Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

Immigrant & Worker Resources

The Inland Coalition for Immigrant Justice and the Warehouse Workers Resource Center are dedicated to ensuring that all workers and immigrant communities in the Inland Empire have access to resources & community support in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This document is a compilation of resources that have been made available in Riverside and San Bernardino and are accessible to immigrant, workers and low income families. This document will be updated regularly. If you would like to provide feedback or let us know of any outdated information, please use this form: click here.

This document is only for general information. Resources and information is current to the best of our knowledge at the date of publication, but is not guaranteed to be accurate and may change after publication. Additionally, none of the information in this document is legal or medical advice. You should consult an attorney or medical professional for advice regarding your own particular situation.

Please stay tuned – as the struggles facing all Inland Empire residents increases we must work together to ensure solidarity and mutual aid amongst the most vulnerable communities.  Please follow all Department of Public Health guidelines and keep your family and community safe.

Emergency Response Network: 909-361-4588

Warehouse Workers Resource Center: 951-394-0236

Table of Contents

Inland Empire Health Resources:

Riverside Clinics or Testing areas

San Bernardino Clinics or Testing areas

Immigrant Resources & Information

Immigration Legal Services

General Legal Services

Public Charge:

Support Services for Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Emergency Hotlines/Shelters

Legal Resources for Domestic Violence Survivors

Food Access & Resources

San Bernardino:










Additional Resources:

Street Vendors & Small Businesses

Small Business Resources for Street Vendors:

How to support Street Vendors:

Workers Rights information in the Inland Empire

Staying Safe and Healthy at Work

If You Get Sick or Injured at Work

If You Are Laid Off, Lose Hours, or Your Employer Closes

If School Closures Prevent You From Working

If You Get Sick or Quarantined with COVID-19

If You Have to Care For Someone Else

Where to Apply for Benefits or Get Help

Housing Rights

Protections for Tenants

Protections for Homeowners:

Public Utilities:

Low Cost Internet:

Sigma Xi Beta

Census 2020

NALEO Hotline:

Inland Empire Health Resources:

If you or your family feel any symptoms please visit a medical professional immediately !!

Call your primary care provider first. If you don't have one, call the closest clinic and the health center will screen over the phone and advise on next steps. The availability of COVID 19 testing is very fluid and changes so rapidly that everyone who is experiencing symptoms is urged to call first on an individual basis.

If you get sick and are unable to work or need to quarantine yourself, you have rights to take leave  time and may be eligible for compensation. Most employees in California have the right to at least 3 paid sick days during a year. If you work for a company with fewer than 500 employees, your employer may also have to give you 10 additional paid sick days for illness or quarantine related to the coronavirus, under a new emergency federal law.

  • It is safe and smart to see the doctor if you need care. Your doctor is required to honor your right to privacy. You do not need to share any information about your immigration status unless you apply for Medicaid or other health coverage.
  • You can still see a doctor without medical insurance. This includes care you receive in the emergency room, at community and migrant health centers, free clinics, and public hospitals. If you don’t have a doctor, call a local community health center for assistance.  You can find a health center here: 
  • Hospitals and health care spaces are safe to visit. Federal guidelines prohibit immigration agents from conducting arrests or other enforcement actions at health care facilities, such as hospitals, doctors’ offices, health clinics, and urgent care facilities.
  • Know Your Rights CLICK HERE to learn more about your rights when accessing health services.

Riverside Clinics or Testing areas:

The Eastside Health Center (Borrego Health)

1970 University Ave. Riverside, CA 92507 | (951) 213-3450 | TRIAGE HOTLINE 1-855-436-1234

Desert Hot Springs Community Health Center – Main Campus

66675 Pierson Boulevard Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240

(760) 676-5240

Riverside University Health System, Lake Elsinore

2499 E. Lakeshore Drive Suite B Lake Elsinore, CA 92530

(951) 471-4200

Community Health Systems, Inc.

