a. – Approval of the performance bonus recommendations as outlined in the Performance Plan. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – March 16, 2015”
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Anna: give a BOD update to Josh each month to include in the newsletter…ongoing assignment.
- Consent Agenda
- Approval of the performance bonus recommendations as outlined in the Performance Plan.
Anna moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Clarification: Susan will “gross up” the bonuses so long as it was budgeted.
- BOD President – Julie (postponed)
- Executive Director – Josh
- Postpone retreat for summer
- Action Item: Retreat Committee needs to meet ASAP.
- Anna suggested that the Retreat Committee meet for the next two months to put together an agenda. She also suggested that they submit a report (draft Agenda) to the board each month.
- Action Item: Retreat Committee meet regularly and file a board report at the next board meeting.
- Draft calendar 2015-16
- Anna and several board members voiced concern over the extended hours of each school day, both for students and staff.
- Anna reminded Josh that we told our community that we would closely match Durango’s schedule, which included two weeks longer than Re-1.
- The Board would like Josh to revise the calendar to include at least 175 contact days with shorter hours in the day.
- No one objected to having every other Friday off and staff is really looking forward to it.
- Josh will discuss the calendar with the staff and remind them that although we will have more contact days, the teachers will have more “prep” time on a daily basis.
- Action Item: Josh will present updated calendar via Google by next Monday, 27th.
- May 22, staff work day
- June 5, last day as a ½ day
- Business Manager – Susan
- Cash flow
- Statement of Activities
- Statement of Financial Position
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Approval of 1st qtr financial statements and condensed versions for publication
- Nate moved to approve the 1st qtr financial statements as presented. Seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried.
- Nate moved to approve the condensed versions for publication. Seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried.
- Nominations Committee – Anna
- Updates on new membership
- Action Item: Anna will move forward with the names discussed for nomination to the board.
- Health & Wellness Committee – Julie Bell
- Discussion of lunch program funding
- Shamai informed the Board that in order to keep the Health & Wellness grant (which goes for one more year) we need to have a committee that consists of the ED (required!), Health & Wellness Director, PTO Liaison, and a parent. Shamai is willing to be the “parent” on the committee. Shamai also reviewed the Rationale for Farm Lunch document that was uploaded to Google.
- Alexia expressed concern that although the Founding Committee supported this program, they did so only as long as it was financial stable.
- Once the Health & Wellness Director is hired for next year more specific details, funding information, and committee meetings will occur.
- Tamia recommended that we present (ask for) the full cost of the lunch program from all families with a disclaimer stating that if financial reasons prevent them from participating then please talk with Susan and discuss what they can afford.
- Group discussion: create a document that shows what the cost of the lunch program covers and also what the school is contributing (staff eats free, grant money, etc.)
- Anna suggested that Josh put together a very specific lunch schedule that would allow the staff to rotate lunch duty and therefore save on the bottom line. She also reminded Admin to make sure and charge every parent that chooses to eat the Farm lunch.
- Josh is continuing to look for a SPED.
- New Business
- Action Item: Nate will register for the Online Webinar, April 24th.
- Action Item: Josh will contact Kelly with CLC to let her know that although Nate will register for the Online Webinar, he will only be able to participate till 4:30 pm.
- Action Item: Julie Bell will register for the West Slope Seminar, May 1st.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- April 24th – No School/Staff PD day
- April 24th 2-5pm – Online Webinar to meet grant requirement (register by April 22nd)
- May 1st 9-3 – West Slope Seminar, Durango, register online
- May 6th – Bike to School Day
- May 6th at 5:30 – Puppet show at the Collaborative building
- May 8th – Innovation Fair
- Staff Inservice Lunches
- End of year staff meeting, May/June - TBD
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, May 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Revisit ED evaluation
- Retreat Committee Report – May
- Retreat Committee Report – June
- Board Retreat
- Executive Session – (not held)
- Determining positions and development strategy for negotiations and instructing, 24-6-402(4)(e).
- Adjournment: Anna moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:29 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary