10.1 & 10.6 Area and Perimeter Activity
- Ruler or measuring tape
After learning about area and perimeter, students will locate items in the classroom and find their area and perimeter.
- Students may work with a partner, group, or individually.
- Choose an item around the classroom. Suggested flat rectangular surfaces: desktop, whiteboard, bulletin board, floor tile, book front
- Identify the specific shape name of the object. (square, rectangle, etc.)
- Measure the width and length of the chosen object and record the measurements with the correct units.
- Calculate the area and perimeter of the object.
- Label units correctly for both the area and perimeter.
- Trade objects with a partner and check their work.
Activity may be repeated with other shapes after learning how to calculate their area and perimeter in later lessons.