SKCCC Fellow Research Day 2016
Attend fellow research day to learn about the Hopkins Cancer Center’s depth of cancer research. There will be seminars and poster session reporting on their latest findings.
Keynote speaker: Leisha Ann Emens, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Johns Hopkins University.
When: Tuesday, May 24, 11:00 - 5:00 PM
Where: 1st Floor,CRB I,II/Owens Auditorium (campus map)
Questions? Email Postdoc@jhmi.edu
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: 3rd Annual Postdoctoral Retreat - Registration deadline approaching
The 3rd Annual Postdoc Retreat, entitled “Through the postdoc … and beyond!” will be held on May 26th on the JH East Baltimore campus. The retreat will focus on strategies for success in postdoc and professional positions. Abstract submission is closed, but registration is open until May 19th - register today!
In addition to the below sessions, the retreat will feature scientific presentations and opportunities to network with fellow postdocs from JHU, UMD, and NIH.
- 2 plenary sessions: 1) Mary Woolley, Research America, “Your Role in Changed Hearts and Minds for Science”; 2) Brian Malow, Science Comedian (talk title TBD)
- 2 workshops: 1) Science communication; 2) Managing your time as a postdoc
- 2 breakout sessions: 1) NIH K-grant info session; 2) Diverse careers round-table discussion
For more information & registration details: Visit our retreat website!
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Homewood Postdoc Retreat, Thurs., May 19
Join the Homewood Postdoc Association (HW-PDA) for their postdoc retreat entitled "Becoming a professor: getting and surviving a tenure-track job". The event will feature discussion panels with junior and senior faculty, workshops on managing your academic reputation and refining the teaching-related component of your application, and opportunities to socialize with your fellow postdocs. Visit the retreat website for details, a complete schedule, and location.
When: Thurs., May 19th, 1:00 - 7:00 pm
Where: Homewood Campus, Hodson Hall, 3rd floor
Questions? Contact Shevaun Lewis
JHMI PhD Career Fair
Help us make this year's JHMI PhD Career Fair a HUGE success. Like us on Facebook and join the LinkedIn group! Large followings will help us convince companies and employers to attend the fair.
Connect with us: Facebook & LinkedIn
This career fair has a broad focus across the life sciences, and attracts employers from a diverse range of fields (including the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, consultants, science writing and publishing organizations, patent law/IP firms, government and non-profit institutions, and more!). It will be an opportunity for employers to talk with potential hires about opportunities in their organizations, and to gain a first-hand impression of individual postdocs and PhD students.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- BioNetworking for postdoc fellows and professional scientists at BioHealth Capital Region on 5/26 3-5 PM at MedImmune (registration) (posted 5/16)
- American Society for Cell Biology Minorities Affairs Committee (MAC) is accepting applications for the 11th Annual Junior Faculty and Postdoctoral Fellows Career Development Workshop on July 16-18 at Chapel Hill, NC with full travel support to attend available; apply by 5/20 (registration) (posted 5/16)
- Exploring career opportunities in your field? Access a network of research labs, science companies, and resources through Kynplex (details) (posted 4/18)
- Postdoctoral Fellow Internship Program: two mini-internships in the School of Medicine now available (details here & here) (posted 4/18)
- Festival of Genomics in Boston, 6/27-6/29 (details)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Cast your vote for your favorite educator/mentor for the SKCCC Fellow's Research Day Director’s teaching awards by 5/19 3pm (details) (posted 5/16)
- Postdoc position available in Bioinformatics, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD (details) (posted 4/25)
- Opportunity for postdocs to work as Freelance Scientific Consultants with Kolabtree (details) (posted 4/04)
- Registration now open for Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins SPH (details) (posted 3/28)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- For events around baltimore check the list here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.