Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, May 6th, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Communications Committee Meeting
Learn about ongoing communications initiatives; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, May 12th, 11:00 am
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind
Contact: Anna Blice-Baum
Socials Committee Meeting
Come and be a part of the organizing committee for the next social event on/off campus!
When: Thursday, May 14th, 9:30 am
Where: Atwater’s Cafe
Contact: Justin La Favor
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew
Co-president: Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Blythe Shepard
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
jobs.ac.uk offers a toolkit aimed at postdoctoral researchers considering their overall career progress and development. The toolkit offers some general starting points for reflecting on careers to date and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center Fellow Research Day
When: Friday, May 15th
Where: Turner Concourse
Details here (Hopkins intranet only).
Personal Security Device Survey
A team of Hopkins graduate students and alumni are developing a device for personal safety on-campus and in Baltimore. They are gathering information from potential users and would really appreciate getting feedback from the Hopkins postdoc community through their short survey.
Identifying Career Pathways for PhDs in Science Survey
If you have received a PhD in any of the physical, life, engineering, computational, or social sciences between 2004 and 2014 from any institution worldwide and have ever studied, worked, or trained in the United States, you are invited to participate in a survey study conducted by Harvard Law School. The survey takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and includes questions about career interests, activities, current employment, and motivations for choosing your career.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
A free networking website for the global research community. It enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide, helping them to build their networks and explore new ideas
Complimentary ebooks on career advice
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Applications Open for teaching Certificate & Teaching-as-Research Fellowship programs
The Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) seeks postdoctoral fellows from across Hopkins who wish to acquire instructional skills for academic careers that will involve teaching. Through this initiative, participants will obtain an overview of pedagogy, explore different educational models, acquire teaching and assessment skills, and work with faculty teaching mentors in a classroom, online course, or laboratory environment.
Applications for the Teaching Academy are now open and due on August 1st, 2015. Apply here, or email email@example.com for more information.
Teaching-as-Research (TAR) Fellowships
TAR is the deliberate, systematic, and reflective use of research methods by instructors to develop and implement teaching practices that advance the learning experiences and student learning outcomes. Open to postdoctoral fellows, TAR fellowships carry a stipend of $1,250. For TAR projects conducted in the fall or intersession terms, apply by June 1st, 2015.
Click here to apply or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Nominate a JHPDA Officer by May 8th
Do you know any postdocs who are natural leaders? Do you know anyone who is interested in contributing to the oldest postdoctoral association in the country? Would they be great at making decisions that can influence the postdoctoral experience of yourself and your colleagues? If yes, then nominate them for an officer position in the JHPDA!
Self-nominations are allowed! All SOM, SPH, and SON postdocs are eligible for nomination!
Send your nominations to email@example.com. Please add “Nomination” and the officer position in the email subject line.
Please submit your nominations by 5pm on May 8th.
There are four elected JHPDA Officer positions:
- Two Co-President positions: to be eligible for these positions, the nominee must have been an active JHPDA member in 2014-2015
- Treasurer: no prior experience is required
- Secretary: no prior experience is required
Nominees will contacted by Monday, May 11th.
Playtime at Patterson Park, Sat., May 9th
Come join us for playtime at the Patterson Park playground on Eastern Avenue! This is a casual opportunity to get to know other young families associated with Hopkins. We'll meet at the playground for the kids to play then head to a nearby cafe afterwards for lunch. Look for the yellow JHPDA balloon!
When: Saturday, May 9th, 10:30 am
Where: Patterson Park Playground #2 on Eastern Ave (see attached map)
Contact: Mari 443-680-6403
Night at the BSO, Sat., May 9th
Once deemed “worthless” and “impossible to play” by critics, Tchaikovsky’s First Piano Concerto is now regarded as one of classical music’s most enchanting solo works. Marin Alsop leads remarkable young Czech pianist Lukáš Vondráček in this timeless concerto.
When: Saturday, May 9th, 8:00 pm
Where: Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall
Cost: $28 (discounted tickets for Hopkins affiliates)
RSVP and payment by J-Card required by Monday, May 4
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office
Spring 2015 Research Leadership for Postdocs
Research Leadership for Postdocs in a series of 12 short lunchtime modules. Sessions are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00-1:30 in the 1830 Building, classroom 2-108. Find session topics and dates here and register here.
Effective Science Communication
Effective written and oral communication is crucial for achieving academic success. Join us on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 - 11:00 am in classroom 2-108 in the 1830 Building to learn the fundamentals of all types of science communication.