Moreno Valley Family Health Center 22675 Alessandro Boulevard Moreno Valley, CA 92553

(951) 571-2350

Riverside University Health System

Moreno Valley 23520 Cactus Avenue Moreno Valley, CA 92553

(951) 867-3900

San Bernardino Clinics or Testing areas:

San Bernardino County Testing sites

Al-Shifa Free Clinic

2034 B Mallory St. San Bernardino, California

(909) 473-0600

Lestonnac Free Clinic, San Bernardino Clinic 401 E. 21st Street San Bernardino, CA 92404

(909) 881-4800

Parktree Community Health Centers
(909) 469-9017, 1556 S. Sultana Avenue, Ontario 91761

(909) 469-9013, 2680 E. Riverside Drive, Ontario 91761

D Street Medical Center (FQHC) (Borrego Community Health Foundation)

590 N. D Street San Bernardino, CA 92401

(909) 453-6900, Triage Hotline: 760-477-0802

Unicare Community Health Center, Inc.

570 S. Mt. Vernon Avenue, Suite G San Bernardino, CA 92410

(909) 884-6700

SAC Health System 

488 S. K Street San Bernardino, CA 92410

(909) 383-8092 

For more information on health resources & available coverage visit:

  • Borrego Health: Borrego Health clinics in the IE offer medical care with a sliding scale. They require 2 pay stubs, and a valid ID (does not need to be issued by state). Please visit their COVID-19 response website for more information or call their triage hotline 1-855-436-1234 if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, difficulty breathing or have traveled in the last 14 days

  • IE COVID-19 Medical Student Taskforce and UCR Health: UCR COVID Hotline

Call the free hotline to get your questions answered!

Line: (951) 208-7235

Date & Time: Monday – Sunday, 8am-5pm

This is a medical student run public health initiative to support the Inland Empire in response to COVID-19.

Immigrant Resources & Information

  1. Do not say anything to immigration officers if they try to talk to you, do not open the door, or lower your vehicle window unless they present a warrant signed by a judge
  2. Remember that ICE agents often use ruses, such as pretending to be local police agents, in order to make people cooperate and even inadvertently turn in their own family members
  3. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING before speaking with an immigration attorney
  4. Take note, photo or video of the interaction
  5. Call the emergency response number to report ICE presence

Immigration Enforcement Activity and Rapid Response Hotlines Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has released a statement describing its intention to “not carry out enforcement operations at or near health care facilities, such as hospitals, doctors' offices, accredited health clinics, and emergent or urgent care facilities, except in the most extraordinary of circumstances.” The statement also says that “Individuals should not avoid seeking medical care because they fear civil immigration enforcement.”

However, it is important to always be aware of your surroundings and to know your rights at home, in the car and in places in the community. The following resources can help if you encounter ICE or CBP.

Although field offices are closed, and they issued the previous statement, ICE/Border Patrol is not completely ceasing operation. If ICE or Border Patrol comes to your house or work, or pulls over your vehicle on the street, etc., call (909)361-4588 and one of our Emergency Response volunteers will provide information in English or Spanish on how to respond and what your rights are.

Emergency Response Network: 909-361-4588

Detention Conditions and Treatment: 909-996-9424

ICE and ISAP check-ins: The San Bernardino ISAP office is closed until further notice, and ISAP officers are asking people on the ISAP program to check in via phone. However, do not assume that you do not have to attend ICE check-ins-- always verify with your deportation officer if in doubt to avoid re-detention or re-enrollment in the ankle bracelet monitor program.

Questions on the Courts: Non-detained EOIR (immigration court) hearings have been pushed back until after April 10th. However, if documents are due to be filed on your case you may still need to file on time at the immigration court. If you have an attorney, contact them to see if you need to provide any additional documents for your case. Detained court hearings, however, continue as usual as of now. Attorney visits are more limited, non-contact, and may take longer to schedule due to restrictions related to COVID-19 (for instance, some clients may be in quarantine and unable to accept even attorney visits).

Immigration Legal Services


If you are facing deportation or have a loved one in immigration detention, or another urgent immigration-related question, you can contact one of the following organizations for legal services:

San Bernardino Community Service Center, Inc.

