The Isle Royale Queen IV
GENERAL BOARDING INFORMATION
DEPARTURE STATUS: See the Latest News section at the top of the Schedule & Fares and Boarding Information pages at www.isleroyale.com to find out if the ferry is departing on schedule or is delayed.
CHECK-IN: Arrive 30-45 minutes before 8:00 AM departure (EASTERN TIME). Check in at the office. Park and unload gear in parking lot or unload on the dock. Parking, directed by attendant, begins at 7:00 AM. Canoes and kayaks must be empty of gear except paddles and life-preservers and ready for loading on the ferry by 7:15 AM. Return check-in at Isle Royale is 30 minutes before 2:45 PM departure.
LUGGAGE: 70 pounds of gear per person are allowed. No single piece of gear may exceed 70 pounds. We lift all gear to stow in bins on the top deck, including fishing poles and walking sticks. Passengers are allowed to carry one (1) small piece of luggage per person in the cabins (cabins have no storage bins). Small means that the luggage will fit in a 1x1x1 milk crate.
We do not transport gasoline, but do transport stove fuel. Stove fuel in bottles with twist-on caps are stored separately. Sealed, plug-in fuel canisters may be stored in your gear. Also, no need to fill water bottles before crossing. Potable water is available at the Rock Harbor Visitors Center.
NEW CANCELLATION POLICY: There is no refund if you cancel your reservation less than ONE WEEK (7 Days) before departure time. Cancellations received with more than ONE WEEK notice will be sent an 85% refund. If canceling a group of 10 people or more, notice of TWO WEEKS is required for an 85% refund.
ISLE ROYALE USER FEE: The NPS levies a User Fee for Isle Royale: $7.00 per day (not per night) per person 16 years and older, or $60.00 for an annual Isle Royale Pass that covers the pass-holder and 3 other people for any length of stay. ALL nationwide passes now cover the fee. Pay the fee ahead at www.pay.gov. Consult the NPS's web site for complete information: www.nps.gov/isro/
PARKING CHARGES: Parking begins no sooner than 7:00 AM on sailing days. Charges for parking: $10 per night for cars, vans, and trucks ($30 maximum), $15 per night for cars or vans with trailers ($45 max.), and $20 per night for RVs over 24 feet and car-trailer units over 40 feet (NO maximum) Call, write, or visit our website for information on parking fees and procedures. No camping of any kind -- in cars, tents, trailers, or RVs -- is allowed at any time in our parking lot.
DEPOSIT: A full-fare deposit is required. Most credit cards accepted.
DIRECTIONS: Follow US-41 to Copper Harbor. Go straight through the only traffic light and go 2 blocks to the waterfront. Turn right and go 1 block east. The entrance to the dock is on your left, parking is on your right. Online maps and GPS systems find us at 14 Waterfront Landing, at the corner of 5th St. and Brockway Ave. in Copper Harbor or as our former name “Isle Royale Ferry Service.”
COPPER HARBOR LODGING: places to stay (all recommended) with distance from Queen IV dock.
** Minnetonka Resort – (800) 433-2770 -- 3 blocks
** Bella Vista Motel – (877) 888-VIEW -- 2 blocks
** King Copper Motel & Annex – (800) 833-2470 -- motel 1 block, annex next door
** The Pines Resort – (906) 289-4222 -- 4 blocks
** Mariner North Resort – (888) MA-NORTH -- 3 blocks
** North Port Motel – (906) 289-4477 -- 2 blocks
** Keweenaw Mountain Lodge – (906) 289-4403 -- 1 mile south on US-41
** Brockway Inn – (906) 289-4588 -- 5 blocks
** Fort Wilkins State Park (campground only) – (906) 289-4215 or (800) 477-2757
1 mile east on US-41
** Lake Fanny Hooe Resort (motel and campground) – (800) 426-4451 -- 5 blocks
** Bear Den Cabin – (906) 289-3483 -- 4 blocks
** Eagle Lodge Lakeside (888) 558-4441 -- 1.5 miles west on M-26
** Dapple-Gray Bed and Breakfast -- (866) 909-1233 -- 1 mile west on M-26
* GUIDE to ISLE ROYALE. Captain Ben Kilpela has an excellent pamphlet on visiting IR, “Exploring Northeast Isle Royale.” It’s available at www.lulu.com or from our offices by phone.
* NATIONAL PARK SERVICE: the official website for Isle Royale is www.nps.gov/isro/
* WATER TAXI SERVICE: The Rock Harbor Lodge provides charter service and some regular runs in Rock Harbor. Call 906-337-4993. Also, the Voyageur II from Grand Portage, MN, circumnavigates the island 3 times per week in summer making a few stops in the backcountry. See www.isleroyaleboats.com for more information. Be aware that the Voyageur II and Isle Royale Queen IV schedules do NOT easily coordinate.
* We seldom delay or cancel trips because of weather, but it can happen. All trips are subject to safe sailing conditions.See our FAQs.
* Canoes and kayaks can be rented through the Rock Harbor Lodge. Call 906-337-4993.
* For motion discomfort, your physician can prescribe Transderm Scop. Other remedies are available without prescription. Ginger is a common natural remedy.
* The Queen IV does not carry motorboats of any size. The Ranger III does carry boats 20 feet in length.
* Boats and gear are transported ONLY for our passengers.
* Domestic animals are not allowed on Isle Royale.
Our schedule and fares
Isle Royale’s Annual Newspaper