5/5: Career Opportunities in Medical Communication – Dr. Barbara Gastel
5/7: Communicating to the Lay Public – Dr. Audrey Huang
A more detailed schedule and syllabus can be found here. Register for the class through your individual program in order to receive credit. For other questions, please contact Liz Meier (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information Session: Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - New options!
When: Monday, May 11th, 12:00 - 2:00 pm
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium; 1st floor Preclinical Teaching Building, map
Information session about the Teaching Fellows Program from faculty and participants. Teaching sites include Notre Dame University of Maryland*, Goucher College, Stevenson University and Morgan State University. Visit the teaching fellows website to learn more! (*Co-Sponsored by the JHPDA.)
Job Opportunities For International Graduates/Postdocs
When: Wednesday, May 13th, 4:00 - 6:00 pm
Where: 1830 E Monument St., room 2-108
Panelists share their experience and answer your questions.Plus, hands-on advice from an immigration lawyer and JHU Office of International Services.
Additional Professional Development Events
Welch Library Courses
A list of upcoming Welch Library Courses can be found here.
Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- A three day workshop on teaching and education at the postsecondary level Wed May 27, 2015 at 8:00 am through Friday, May 29 at 4:00 pm (details)
- Applications are now being accepted for the Teaching-as-Research Fellowships: Deadline June 1st. More information here, and apply here
- Applications for the Teaching Academy are now being accepted (open to graduate students and postdocs) application process (deadline August 1st)
Hopkins Science Writing Program
Online/low-residency Science Writing Program. Postdocs have multiple options for gaining training, including a Master of Arts degree (9 courses), a graduate certificate program (5 courses), and individual classes. Except for week-long residencies, courses are online. To learn more, see this flyer or visit this site.
33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
When: June 15th - July 3rd
Where: Bloomberg School of Public Health
Details here. Contact email@example.com with questions.
Summer Institute offers intensive basic and advanced level courses in epidemiology and biostatistics intended to develop an understanding of the principles, methodologic strategies and practical aspects of epidemiological research. SOM postdocs interested in registering should contact the SOM Registrar.
- Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists organized by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Applications open 5/4 link
- Lasker Foundation 2015 “Research Challenge” Essay Contest; prizes of $10k, $5k, and $2k (due 5/4; details)
- Apply to become a leader of the NPA advocacy committee. Application due 5/8. Details here
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- CIRTL Johns Hopkins Summer Teaching Institute, 5/27 - 5/29 (details)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS. Submission deadline for oral presentation 5/15, registration 7/18 details
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoctoral position available in the Viral Oncology Program of the Department of Oncology. (details) contact Dr. John Nicholas, firstname.lastname@example.org (posted 4/27)
- Postdoctoral candidates are invited for projects available in nucleic acid and protein biochemistry, protein quality control, and microRNA biology. Lab affiliated with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of the BSPH and the Department of Neuroscience of SOM. (details) (posted 4/27)
- Lecturer position in Biochemistry at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC; details) (posted 4/19)
- Two Radiology/Human genetics postdocs available (due 4/27, details)
- Paid internship Opportunity with Acidophil, LLC to evaluate biotechnology opportunities from both a technical and business point of view; interested parties should seek PI approval and ensure your training allows outside employment (details) (posted 4/19)
- Bayer Early Excellence in Science Award - call for candidate nominations (due 4/30; website; full details)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Opportunity in Sarcoma Translational Biology (details; or email David Loeb, email@example.com) (posted 2/09)
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Cellular and Molecular Shock Research at the Center for Vascular and Inflammatory Diseases, UMD Baltimore (details) (posted 2/09)
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Biochemistry/Enzymology at the Lieber Institute for Brain Development (JHU affiliate; link; if interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org) (posted 2/23)
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center (link) (posted 2/03)
- Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship, Goucher College, Department of Chemistry (application) (posted 1/12)
- Naturejobs Career Expo 2015 (5/20, registration)
- Postdoc Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine in the University of Maryland, Baltimore (link) (posted 4/06)
- Multiple positions at Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology (link) (posted 4/06)
- The Foundation for Women's Wellness (FWW) Fellowship Awards (due 6/8, link)
- An NIH-funded position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to study the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori in Solnick Laboratory, Center for Comparative Medicine, UC Davis (link) (posted 5/03)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
- JHU Choral society’s annual spring concert: May 5, 5:30 pm Hurd Hall; free to the public! (details)
- Baltimore Orioles free giveaways at games - promotion schedule!
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.