(909) 885-1992

Offices closed to public, all intakes and information will be via phone with few exceptions for emergencies


Phone: (213) 385-7800 x219

Offices closed to public, all intakes and information will be via phone only

Due to capacity CARECEN will not be able to take on new cases right away, but the operator can answer questions and take down information for attorneys

Inland Counties Legal Services

1(888) 245-4257

Offices closed to public, all intakes will be by phone only

Leave a voicemail and your call will be returned

Services: Domestic violence related cases or for victims of crime

Pomona Economic Opportunity Center

Phone: (909) 397-4215

Office closed to public, all intakes over the phone or by video conference

General Legal Services

Inland Counties Legal Services

1(888) 245-4257

Offices closed to public, all intakes will be by phone only

Leave a voicemail and your call will be returned

Services: Healthcare- Medi-Cal/Medicare issues, SSI, disability; Access to benefits- erroneous denial of public benefits such as Medi-Cal, Calfresh, Calworks etc.; Consumer- unemployment, wage loss.

Legal Advocacy Support:

USCIS UPDATE:  As of March 18, USCIS suspended all routine in-person services until at least April 1. Biometrics appointments at USCIS have been rescheduled until further notice. When USCIS again resumes normal operations, USCIS will automatically reschedule Application Support Center appointments due to the office closure. According to USCIS, if you do not receive a new appointment notice by mail within 90 days, call 800-375-5283 (see field appointments and rescheduling).

Resources for Undocumented:

National Immigration Legal Services Directory

The Health Consumer Alliance 1-888-804-3536 | 

offers free assistance by phone or in person to help people who are struggling to get or maintain health coverage and resolve problems with their health plans, provides free, confidential consultation and information

Public Charge:

  • Some people who apply for a green card (Lawful Permanent Residence) or a Visa to enter the U.S. must pass a “public charge” test – which looks at whether the person is likely to use certain government services in th9e future. In making this determination, immigration officials review all of a person’s circumstances, including their age, income, health, education or skills (including English language skills), and their sponsor’s affidavit of support or contract. They can also consider whether a person has used certain public programs.
  • Public charge DOES NOT apply to all immigrants. To learn more about who is affected by the rule, visit Protecting Immigrant Families or Keep Your Benefits

Support Services for Domestic Violence

For many, being under quarantine or staying at home may mean remaining in the presence of an abuser 24/7, leading to an increase in domestic violence and other forms of abuse. If you are experiencing any form of domestic abuse, please reach out to the hotline and shelter closest to you for support. These services are provided regardless of immigration status.

Domestic Violence Emergency Hotlines/Shelters

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Phone: 1-800-799-7233

Option House (San Bernardino)

Phone: (909) 381-3471

House of Ruth (Ontario/Pomona)

Hotline: 1 (877) 988-5559

Non-emergency number: (909) 623-4364

Alternatives To Domestic Violence (Riverside)

Hotline: (951) 683-0829

Non-emergency number: (951) 320-1370

Hope House (Victorville)

Phone: (760) 949-4357

Unity Home (Joshua Tree)

Phone: 760-366-1247

24-Hour Hotline: (760) 366-9663

Legal Resources for Domestic Violence Survivors

Inland Counties Legal Services

1(888) 245-4257

Offices closed to public, all intakes will be by phone only

Leave a voicemail and your call will be returned

Services: Immigration and family law

Some shelters may also provide access to an attorney or other legal resources through their own programs. Feel free to ask about this when contacting any of the hotlines above.

Food Access & Resources

Food Banks: Food is available on a referral basis through many of the Inland Empire churches, please call in advance to confirm.

COVID-19 Food Bank Database:

Price Gouging Reports: 800-593-8222

San Bernardino:

Mary's Mercy Center: 

641 N Roberds Ave.

San Bernardino, CA 92411

(909) 889-2558

Days/ Times:  Every Wednesday, except 1st Wednesday of the month. 1:30 PM   -3:00PM

* Only asking for ID if someone looks particularly young.

