Foreign Language Accents on Chromebooks
Log into Chromebook with your Newton ID (doesn’t work in Guest mode)
Top right of Chrome, click on 3 verticle dots; Select More tools
Get more extensions
Select + Add to Chrome
Once added, select it once installed in extensions bar. Select Extension Options, then add the language you are typing in (not keyboard -- actual language), and it will guess accents. Or you can install keyboard to force people to choose letters with accents.
Longer/More difficult way:
First, change your keyboard to the international keyboard:
- On the right hand side of the ChromeBook go to the three bars on the right and choose Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and look for Show advanced settings
- Scroll down to Languages and input settings
- Put a checkmark next to US international keyboard
- Click Done
- You will see US in the bottom right. Click on US.
- Scroll up to US keyboard and choose INTL
- For French: Click the "Add" button & Select "French"
While in INTL mode:
French accents :
- backtick-e makes an è (grave) -- backtick is ` top left key
- rightalt-e makes an é (aigu)
- backtick-a makes à -- backtick is` top left key
- rightalt-a makes á
- rightalt-5 makes € (Euro)
- rightalt-comma makes ç (cedille)
- rightshift-6 then a makes â (circonflexe)
- leftalt-shift to change keyboard to “EXTD” and then:
Spanish (either mode):
rightalt-n makes ñ
shift-rightalt-1 makes a ¡
rightalt-? makes a ¿