Sahaba Initiative

1887 Business Center Dr. South,

San Bernardino, CA 92408

(909) 381-3002

Days/ Times: Saturdays Only - 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Set Free Christian Fellowship:

473 West Baseline Street San Bernardino California 92410

(909) 383-2323

Days/Times: Sunday 10am -11am, Wednesday 6:30 - 7:30pm, Friday 11am - 12pm

St. John’s Episcopal Church: 

1407 N. Arrowhead Ave. San Bern, CA. 92405

(909) 889-1195

Wednesdays 9am - 11am

First Presbyterian Church 

1900 N D Street San Bern, CA. 92408

(909) 882-3308

Days/times: Monday - Saturday 9am - 12pm

The Rock Church and World Outreach Center:

2345 S. Waterman Ave. San Bern, CA 92408


Days/times:Tuesdays and Thursdays

8am - 10am

USDA Food Dist. Operation Grace:

1595 Art Townsend Drive,

San Bernardino

(909) 382 -8540

Days/times Tuesday 9:00AM- 12:00PM

Judson Baptist Church 

1406 Pacific St.

San Bernardino, CA. 92404

(909) 889-0781

Wednesdays 1:30 - 3:00 PM


Inland Valley Hope Partners:

Chino Center

 5581 Daniels St. Unit F Chino, CA 91710  (909) 622-3806

 Every 3rd Sat. 10:00 PM - 12:00 PM

*  ID required


Inland Valley Hope Partners: Sova Program Center 

904 E. California St. Ontario, CA 91761  



Inland Valley Hope Partners: Beta Program Center

209 W. Pearl, Ste. 103

Pomona, CA 91768

(909) 622- 3806 Ext. 301

 Mon-Thu,  9:00 AM -3:00 PM

* ID required

Helping Hands Pantry:

1455 E. 3rd St. San Bernardino,

CA 92415

(909) 796-4222

Sunday - Thursday 8am - 10am

HOPE Family Resource Centers

909.628.1201, Ext. 8960


God's Helping Hand/ Circle

of Care Food Bank:

26090 Ynez Rd. Temecula, CA 9259

 (Inside Crossroads Church)

(951) 973- 3582

M-Thu. 10:30 AM- 12:30 PM

Food will be handed out by drive thru

Ecclesia Christian Fellowship: 

1314 East Date St. San Bern, CA 92404

(909) 881-5551

Days/times: Wed 5pm-6pmWay World

Outreach Downtown Campus:

1001 N Arrowhead Ave. San Bern, CA. 92410

Phone number: (909)884-7117

Wednesday 7pm-10pm, Friday 11:30AM - 1:30P

Central City Lutheran Mission:

1354 N. G St. San Bern, CA. 92405

(909) 381-6921

Days/ Times: Friday 9am - 11am

Cathedral of Praise Ministries: Helping Hands Pantry:

Address: 3030 Del Rosa Ave. North San Bern, CA. 92404

(909) 474-1005

Days/ Times: Saturday 8am

Temecula: God's Helping Hand/ Circle of Care Food Bank:

26090 Ynez Rd. Temecula, CA 92591 (Inside Crossroads Church)

(951) 973- 3582

 Starting 3/30/20,  M-Thu. 10:30 AM- 12:30 PM

  • Food will be handed out by drive thru


  • Inland Valley Hope Partners: Upland Center

814 Alpine St. Upland, CA 91786

(909) 622- 3806

Every 3rd Wed. 5:30 PM -7:30 PM

*  ID required


ICNA Center:

3764 Ellis St., Corona, 92879

(855) 855-4262

 Saturdays 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM


Redlands Corps Community Center:

838 Alta St. Redlands CA. 92374

(909) 798-8818

 Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm


Feeding America: 

2950 B Jefferson St.  Riverside CA. 92504

(951) 359-3757

 Tuesdays 12pm to 2pm


Mountain View Church:

8833 Palmetto Ave. Fontana, CA. 93335

Sundays 11:30am to 12:30 pm

Note: to participate in food banks in Riverside County, participants must be 235% below poverty line, check here for a chart that can help understand that or this chart

*people might be asked for ID to confirm name and that they received food but should not be asked for immigration status by anyone assisting with food distribution

School Lunches: Schools are providing lunch for families who need it. For schedule and location information visit: 

Grocery Store hours: Practice distancing from other people and take every health precaution when you go grocery shopping. Some stores have special hours for elders.

Additional Resources:

Diocese of San Bernardino (food banks/Pantries)

Consulate of Mexico

Lift to Rise- Coachella Valley

  • Emergency fund  
  • Medical services
  • Legal services
  • Workers benefits

Restaurant Opportunities Centers United – Restaurant Workers Relief Fund

One Fair Wage Emergency Fund

  • Cash assistance for restaurant workers, car service drivers, delivery workers, personal service workers and more who need the money.  

USBG National Charity Foundation – Bartender Emergency Assistance Program

Another Round, Another Rally Emergency Assistance

Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation

Corona Settlement House                                                                                      Address: 507 S Vicentia Ave Corona, CA 92882                                                           Phone number: (951) 737-3504         

  • Rent (once a month call-in), monthly mortgage expenses, utility bill assistance, emergency shelter vouchers, mortgages, rental costs, hotel vouchers, and other housing needs for income qualified Corona-Norco residents
  • Phone (951) 737-3504
  • 507 S Vicentia Ave Corona, CA 92882.

Community Connect                                                                                Address: 2060 University Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92507                                                 Phone number:(951) 328-8278

  • Families that live in the City of Corona. Rent Guarantee Program combines loans and vouchers to help pay security deposits or other housing needs. It is a form of Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing that offer rental assistance and eviction prevention services.                                                

Society of St. Vincent De Paul                                                                         Address: 601 West 6th Street, Corona, California 92882                                              Phone number (951) 715-4858

  • Emergency housing, counseling, and rent support

Riverside County Department of Public Social Services                                         Phone number: (951) 922-7000

  • Grants for eviction prevention services from CalWORKS. People with a 3 day pay or quit or notice of detail can apply for emergency rent, mortgage, or energy bill help. There may also be vouchers for motels while the family relocates.

Riverside Catholic Charities                                                                        Address: 5473 Mission Boulevard, Riverside, CA                                                         Phone number: (951) 328-1575

  • Some grants may be used for rent arrears, social services.

LightHouse Social Service Centers                                                 Address:15333 Sheila Street, Moreno Valley, CA, 92551                                                 Phone number: (951) 571-3533

  • Veteran assistance in Riverside County. Govt grants for security deposits, rental arrears, utility deposits to the homeless and those facing eviction.

Salvation Army                                                                                        Address: 3695 First Street, Riverside, CA 92501                                                         Phone number: (951) 784-4490.

  • 14068 Graham Street, Moreno Valley, CA 92553
  • Assistance programs are run, both financial and non-financial.
  • May have funds for rent, security deposits, moving expenses, eviction prevention.

Moreno Valley Catholic Charities                                                                 Address: 23623 Sunnymead Boulevard E, Moreno Valley, CA 92553                                 Phone        number: (951) 924-9964

  • Case management, short term mortgage, rental and utility Assistance, referrals and outreach services.

P.W. Enhancement Center                                                                 Address:24490 Sunnymead Blvd. Moreno Valley, CA 92553                                        Phone number: (951) 242-7001

  • Food, motel and hotel vouchers, rent arrears and housing assistance.

San Jacinto Community Pantry                                                                 Address: 135 N. San Jacinto Avenue, Hemet, CA 92543                                                 Phone number (951) 929-1101

  • Food, emergency housing assistance, may offer short term housing and energy bill assistance, rental help, and eviction prevention.

Perris Valley Family Resource Center                                                                 Address: 371 Wilkerson Avenue, Perris, CA 92570                                                    Phone number: (951) 443-1158

  • Homeless Referrals, rental assistance, job training, employment.

Rubidoux Community Resource Center                                                                 Address: 5473 Mission Boulevard, Jurupa Valley, California, 92509                                 Phone number: (951) 328-1575.

  • Migrants, working poor: rent assistance, counseling, basic needs, benefit applications.

Menifee Valley Community Cupboard                                                                 Address:26808 Cherry Hill Boulevard, Menifee, CA, 92586.                                         Phone: (951)301-4414

  • Disabled and senior citizens.

Hope, Empathy, Love & Prayer, Inc. (H.E.L.P. Inc.)                                                 Address: 53 S. 6th Street, Banning, California 92220                                                 Phone number: (951) 922-2305

  • Rent & mortgage assistance and money to pay housing expenses

Desert Samaritan for Seniors                                                                Address: 75105 Merle Drive, Suite 500, Palm Desert, CA                                                 Phone number: (760) 837-9066

  • Emergency rent and housing assistance for senior citizens.

Catholic Charities

Direct financial assistance for rent, low income housing for low-income working families, individuals, single moms and homeless people. Most centers will provide other aid as well.

  • 371 Wilkerson Avenue Perris , CA 92570. Phone: (951) 443-1158.
  • 16051 Kosota Road, Suite 700 Apple Valley, California 92307. Phone: (760) 242-2311 EXT 8454.
  • 91-275 Avenue 66 Mecca, California 92254. Phone: (760) 347-1188
  • 81626 Hwy 111 Indio, CA 92201. Phone (760) 342-0157.
  • 83180 Requa Ave, Ste B-9, Indio, CA 92201. Phone (951) 784-5020.
  • 9375 Archibald Ave., Suite 302 Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730.  Phone (909) 481-7196.

UCR  (Food banks/pantries)

HOPE Family Resource Center

Case managers will be available by telecommunication to help Chino Valley Unified School District Families. 909.628.1201, Ext. 8960

  • Cal-Fresh/Cal Works, Medi-Cal/Covered CA application assistance
  • Food and clothing
  • Child care information/referrals
  • Counseling
  • Parent education
  • Preschool referrals and more!

San Bernardino Regional Center - Dept of Community and Emergency Services. Address:1800 Western Avenue, Suite 107 San Bernardino, CA 92411.                                 Phone number: (909) 880-3625.

  • Outreach, housing advocacy, HIV/AIDS services, emergency rent assistance.


  • Folks who need help signing up for the 60 day free internet offers and/or the low cost (under $25) internet can email or  #AccessIE stands for Access for Internet Empowerment and is fully funded by the California Emerging Technology Fund.  We also have an optional hot spot device that people can purchase to boost signal or for house-less or home insecure community members for $10 per month.
  • Since many folks lack the ability to email without internet access at home, they can also text the following numbers to sign up via phone or text:
  • 909-454-7129
  • 909-406-9372

Street Vendors & Small Businesses

Street vendors and small businesses have been deeply impacted by the COVID-19 lockdown, see below how to support local vendors and small businesses in the inland region.

Small Business Resources for Street Vendors: 

How to support Street Vendors:

Workshops for how to use Venmo, PayPal, FaceBook, Instagram to promote phone orders

If you would like to participate in these workshops or need support due to lost events, can’t pay county or state permits contact: 909-666-0486

Support IE Vendors: Local Vendor in the IE? Fill out this form 

Are you a vendor in Riverside City go to

Workers Rights information in the Inland Empire

Warehouse Worker Resource Center: 951-394-0236

With a few exceptions, all employees in California are entitled to the same rights and benefits under the law, regardless of their immigration status. Unless otherwise noted, all rights and benefits discussed below apply regardless of immigration status. Even in this emergency, workers have essentially the same rights as before, including the right to be paid properly for all work time; protections against discrimination, harassment, and retaliation; safety protections; benefits; and most importantly, the right to speak up about and organize against unsafe or illegal conditions.

Staying Safe and Healthy at Work

Your employer has a legal responsibility to protect your health and safety on the job. If you think your safety or health is in danger at work, you have the right to speak up about these issues with your employer. You also have the right to refuse to do hazardous work that would put you or your coworkers in danger, but you should talk to your employer about the hazard first. If your employer does not respect your rights to remain safe on the job, contact Cal/OSHA or WWRC for help. If you make any demands of your employer about safety or other issues, it’s often better to do it in a group with other coworkers if possible.

If You Get Sick or Injured at Work

You may be eligible for Workers’ Compensation benefits to cover medical treatment and lost wages if you have an illness or injury that resulted from performing your job.

If You Are Laid Off, Lose Hours, or Your Employer Closes

If your employer has reduced your hours, closed down business, or laid off or terminated you, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI). UI provides partial wage replacement if a worker loses their job or has their hours reduced, through no fault of their own.

  • Eligible workers can receive benefits ranging from $40-$450 per week for up to 26 weeks. It’s possible benefit amounts will be temporarily increased during the COVID-19 emergency.
  • UI is the only benefit described in this section that is not available to undocumented workers. DACA recipients with valid work authorization may be eligible.

If School Closures Prevent You From Working

  • Starting April 2, some workers will be entitled to 10 Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) days in addition to what their employers already provide, which can be used to care for a child whose school has closed due to the Coronavirus.
  • Some workers can also get up to 12 weeks of Public Health Emergency Leave (PHEL) to care for a child whose school has closed. The first 10 days are unpaid (during which parents can use EPSL), then employers must pay the worker ⅔ their usual rate of pay, capped at $200 per day and $10,000 in total.
  • EPSL and PHEL  benefits are only available to workers at companies with less than 500 employees, and PHEL only to people employed by their current employer for at least 30 days. Employers with less than 50 employees may soon be exempted from providing EPSL and PHEL benefits as well.
  • Parents who must miss work to care for children because of school closures may also, on a case-by-case basis, be eligible for Unemployment Insurance.
  • Workers at companies with 25 more employees in the same location have the right to up to 40 hours of unpaid leave per year for a child’s school-related emergencies.

If You Get Sick or Quarantined with COVID-19

  • You can use your accrued paid sick leave for diagnosis, care, treatment, or preventative care for any health condition. All California employers are required to provide employees with the equivalent of at least 3 paid sick days per year, and some cities require more.
  • Starting April 2, some employers must provide employees with an additional 10 days of Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL), on top of whatever they already provide, to use for diagnosis, treatment or required quarantine for COVID-19. EPSL is only available to workers at companies with less than 500 employees, and employers with less than 50 employees may soon be exempted from providing EPSL as well. EPSL benefits for this purpose are capped at $511 per day and $5,110 total.
  • If you are unable to work for more than 8 days because of a medically-certified disability, which could include severe COVID-19 or complications, you may be eligible for State Disability Insurance (SDI) cash benefits. Benefits cover 60-70 percent of wages up to a maximum of $1,300 per week for up to 52 weeks.
  • Regardless of any paid benefits you may receive, workers at a company with 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius may be entitled to up to 12 weeks of job-protected unpaid leave to care for a serious health condition under the California Family Leave Act (CFRA) or Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). You must have worked for your employer for at least 1 year during your lifetime and at least 1,250 hours in the last calendar year to qualify.
  • If you are especially vulnerable to COVID-19, such as if you are immunocompromised or potentially if elderly, you may be considered disabled and your employer may have to allow you unpaid leave or telecommuting options as a reasonable accommodation for disability under the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) or Americans with Disability Act (ADA). FEHA applies to workplaces with 5 or more employees.

If You Have to Care For Someone Else

  • You can use accrued paid sick leave and Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL), if available, to care for a family member who is sick or quarantined with COVID-19. EPSL pay for this purpose is capped at $200 per day and $2,000 total.
  • If caring for a family member ill or quarantined by COVID-19, with medical certification, you may be eligible for Paid Family Leave (PFL), which provides the same benefit as SDI of 60-70 percent of wages up to a maximum of $1,300 per week, but only for up to 6 weeks.

Where to Apply for Benefits or Get Help

  • If you have questions about your rights or need assistance, contact Warehouse Worker Resource Center at 951-394-0236,, or by private message on Facebook.
  • To apply for Unemployment Insurance (UI), State Disability Insurance (SDI), or Paid Family Leave (PFL), contact the California Employment Development Department at or through the phone number for each program listed online.
  • To file a complaint for unsafe working conditions, contact your local Cal/OSHA office at
  • To file a complaint for paid sick leave denial or retaliation, health and safety retaliation, or wage theft, contact the California Labor Commissioner’s Office at
  • To file a Workers’ Compensation claim, get a claim form from the California Division of Workers’ Compensation at

Housing Rights

The Governor’s order of March 27 prohibits landlords from evicting tenants who are unable to pay rent due to illness, caring for an ill loved one, having to take off work to care for children who are out of school due to closures, or due to layoffs or a reduction in hours. Other requirements include paying rent according to an agreement, and that tenants retain any documentation they have regarding illness, layoffs, etc. until all back rent is due. Tenants are required to inform their landlord of their inability to pay within 7 days of the rent’s being due. Tenant advocates recommend communicating their situation in writing.

There has been NO forgiveness of rent. The governor’s order does not establish how long tenants will have to pay back the rent they owe.

This order is in effect until May 31.

Coachella | Rancho Cucamonga 

Protections for Tenants

In California, a landlord may not force a tenant to leave the rental unit without written notices and a court order. A three day notice simply starts a process that may well take over a month to finish. Do not believe a landlord who is threatening immediate action.

  • AB 291 prohibits landlords from sharing tenants’ personal information with immigration authorities and from threatening to report tenants to ICE.
  • Under Governor Newsom’s order of March 16, Landlords are prohibited from price gouging, which is defined as either raising the rent above 10% or evicting a current tenant for the purposes of moving in a new, higher-paying tenant.
  • AB 1482 protects tenants who live in apartment buildings that are more than 15 years old and who have been residing in their units for more than one year. It prohibits landlords from increasing rent to more than 5% plus the regional rate of inflation (2.8% for Riverside/San Bernardino Counties) more than what renters were paying on March 15, 2019.
  • AB 1482 requires landlords to have a reason to evict renters (such as non-payment of rent or a serious violation of the lease), or if through no fault of their own (such as a major remodel, government order, or for the landlord to move in themselves or have a close relative move in), requires relocation assistance.

At this time, courts are closed and landlords are not able to file eviction cases and no eviction trials are being held. San Bernardino courts reopen April 2, while Riverside courts are set to reopen on April 3.

Protections for Homeowners:

The Federal Housing Finance Administration (FHFA) has suspended foreclosures and ordered Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac-backed lenders to be flexible with mortgage payments. That can mean a “pause” in payments or a reduction in the monthly mortgage payment. It is not automatic. Contact your lender to make arrangements.

For non-FHA backed loans, Governor Newson reached an agreement with four major banks (Wells Fargo, US Bank, Citibank, and JP Morgan Chase) and 200 state-chartered credit unions for 90-day mortgage waivers for those affected by COVID-19. Bank of America committed to a 30-day waiver. Mortgage holders should reach out to their lender to make arrangements.

Public Utilities:

The California Public Utilities Commission has stated that there will be no shutoffs of public utilities that are under their jurisdiction.

Low Cost Internet:

Sigma Xi Beta

  • Ask about free chromebooks
  • Not paying for wifi for the first two months
  • Low cost afterward for low-income communities

Census 2020

Census 2020 is here! In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, it is still crucial to complete the census to make sure your community is accurately counted and receives the resources it needs. Some households are now receiving census forms via postal mail from the Census Bureau containing a unique 12-digit Census ID.

Census 2020 will not ask you for social security information or immigration status.

This information will not be shared with any other entity. This funds everything in the community that immigrants benefit from.

Census participation takes roughly 10 minutes and can easily be completed:

● Online by visiting (Support in various languages)

● Over the phone by calling 844-468-2020 (Support in various languages)

● Returning by mail the paper questionnaire containing your unique 12-digit Census ID

NALEO Hotline:

  • Hagase Contar Hotline: (877) EL-CENSO (877-352-3676)